Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kwaddington  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2021 09:42:30(UTC)
kwaddington

Hi all,

I have recently taken on the position of H&S Advisor for an engineering company, the company carry out lots of lifting using cranes, slings, eyebolts etc.  It is kind of new to me, I havent been involved in this level of lifting before however; I have a question regarding eyebolts.  I know they should be etched but do you know where I etch it as I know it can weaken the metal??  Also; what do you etch onto it?  Some of the eyebolts have just had some metal taken out of them?  Surely that is not right??  Sorry if this is a dum question but I really have no idea and have asked for training on this but not received any.  Thank you

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2021 09:58:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Every eye bolt I recall seeing was either manufacturer marked (forged/stamped) or had a metal identity disc attached.

If these are purchased rather than an in-house manufacture why not talk to the company your employer is purchasing them from.

Alternativley have a chat with the insurer conducting your statutory lifting equipment inspections.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kwaddington on 26/02/2021(UTC), kwaddington on 26/02/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2021 09:58:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Every eye bolt I recall seeing was either manufacturer marked (forged/stamped) or had a metal identity disc attached.

If these are purchased rather than an in-house manufacture why not talk to the company your employer is purchasing them from.

Alternativley have a chat with the insurer conducting your statutory lifting equipment inspections.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
kwaddington on 26/02/2021(UTC), kwaddington on 26/02/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2021 11:56:18(UTC)
peter gotch

KW - it's not a dumb Q.

Your gut feeling is that gouging a bit of metal out of an eyebolt isn't right. My gut feeling is that the notion is positively scary!

Section 26(1)(a) of the Factories Act 1961 [consolidating part of Section 23 of the 1937 Act] said

"no chain, rope of lifting tackle shall be used unless it is .......free from patent defect".

Deliberately cutting out a bit of metal on an eyebolt is introducing a patent defect. 

These rules were made with good reason!

Just like the rule that says that you cannot paint wooden scaffold boards as the paint can obscure cracks [custom and practice says that the owners of scaffold boards can add a splash of paint at each end to denote ownership]. 

chris42  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2021 12:30:50(UTC)
chris42

The exact solution you require, would depend exactly on what you have. Ie if all eyebolts are the same rating then you just need to denote they have been inspected. We used to do this with colour coded cable ties for a given period of time. Other methods are dog tags, which can be engraved or stamped with an identifier ( if tag missing don’t use -they will come off now and then!), but still needs a visible identifier to user as passed last inspection ( paint / cable tie etc). There are also plastic dog tag labels, which information can be recorded on. Why not discuss with the people who do your statutory inspection for their recommendation for your set up. But hopefully the above are some things to consider.

I agree with other machining bits off, or engraving or hard stamping can all weaken or add stress raisers to the item (scary is a good word). Not a good idea IMHO. You can get low stress stamps, but still would be reluctant to do that to these types of item.

Chris