Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kate  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2021 15:31:58(UTC)
Kate

Can anyone convince me that it is worthwhile putting a fire extinguisher in a company car?

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2021 16:35:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Absolutely not.

The typical 1kg powder extinguisher has little benefit for an engine bay fire.

They are not even beneficial to aid escape from a vehicle often being relegated to the boot having bruised many an ankle in the passenger footwell.

Our local brigade strongly advises against these things as they tempt have a go heroes in to popping the bonnet which then lets more air in to spread the fire.

Then we move across to the use of significant sized batteries in hybrid and fully electric vehicles.

But then you already knew this....

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 07/04/2021(UTC), Kate on 07/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC), MikeKelly on 07/04/2021(UTC), Kate on 07/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2021 16:35:48(UTC)
Roundtuit

Absolutely not.

The typical 1kg powder extinguisher has little benefit for an engine bay fire.

They are not even beneficial to aid escape from a vehicle often being relegated to the boot having bruised many an ankle in the passenger footwell.

Our local brigade strongly advises against these things as they tempt have a go heroes in to popping the bonnet which then lets more air in to spread the fire.

Then we move across to the use of significant sized batteries in hybrid and fully electric vehicles.

But then you already knew this....

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 07/04/2021(UTC), Kate on 07/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC), MikeKelly on 07/04/2021(UTC), Kate on 07/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2021 17:48:10(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Kate.

No, I can't!

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 07/04/2021(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2021 17:08:59(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

I have used an in car mounted extinguisher three times in my near 30 years of driving.

Once on a bin fire at the side of the office, I used another to seperate two fighting dobermans on my way to work one morning and once to smash a window to help extracate a victim of a smash who ended up upside down in a ditch.

I also watched two young lads burn to death in an accident 30 years ago, the smell of which I can remember to this day!  A 1kg extinguisher wouldnt have made any difference to the outcome (unless everyone carried them and we could have used 20 of them) apart from easing the sense of complete impotence at being able to do nothing!

thanks 3 users thanked Dazzling Puddock for this useful post.
Kate on 09/04/2021(UTC), aud on 26/04/2021(UTC), webstar on 04/05/2021(UTC)
RitishHSE  
#6 Posted : 09 April 2021 04:23:18(UTC)
RitishHSE

1 kg fire extinguishers are too small in capacity to be able to handle fires in the engine bay.

However, I have used the "Fire Ball extinguishers" on an occasion to extinguish a car fire.

I think that fitting one of these in the engine bay could help.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2021 07:26:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

You don't see reputable manufacturers marketing such devices for vehicle fires.

Diesel engine fires when they start have a tendency to keep burning until everything has been combusted including the engine oil within the sump an enclosed area which the extinguisher medium will not reach.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2021 07:26:24(UTC)
Roundtuit

You don't see reputable manufacturers marketing such devices for vehicle fires.

Diesel engine fires when they start have a tendency to keep burning until everything has been combusted including the engine oil within the sump an enclosed area which the extinguisher medium will not reach.

Alan Haynes  
#9 Posted : 09 April 2021 09:24:43(UTC)
Alan Haynes

If you do fit the extinguisher to the car, put it in the boot - at least then, the driver has to get out of the car to use it.

biker1  
#10 Posted : 09 April 2021 14:22:02(UTC)
biker1

I can't really recommend it either, for the reasons others have stated. The important thing is to stop and get clear of the car as quickly as possible. In my time in the gases industry, cylinder trucks were obliged to carry fire extinguishers, which I was always sceptical about. Did we want drivers trying to tackle a fire in the middle of gas cylinders? I went to one customer's premises, and between cages containing a variety of cylinders, there was a fire hydrant complete with hoses. They were surprised when I suggested they remove the hoses and blank off the hydrant. I had to ask if they really wanted employees playing Fireman Sam in the middle of gas cylinders. Mind you, at the same premises, they had a small bore pipeline carrying Acetylene under the building, including under the cafeteria. In answer to my question as to whether they leak tested it (no), I asked if they noticed the beefburgers cooking quickly in the cafe, but I don't think they twigged.

Gerry Knowles  
#11 Posted : 13 April 2021 14:35:23(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

Despite the fact that I have a fire extingusher in my car, but only because that are a number of countries across Europe that require you to carry one, I would not recommend having or using one.  I firmly believe that the best way for a person to deal with a  car fire is to get out  into clear air and get as far away from it as you can and stay there.  Let the emergency services deal with it.   

The point being is that cars can be replaced, we can't replace people.  So get out and let it burn. 

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/04/2021(UTC)
John Murray  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2021 17:25:08(UTC)
John Murray

Most cars, modern ones, cut-off the fuel when the ignition/start switch is off, and in an accident there is a collision cut-off.

Hopefully it won't be an LPG fuelled vehicle!

The insurance cost of repairing the road will be high at £400/square metre!

Don't leave the baby in the back when you exit (don't laugh....)