Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stuart Smith  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2021 11:47:45(UTC)
Stuart Smith

Does anyone have a difinitive answer on how mush a drain cover can be raised before it becomes a trip hazard? TIA

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2021 12:16:44(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Stuart

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question.

In the UK, highways authorities tend to adopt "intervention" standards of typically 25mm or 50mm and may vary their assessment according to the volume of traffic using the place where the hazard exists.

...or in other words, take action on a smaller hazard if more people are liable to trip on it.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
HSSnail on 27/09/2021(UTC), johnc on 27/09/2021(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2021 12:44:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There are lots of imponderables:

• Is it is a regularly used walkway or is some only used once in a blue moon
  • Is it well lit
  • Is obvious: a drain cover that sticks up 6 inches is more noticeable and therefore  less of a risk than one that only projects 0.5 inches. Between the two is the cross point between  bleeding obvious and barely noticeable risk
  •  Are the people traversing the route likely to have some sort of disability: it could be a visual impairment or mobility issue or both?
  • Is it the sort of place where people run (and possibly skip and jump) like a playground without really looking?

There’s probably more but its really down to something resembling a risk assessment.

Don’t call it a risk assessment because someone will want to file it or upload it and try make things complicated.

Edited by user 27 September 2021 15:13:04(UTC)  | Reason: spellings

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 27/09/2021(UTC)
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2021 14:11:52(UTC)
chris.packham

As some people, me included, will have tripped over a slightly uneven paving stone, in my case on the platform of a tube station, is there any safe level? Perhaps an alternative approach might be to paint the cover in a bright colour to that someone approaching is aware of it. Won't help the visually impaired of course, but in my experience they tend to be the ones who are careful!

pseudonym  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2021 15:10:19(UTC)
pseudonym

Very quick google search -

Pavements and pedestrians | LBBD

thanks 1 user thanked pseudonym for this useful post.
HSSnail on 28/09/2021(UTC)
HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2021 07:13:35(UTC)
HSSnail

Interseting that it does not say how quickly they will attempt to repair these 3 classes of defects (unless i missed that bit). May be usful in persuading HSE that they are doing everything reasonably practicable to maintain safety - not sure how a civil court would view it.

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2021 07:58:25(UTC)
stevedm

a wee while ago in a land not so far away, I noted 2 sites with significant small claims from slips and trips, all under the £10k mark...investigated and found out they both had significant problems with thier yard...long story short, we marked them made a plan to rectify it over 12 months and communicated it to the workforce...claims still came in after this but were robustly defended on that basis and they virtually stopped overnight...so you can do it, you just hadve to stick to the plan...however defending these, I was luckly as it is generally what the americans would call a crap shoot, as it depends if thier barrister is better than yours on the day..

Sweep  
#8 Posted : 03 October 2021 09:18:13(UTC)
Sweep

If you search for SROH, Specification for Reinstatement of Openings on the Highway - (copy available on the government website) and look at S2.2 (Surface Profile) you will find the tables for tolerance of crowning, depressions and edges.  This is applicable to reinstatement where New Roads and Street Works Act applies, however is a good guide to enforcement on the highway. 

thanks 1 user thanked Sweep for this useful post.
peter gotch on 03/10/2021(UTC)