Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jordanL  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2021 08:56:13(UTC)
jordanL

Hello, 

I am just after some advice. 

I work for a frabircation/engineerign company and part of our operations are heating and cuttign using propane/oxygen set up. We have a 2 to 3 sets of these gas bottles ready for use at any one time and these are stored together in a corner of the workshop not protected, but away from any traffic etc. I'm concerned as these are 'stored' in this area we shoudl be storing them seperately/outside etc. However, the team leader argues that these are 'in use' as they are used several times a week. I'm just concerned as there is flamables with oxygen. 

Anyway, reading HSG139 it does make provisions for 'in use' cylinders and these are handled in this manner.

Am i worryoing about somethign that is not an issue?

Edited by user 02 March 2021 10:54:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Holliday42333  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2021 09:01:00(UTC)
Holliday42333

Below is a summary of the guidance regarding the storage requirements for compressed gas bottles.  Most of this guidance is from British Compressed Gas Association Code of Practice 44.  There is some other guidance from HSE (namely a webpage on drum/cylinder handling http://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech/techmeascylinder.htm and HSG51- Storage of flammable liquids in containers)

All the guidance is consistent that ideally storage should be outside.  If storage is to be considered inside none of the guidance describes cylinder cages, rather fire resisting compartments with designed ventilation is specified.  The HSE wording (from the webpage) is as follows “If stored indoors, flammable gases may only be stored in purpose built compartments or buildings constructed with fire resistant walls and explosion relief.”

Storage outside

• Storage area must be subject to Hazardous Area classification under DSEAR (HSE)
  • For storage of less than 10 cylinders a cage may be used (BCGA CP44 5.14)
  • Cage should have means of securing individual containers from falling ie chains (BCGA CP44 5.14.1)
  • Cage should be 3m from site boundary or smoking areas (BCGA CP44 App2)
  • Cage should be 2m from fire exits and escape routes (BCGA CP44 App2)
  • Cage should be within 30m of a Fire Extinguisher (HSG51 Para 131)
  • Cage should be positioned to avoid theft and tampering (BCGA CP44 5.3)
  • 2m either side of the cage up to a height of 9m above ground should be imperforate and of a minimum 30 mins fire resisting construction if sited against a wall (BCGA CP44 5.4.1)

Temporary storage outside of the cage should be time limited “typically no longer than a shift or working day, at the end of which unused containers and those part-used and nominally empty are returned to the permanent storage facility” (HSG54 Para 225)

jordanL  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2021 12:04:05(UTC)
jordanL

Thanks for the reply, very informative. 

Could you advise where i can find HSG54? I can 't see anythign and when i search it comes up with LEV systems...

chris42  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2021 12:19:58(UTC)
chris42

The team leader is correct you are allowed in use sets inside. Possibly questionable why 3 sets if only used a couple of times a week, but that is down to your RA.

Anyway you want HSG139  and look at the top of page 23.

Your not looking for storage as such otherwise the above is what you want, but in use rules, ie on a trolley or chained to wall, ventilated etc. At least you have oxygen and Propane (not Acetylene).

Have a read an enjoy.

Chris

Holliday42333  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2021 13:42:00(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: jordanL Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the reply, very informative. 

Could you advise where i can find HSG54? I can 't see anythign and when i search it comes up with LEV systems...

Sorry, that is a typo.  HSG51 is what you want.

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 03 March 2021 10:30:44(UTC)
CptBeaky

Without seeing the set up it is hard to give accurate advice.

Our "in use" gas bottles are stored in our welding bay. They are chained (and padlocked) to the wall, so that they cannot fall over. Obviously, being in the welding bay also ensures they are not stored near any flammables.

Your post makes it sound like they may be stored near flammables, and makes no reference to how they are supported. If this is the case, these are things you need to change. No cage is needed indoors though, just a means for ensuring they don't fall over.

The only other advice would be to go through the usual heirachy. For example, do you need them? Can you reduce the numbers stored? etc.

Acorns  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2021 08:35:38(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

Our "in use" gas bottles are stored in our welding bay. They are chained (and padlocked) to the wall, so that they cannot fall over. Obviously, being in the welding bay also ensures they are not stored near any flammables.

out of interest and to understand the reasoning, why are they padlocked? Doesn't that creat a problem if there is a fire nearby, they wouldn't easily be ableto be moved outside?

CptBeaky  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2021 09:44:09(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post

out of interest and to understand the reasoning, why are they padlocked? Doesn't that creat a problem if there is a fire nearby, they wouldn't easily be ableto be moved outside?

