Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2021 11:09:52(UTC)
chris42

Hi All

I have just been asked about first aid at work refresher training. Our well known first aid training provider provides a “blended” training option of 1 day online and one day practical. This sounds like a practical option at the moment, but is this acceptable? I can’t think why but I thought to be considered valid, you had to attend.

Is this just a temporary solution in our current times or is this a valid alternative going forward?

Anyone have any views on acceptability or experience of this?

Cheers

Chris

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2021 11:42:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

The difference between the day on-line and the day practical being?

The HSE web site states requalifications for FAW & EFAW must be competed by 31st March 2021

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/first-aid-and-medicals/first-aid-certificate-coronavirus.htm#qualifications

If this is their catch-up technique not sure you need to be "present" given the resusscitation council has offered dispensation regarding rescue breaths

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2021 11:42:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

The difference between the day on-line and the day practical being?

The HSE web site states requalifications for FAW & EFAW must be competed by 31st March 2021

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/first-aid-and-medicals/first-aid-certificate-coronavirus.htm#qualifications

If this is their catch-up technique not sure you need to be "present" given the resusscitation council has offered dispensation regarding rescue breaths

chris42  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2021 12:47:13(UTC)
chris42

Thanks, Roundtuit for the link. The difference between the two days are:

Our new blended approach to first aid requalification training is a mixture of:

• One day of self-directed online learning through a series of modules completed at your own pace including: The role of the first aider, Managing an emergency and less practical topics like Asthma and Low blood sugar.
  • One day of face-to-face training in the classroom for practical topics like CPR, recovery position, choking and severe bleeding.

Obviously HSE recommends annual training, but a Little concerned that the above two day refresher which should be valid for 3 years, they are going to say “after Covid) is not good enough and next year do another 2 days refresher. That HSE link indicates it supports the annual training to be online (once) then back to face to face next time, but a little vague on the recert.

Not convinced now about this blended idea.

Chris

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2021 12:55:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

Until we can be sure none of the trainees are carriers I think actual ressucitation model training is going to be limited to chest compressions. At least current trainees are saved from the taste of the disinfectant wipe

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 19/02/2021(UTC), chris42 on 19/02/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2021 12:55:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

Until we can be sure none of the trainees are carriers I think actual ressucitation model training is going to be limited to chest compressions. At least current trainees are saved from the taste of the disinfectant wipe

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 19/02/2021(UTC), chris42 on 19/02/2021(UTC)
johnc  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2021 13:36:50(UTC)
johnc

The one day on line is about subjects that don't have a real practical element where under the older way the instructor would have just told trainees what to do. Provided the on line bit has checks on knowledge retention then don't see it being a problem. The refresher certificate will be valid for three years regardless of any changes to the course. The blended learning is a very good option at this time.
thanks 1 user thanked johnc for this useful post.
chris42 on 19/02/2021(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2021 13:56:59(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

• One day of self-directed online learning through a series of modules completed at your own pace including: The role of the first aider, Managing an emergency and less practical topics like Asthma and Low blood sugar.
  • One day of face-to-face training in the classroom for practical topics like CPR, recovery position, choking and severe bleeding.

Obviously HSE recommends annual training, but a Little concerned that the above two day refresher which should be valid for 3 years, they are going to say “after Covid) is not good enough and next year do another 2 days refresher. That HSE link indicates it supports the annual training to be online (once) then back to face to face next time, but a little vague on the recert.

Chris

I am confused.  Are you asking about refresher training (which is not compulsory) or requalification (which is)?

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2021 15:19:00(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

The current edition of the HSE guidance on First Aid, L74 is dated 2018 so predates the pandemic.

L74 provides an imprimatur for a blended learning approach, but does set out some caveats.

P

Acorns  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2021 15:48:28(UTC)
Acorns

If being hands on is not absolutely essential.  A little dubious about the self-managed online part. If it would have been face to face and no hands on, then why not continue with the online face-face. It ensures the trainer can impact the refresher part of the course as well asn answer any questions raised by the attendees.    Unless it essential for hands on training then why not put it to online interactive.   I wouldn't be too concerned about what the HSE or guidance may be in the future in terms of being asked to do another 2 days - they could equally recue it to 1 day or increase to 3.  I'd manage the circs as they are presented today.

chris42  
#11 Posted : 21 February 2021 21:08:54(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post

Chris

I am confused.  Are you asking about refresher training (which is not compulsory) or requalification (which is)?

It was requalification at 2 days that I was asking about, ( Refresher is only 1/2 a day once a year). My bad for not using the correct term. I just consider in my head that they have to redo it, so it is refreshing their knowledge.

Thanks all. I'm not a first aider not particularly good with blood especially if it is comeing out of someone, I can handle my own to an extent. The two days seem split where one is as hands on as they are allowed and the other is effectivly class room/ info passing. As I have never done the training I was unsure if this is a good split. To be honest I that all of it was hands on.

Thanks all for your comments and was unaware there was some provision in HSE guidance, which I will review when back in work tomorrow. They do seem to still be offering the 2 days at their training, so they will be meeting with the same people, I may discuss with the first aiders before deciding and take their views into account.

Chris

SLord80  
#12 Posted : 22 February 2021 22:36:54(UTC)
SLord80

Originally Posted by: O' Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Roundtuit for the link. The difference between the two days are:Our new blended approach to first aid requalification training is a mixture of:
    <li>One day of self-directed online learning through a series of modules completed at your own pace including: The role of the first aider, Managing an emergency and less practical topics like Asthma and Low blood sugar. </li><li>One day of face-to-face training in the classroom for practical topics like CPR, recovery position, choking and severe bleeding.</li>
Obviously HSE recommends annual training, but a Little concerned that the above two day refresher which should be valid for 3 years, they are going to say “after Covid) is not good enough and next year do another 2 days refresher. That HSE link indicates it supports the annual training to be online (once) then back to face to face next time, but a little vague on the recert.Not convinced now about this blended idea.Chris
I am confused. Are you asking about refresher training (which is not compulsory) or requalification (which is)?
It was requalification at 2 days that I was asking about, ( Refresher is only 1/2 a day once a year). My bad for not using the correct term.I just consider in my head that they have to redo it, so it is refreshing their knowledge.Thanks all. I'm not a first aider not particularly good with blood especially if it is comeing out of someone, I can handle myown to an extent. The two days seem split where one is as hands on as they are allowed and the other is effectivly class room/ info passing. As I have never done the training I was unsure if this is a good split. To be honest I that all of it was hands on.Thanks all for your comments and was unaware there was some provision in HSEguidance, which I will review when back in work tomorrow. They do seem to still be offering the 2 days at their training, so they will be meeting with the same people, I may discuss with the first aiders before deciding and take their views into account.Chris
Blended learning is acceptable. However, many first aid providers are still providing the 2 day face to face course, so you can choose this if you wish.
SLord80  
#13 Posted : 22 February 2021 22:41:00(UTC)
SLord80

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
Breaths still mandatory for paediatrics thankfully not for adults.