Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2022 16:23:50(UTC)
chris42

Hi all you DSEAR experts that sometime visit this site.

My job occasionally touches on DSEAR related issues, and I have been trying to get a slightly better understanding of the subject. Now the concept that an explosive atmosphere may exist for varying periods of time will give rise to zone 0,1 or 2 for liquids and gasses, is fine. Then say a zone 2 (present occasionally), extent can be calculated using the tables/ formula/ info in BS60079-10-1 and Energy institute document EI15, if you have enough money to purchase them (not me). However, I accept it can be calculated.

The thing that I don’t get is the release determination. Ie say you had a fixed tank or even a tanker vehicle inside a building just sitting there, you could look up information in the above mentioned tables for say a release from a 1mm diameter hole or 2mm etc or even a pool 2m diameter on the floor. The bit I don’t get is how you know what potential size hole or pool to consider. You obviously don’t plan on a pin hole in your tank, I could accept spilling a small container of substance, but struggle with the leak scenario. Not only the size of the hole to be considered but the frequency it may happen, I just don’t get what sort of logic you would use to get to this point. Are there more tables inside these documents that give some rational / likelihood scenarios/ expected failure rates.  

Is anyone willing to shed some light on this particular aspect.

Chris

stevedm  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2022 16:54:27(UTC)
stevedm

the calculations are contained within IEC 60079-10 there are also other documents known as the yellow and purple books for the determination of physical effects...all of that is support with various software tools again all very expensive to buy which provide dispterion modelling...all of which is the domain of us Process Safety Engineers/Chemical Engineers...so not for the faint hearted...but at the end of the day it is just maths and physics...thise of us who have been doing it for a wee while have our own spreadsheets etc that support the cals in 60079...

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2022 17:18:09(UTC)
Ian Bell2

A key point to remeber is that hazardous area classification doesn't apply to gross/catastrohpic failures. Only credible expected leaks/emissions.

As Steveedm says you can use the Dutch yellow and purple books for estimatig leaks. Also BS60079-10-a has a table of typical leak hole sizes. There is also HSE guidance on the likely leak frequency of pipes, flanges and vessels etc. Just search on the HSE website for 'failure rate data', which should give you a document Failure Rate and Event Data for use within Risk Assessments (06/11/17)

Its all a best guess really.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2022 20:16:50(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

Is your question academic or related to the place or places you actually work?

Academic - then all the advice already given.

Real life - most of the time, you can probably rely on the guidance that is available from HSE and others to provide a "conservative" or "precautionary policy" viewpoint as to what would or would not be reasonably practicable.

That is going to come down to considering what materials in what quantities and what potential interactions.

You probably only need to look in detail when you are on the margins and arguing about whether e.g. exclusion zones should be 5m, 10m or whatever

So, as example, there is a huge difference between having one tank holding say LPG or some flammable liquied and being on a petrochem site where there are multiple tanks of X, Y, Z and much more besides.

If in the complex scenario SOMEONE (other than YOU!!) should be making the expensive (but not expensive to an organisation) reading material available and you should have process safety people at hand.

Edited by user 05 August 2022 20:17:54(UTC)  | Reason: Omittted two words

chris42  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2022 14:09:40(UTC)
chris42

Thanks all for the feedback.

Peter the answer to your question is yes, both academic and I have previously stated my job touches / comes into contact with DSEAR related issues. (have tried very hard to avoid). However, I felt it time to get more of an idea to maybe do simple assessments / know enough to be able to tell if decisions made by other are indeed seemingly correct. The academic side is getting my head around the process as much as doing an assessment.

With that thought in mind regarding the process, from my current investigations I could not understand how you would tell what may possibly happen and so work out what size hole or puddle you would get. What logic was employed to get to this point, before any maths calculations. A zone 2 by its name is a zone is a 3-dimensional volume of explosive atmosphere. Now its not going to be a nice cube, but you would probably represent it as such on a zone plan. Now:

Quote from Ian “Its all a best guess really.” This is where I got to in my considerations of the subject, but no surely not! I thought. I mean you guess a potential hole size / puddle size, then apply complicated maths to probably many decimal places to work out a volume around such puddle / hole. Madness, I thought, or is it? Obviously, a general risk assessment does exactly that, it considers the worst, most likely thing to happen (not just the worst or everything would be death – papercut ->infection ->gangrene -> death eventually).

Quote Ian again “only credible expected leaks/emissions” So why would you expect a 2mm hole in a tank opposed to a 1mm hole. I could understand say the danger of spearing a tank with a fork truck, but then you would have a barrier to prevent, so back to not possible.

So it is just down to experience and any newcomer would have to mentor an experienced person for 10 year or more to also be able to do assessments. Seems a little old fashioned approach in this day and age and felt there had to be something else out there.

I started working life off as a mechanical engineer and I admit that when I left school I thought it was all about making things, which it is but only after a lot of maths. So back in the day lessons on thermodynamics and fluid dynamics, and pretty much all the other lessons come to think about it was a lot of maths and applying formulae, so a bit rusty but sure I could get my head around whatever is in the BS or EI15. Do I want to compete with Ian or Steve and do it full time for a living -God no, but I would like to be able to work through some basic assessments? Does my employer want me to -probably not, does he need me to be able to do it? Uncertain.

Yellow book and Purple book not come across these references Steve so thank you. By yellow book I assume you mean “TNO Yellow Book CPR 14E from the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and the Environment” and the Purple book about process safety produced by the Scotch Whisky Association. Can’t help but feel if I had a tank /tanker of whiskey at work the least of the problems would be DSEAR (I think I may insist on taking it home with me for safe keeping and quality sampling purposes).