That is an interesting point. Currently it is to stop unauthorised use. They are unlocked when in use. The key is kept close by. There are no flammable materials in the room, and we do have early warning systems for a fire within the room. That being said I will look into the risks of un-authorised use, vs the fire risk.

CptBeaky  
#9 Posted : 04 March 2021 10:04:57(UTC)
CptBeaky

As a polititian would say "I have mis-remembered the details"

It turns out our bottles are chained, but just on hooks, whereas the actual welding equipment is padlocked. It all makes much more sense now. *insert bashful emoji here*

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 04 March 2021 10:05:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

If I am not stopping to collect a coat during a fire evacuation why would I want to try and move gas cylinders?

At our site we use a carabiner on the end of the chain to secure cylinders upright.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
biker1 on 04/03/2021(UTC), biker1 on 04/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 04 March 2021 10:05:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

If I am not stopping to collect a coat during a fire evacuation why would I want to try and move gas cylinders?

At our site we use a carabiner on the end of the chain to secure cylinders upright.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
biker1 on 04/03/2021(UTC), biker1 on 04/03/2021(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#12 Posted : 04 March 2021 11:29:30(UTC)
Holliday42333

Looking at this topic again, from my point of view the critical definition appears to be 'in use'.

I have dealt with this a couple of times (once the exact scenario described by the original poster).  Both times I have been very fortunate to have had access to a couple of VERY experienced and competent ex-fire officers for advice/guidance.

'In use' is ok inside secured upright etc as other posters have stated.  (Make sure there is also a mechanism to inform attending fire crews of their location and type should a fire brake out).

What about days the sets are not being used?  Cylinders then should be stored outside in cages etc or in designated fire resistant areas/rooms if inside.

What about overnight (if not 24hr) operation? Cylinders then should be stored outside in cages etc or in designated fire resistant areas/rooms if inside.

Picture this (actually real) scenario.  Insurance assessor doing an audit enters a welding bay.  Cylinders secured in a wall rack; another set secured on a trolley.  "Why are these inside?" says auditor.  "They are the 'in use' equipment" says the Fab Shop Manager.  "OK can I speak to whoever is working in here today please to make sure they understand that the cylinder controls?"  "Er actually he's on leave today"

Outcome; cylinders not in use, not in outside storage area, non-conformance and ongoing issues with global fire insurance cover  Made quite clear that insurance would not have been in place had a fire broken out that effected the building containing the welding bay due to incorrect storage of flammable cylinders.  Cyclinders moved outside into caged storage and piped through wall.

Hired propane space heaters in portal frame workshops is the other classic.  Store them inside overnight (which firms do as they wont have an outside cage etc) and you will probably find your insurance is invalidated.  Fire crews hate them.

Edited by user 04 March 2021 11:36:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/03/2021(UTC)
chris42  
#13 Posted : 04 March 2021 12:42:37(UTC)
chris42

I differ with regard to this. The extract from the HSG139, states it is permissible to keep cylinders “Ready for use” inside a building and even a spare. Once we change the regulator over to a new bottle it stays on it, otherwise you risk damaging the threads or getting them dirty (or worse oily/ greasy). I would not want the regulators or hoses to be out in the rain, snow, freezing temperatures. It is quite common practice that they are kept indoors once on their trollies in sets.

Insurance companies can be a law unto themselves and do not always see sense and have to be convinced.

No, we would not drag the sets outside in a fire, thee is little to no guidance on this I have looked in the past. You don’t want this equipment on the fire route and you don’t want someone to go back and get it and attempt to wheel it outside over door thresholds etc. They are generally heavy!

If you think about it, a set on a trolly will have 3 safeguards to leakage, the bottle valve, the regulator which will be turned off and the torch which will be turned off. A bottle on its own will just have the bottle valve.

Yes, fire brigade hate them I agree, and if acetylene will put a 200m exclusion around your building and may need to play water to cool the bottles down for some time.  This is covered in the fire brigade guidance.

From HSG139

Cylinders connected for use

63 Cylinders ready for use and connected to equipment may be kept inside a workroom. A spare cylinder of fuel gas and oxygen may also be kept there. Both the connected and the spare cylinders should be securely mounted in wheeled trolleys or safely fixed against a wall or otherwise prevented from falling over. They should be in a well-ventilated area within the workroom and well away from any combustible materials.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 04/03/2021(UTC), aud on 08/03/2021(UTC)
Holliday42333  
#14 Posted : 04 March 2021 14:11:12(UTC)
Holliday42333

Chris, everything you say is relevant.  Again I would suggets the crux of the matter is 'use' versus 'storage'.