Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paulwhittle  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2021 15:33:49(UTC)
Paulwhittle

Hi All, 

i am completeting an expectanty mother RA and i have a query on the noise levels. a recent noise assessment has indicated that the noise levels average around 80db but can occasionally spike at 85 db around 10 times per day. As i understand it the noise levels can affect an unborn child from 26 weeks however the area is already a hearing advisory zone. 

Should i consider moving the expectant mother to a quieter part of the factory/ change her job role based on the occasional noise spike to 85db or would it be suffiecent to weigh up the risk of the exposure over the working day and the daily avarage of around 80db?

The noise regs do not give specific guidane on the levels. any thoughts or recommened further reference points? the expectant mother is reviewed every 4-6 weeks dependant on circimstance and can be reviewed at any time. 

The mother is currently happy and doesnt regard the noise levels as a concern

matelot1965  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2021 20:46:59(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi please see the link below from the cdc. On the levels you mention i would not worry too much about moving her to a quieter area of the factory if it causes you problems but understand your rational for wanting to 

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/repro/noise.html

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2021 21:22:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

As Paul is located in SW England what benefit is a link to US CDC guidance when the employer is subject to HASAW / UK legislation?

The CDC guidance states: Sudden loud noises (impact or impulse noise) that are loud enough for you to need hearing protection or that startle you should be avoided during pregnancy.

"noise levels average around 80db but can occasionally spike at 85 db around 10 times per day."

That equates to ten breaches of the guidance provided.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2021 21:22:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

As Paul is located in SW England what benefit is a link to US CDC guidance when the employer is subject to HASAW / UK legislation?

The CDC guidance states: Sudden loud noises (impact or impulse noise) that are loud enough for you to need hearing protection or that startle you should be avoided during pregnancy.

"noise levels average around 80db but can occasionally spike at 85 db around 10 times per day."

That equates to ten breaches of the guidance provided.

ExDeeps  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2021 10:38:25(UTC)
ExDeeps

First, I'm no expert, however, I did do some research around this when I was involved in drawing up guidance re expectant mothers in a power station environment around 10 years ago. There are very specific periods of featal development where problems can occur due to external factors, including the development of hearing function. As the baby develops there are stages where certain nerve / sensory aspects develop strongly and as such high noise but below the noise regs thresholds (Noise will propogate through the mother differently than through air) do pose a risk to the childs hearing development. 

As stated, I am no expert and I doubt anyone on this forum is, best advice is speak to OH requesting input from a genuine expert in the developemnt in hearing of a featus, you may well have to remove the employee from the noise. 

Hope that helps

CptBeaky  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2021 11:02:00(UTC)
CptBeaky

Please take into account the Equality act 2010. You may only treat the expectant mother differently (with regards to H&S) if you would also treat a person who also was vulnerable to the hazard in the same way. This is a minefield. At my place of work, we offer advice and alternatives to expectant mothers, but do not force to do anything. So far they all willingly take the alternative.

Remember the expectant mothers are exposed to loud noises outside of work too, so any advice is normally gratfully received. As an aside, background noise in utero is around 85dB-95dB, so I don't thnk you have too much to worry about, but I would check with an expert.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2021 11:52:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Really curious to see the meter providing such definitive figures in a liquid media rather than the typical air.

Thought it was a hydrophone rather than microphone for submerged metering.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2021 11:52:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Really curious to see the meter providing such definitive figures in a liquid media rather than the typical air.

Thought it was a hydrophone rather than microphone for submerged metering.

Redders  
#9 Posted : 14 September 2021 23:05:03(UTC)
Redders

Applicable regulations and HSE advice refer to risk from noise to the expectant mother so this is what you should concentrate on. Ensure that the daily noise exposure does not exceed the 2nd action level by changing work practices/areas and really emphasise the recommendation for appropriate hearing protection if the 1st action level is exceeded.

firesafety101  
#10 Posted : 16 September 2021 21:43:56(UTC)
firesafety101

While my wife was pregnant 24 years ago we went to see an Indy Rock band in Liverpool called The Real People.  They were LOUD and it was inside small club.  We didn't use ear plugs but decided to next time we saw the band, we have done quite a few times since.

Happy to say my son was born perfectly healthy but we did wonder if that noise would have some affect on him.

Strangely he is now into classical music, quite the opposite.

stevedm  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2021 06:35:01(UTC)
stevedm

haven't we discussed this before?  Just because the UK HSE hasn't brought out any guidance doesn't mean the risk isn't there...yes there is a risk to the unborn from excess noise..research says noise should not be in excess of 80dB (Sweden)...same for Canada and US there were increased risk of NIHL in newborn as a result of exposure to noise hence the CDC guidance..you just need to ensure that you have assessed the risks and record that...