Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2007 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mark limon I did post this on the study forum but I would like peoples opinions on union sponsored safety courses usefulness or not.I have attended some very good and some not so good in my time as a safety rep. This is a course on which I have just been sent information by the TUC.Its held over 36 days plus project work. http://www.ccn.ac.uk/ccn3/general/tus/ It doesnt say at what level the qualification is,Im wondering if the fact it is ran by the TUC will make it less attractive to future prospective employers and what IOSH think of it in meeting their criteria for different levels of membership.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2007 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Mark, I am not familiar with a TUC Diploma level course and having checked the TUC website can't find anything relating to this, although it could,of course, be new. The TUC Certificate in Health and Safety is of a similar length to the Diploma you mention and is accredited by IOSH as meeting the academic requirements for Technician Membership (Tech IOSH). My guess is that it is this course that is referred to. Quite a number of current IOSH members have used this route to membership over the years and many have gone on to undertake one of the higher level accredited qualifications following this. As well as being a level 3 course it does give access to higher education. If anyone does know anything more about a Diploma from TUC can you let me know please as well as Mark. Hazel Harvey Director of Professional Affairs
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2007 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pete Longworth The TUC ran a course a couple of years ago that was accepted by IOSH as providing the entry requirement for TechSP status. I don't know about this course but IOSH certainly seem prepared to accept the validity of TUC courses. In my experience TUC courses are generally run very professionally, certainly more professionally than the NEBOSH L6 course that I went on. However I've no doubt that there are good and bad TUC course providers just as in any area of training.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2007 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mark limon Hi Hazel,its definitely the diploma,I have the prospectus TUC Diploma Courses are also available. These courses run over one year and include the Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, the Diploma in Contemporary Trade Unionism and the Diploma in Employment Law. This is from the link on the original posting from Norwich College, Mark
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2007 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By DP Mark - I have no experience of the TUC Diploma but i have worked with quite a few Union Safety reps who have attended the Stage 1 and 2 courses. Having reviewed the course material I feel they are both excellent courses. I can only presume that the standard would continue with the Diploma. DP.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2007 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mark limon I have received more information and the course concentrates as you would expect on health and safety from the safety reps point of view. Mark
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2007 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Mark, We have been doing a bit of research on the TUC Diploma and it does seem to be at level 3, similar to the Certificate that IOSH accredit. We are undertaking some investigations regarding this as we suspect that there has been a name change and we haven't been notified here at IOSH. As a level 3 course it would meet the academic requirements for Technician Membership. Hazel Harvey
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2007 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey Mark, I have had confirmation from the TUC that the Diploma is the retitled certificate at level 3. This is in line with trials for the new QCF that is currently in development. Thanks for alerting me to this one. Hazel Harvey
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2007 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave Hi all, I contacted Congress House about this and received the following: "The whole TUC Education programme is in the QCA 2nd Phase Test & Trials for the new Qualifications Credit Framework. Within the QCF the qualifications are Awards, Certificates and Diplomas - what was the TUC Certificate Course in Occupational Health & Safety fits the QCF structure for a Diploma qualification. So the TUC Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety is the same TUC course but leads to a QCF Diploma qualification. The TUC Diploma is available at L2 and L3" Gilly
Colleen27  
#10 Posted : 07 May 2021 13:12:04(UTC)
Colleen27

Hi,

im new to the forum, but i have a question re: TUC Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.  I completed the course in 2019 (still waiting on my accreditation and certificate - thanks covid!) until then I wish to apply for a job needing 2 A levels - (which I dont have the traditional route) I have been told this diploma is worth 48 points (36 week course) but that the diploma is equivalent to an AS Level? and not an A Level? As i understand a Level 3 Diploma equates to an A Level? does anyone know anthing different on the matter? I have also completed the IOSH Managing Safely course ( still waiting on certificate - completed March 2021) and from what I see it a level 2 course of study? 

Thanks in advance

Colleen

peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 07 May 2021 16:23:21(UTC)
peter gotch