Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tomhenery  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2021 12:07:48(UTC)
Tomhenery

Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a competency issue here.

We have had banksman turn up to our site to bank excavators although they only hold a traffic marshall competency.

As far as im aware this only allows them to bank anything with tires. What is the official competency to bank an excavator that will be solely digging and not conducting lifting operations?

Thank you.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2021 12:40:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most signalling is referenced in The Health & Safety (Safety Signs & Signals) Regulations - with essentially one set of signals common to all vehicles why do you state their competence is solely for vehicles with tyres?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2021 12:40:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Most signalling is referenced in The Health & Safety (Safety Signs & Signals) Regulations - with essentially one set of signals common to all vehicles why do you state their competence is solely for vehicles with tyres?

Acorns  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2021 07:59:18(UTC)
Acorns

Hi Tom,  are you suggesting the banks an needs to be able to drive the vehicle being manoeuvred.  I'd suggest not, and the HSE doesn't require it   Being willing to,convey the right info to the operator surely is the key, rather than being limited to being able to driver a truck or operate a crane/ crawler. 

Kim Hedges  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2021 14:32:21(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Confusion abounds in recruitment agencies - simply not understanding the trade cards everyone uses.  

I am a Slinger Signaller Banksman - I can assist all plant around a site.  This is a CPCS card, category A40A (All types all duties).   I CANNOT ACT AS A TRAFFIC MARSHALL. 

A Traffic Marshall, is simply a person who stands on the front gate or internal gates of a site, taking details from those coming onto a site or those going between higher and lower risk areas.  They are not security, which is a different function and job.  A Traffic marshall, cannot direct plant (lead plant down a site road or give directions to plant such as cranes, road rollers, trucks, dumpers, etc.) - most importantly they are not issured.  

Blackburn31728  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2021 12:28:03(UTC)
Blackburn31728

A73 cover plant vehicle marshallling training via CITB for construction sites