So the answer to my actual question is a good guess followed by detailed maths on the good guess. You just got to love H&S

Chris

Kate  
#6 Posted : 07 August 2022 19:01:05(UTC)
Kate

I would go for a sphere every time, not a cube.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
chris42 on 08/08/2022(UTC)
antbruce001  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2022 06:58:56(UTC)
antbruce001

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

The bit I don’t get is how you know what potential size hole or pool to consider. You obviously don’t plan on a pin hole in your tank, I could accept spilling a small container of substance, but struggle with the leak scenario.

Chris, going back to your specific question relating to the leak size. 

This has always been one of the hardest aspects of applying any calculation method. For info the the leak sizes used are normally far smaller than 1mm diameter. They have a massive effect on the result, and until 2015 there was no guidance provided in BS 60079 as to what size to use. One of the best improvements to the standard in 2015 was the inclusion of a table that allows for a justification for the hole size used (Table B.1). I have known of cases where an assessor has spent a lot of time trying to justify a 'smaller hole size' to reduce the Zone size, as applying the calculated Zone causes serious problems in terms of potential igntion sources. Clearly, this goes against acceptable professional behaviour - but when we had no guidance to support the selection of hole size, it was common. It was also common to just use a 'standard' smallest hole size in all cases. 

It is commonly thought by the unimformed that calculations give a definite answers, but they don't. No only is the validity of the calculation method questionable (in all cases), but some of the data used for Zone 2 calculations has to be estimated (most signficantly the potential hole size), therefore removing all the 'precision' in undertaking the calculation.

Hope this answer the orignal question.

Tony.

thanks 1 user thanked antbruce001 for this useful post.
chris42 on 08/08/2022(UTC)
stevedm  
#8 Posted : 14 August 2022 06:36:37(UTC)
stevedm

Hi Chris ...

No the Purple book is also from TNO - CPR-18E Guidlines for Quantitative Risk Assessment.

https://content.publicatiereeksgevaarlijkestoffen.nl/documents/PGS3/PGS3-1999-v0.1-quantitative-risk-assessment.pdf

You can get some free modelling software tools such as ALOHA from US EPA, which is for emergency responders and provided some good graphic on outdoor releases, although really only for the large volume releases...the smaller stuff which I think you are talking about is all down to manual calcs in the main following the guidelines in 60019-10-1(2)...

The second part of all of this is having your calculation validated or peer reviewed...a fat finger hear and there could land you in some trouble...going down this route I would up your PI insurance...  :)

Currently working with the outfall from an incident which caused multiple fatalities...one issue was the miscalculation of the flammable zone extent...unlike Die Hard you cannot outrun the flame :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
chris42 on 16/08/2022(UTC)
chris42  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2022 08:55:08(UTC)
chris42

Thanks again Stevedm, the link is very interesting and for the clarification on the book references. Again, thanks to everyone that has responded, all very helpful.

Peters question has been in my head all week about why I’m looking into this. Indeed, the thought of why more people aren’t looking into this has also crossed my mind. As far as I can see that if you have anything that can form an explosive atmosphere however small and however unlikely should have an assessment. So, this is everything from a propane powered fork truck and you have just one bottle on the fork truck, or a oxygen /acetylene or propane welding / burning set, up to a full petrochemical site. So, you may have a zone 0, 1 or 2, but could have a zone of negligible extent, either way to get to these you need to do some sort of assessment. Without which you can’t define a zone volume or if it is cubic, spherical or more likely not a geometric shape but some sort of fluffy cloud shape, altered by everything it touches / flows past.

For me I’m thinking more about the lower end of the scale and not necessarily to do the assessments myself, but have a much better understanding of the process, so I can have better discussions with others. I find the best way of learning something like this is to take myself through the whole process, with a working example. I’m not a consultant but employed and its difficult to explain properly how my job just touches on this subject without giving away the industry I work in on the open forum. I have my own reasons for this. I know some of the responders I have communicated with in the past and so know where I work (thank you for not divulging it), and for those helpful responders that don’t I would be happy to tell via PM if they want.

It is a very big subject in its own right, and as we have discussed above it is all based on a good guess. The likes of Steve and Ian etc their good guess is an informed and experienced educated guess opposed to my just guess (like to think it will be a reasonably educated guess). Guesses aside if I’m talking to an expert, I can ask their logic for their guess. As Antbruces001 notes the hole size will make a massive difference and smaller than I was thinking of. If I’m talking to a non-expert who have just made a decision, then I hope to be able to challenge it if required.

The referenced documents are not particularly light reading I think the BS is 240 pages as is the Purple book (thanks for the link). So will take me some time to go through ( I may / will have more questions). The formula does look interesting, but it is a case of getting the units correct and it is just maths after that.

From what I have read so far there is a good bit of info gathering first not just on the substance, but environmental conditions at the location ie Temperatures and temp gradient, ventilation and obstructions etc which makes sense.

This should keep me out of trouble for a while anyway and hopefully some CPD (points / hours or whatever it is now).

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/08/2022(UTC)
stevedm  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2022 09:21:57(UTC)
stevedm

chris it just just due dilligence as an intelligent customer..there are various other industry guides that help determine the ranges some from LPG association and others from BCGA, EIGA etc...which may help to cut out some of the reading...as I said isn't for the faint hearted...

BCGA GN13 DSEAR - https://bcga.co.uk/bcga-issue-guidance-note-13-dsear-risk-assessment-guidance-for-compressed-gases/

GN44 Safe Distances

EIGA IGC Doc 75/7 ..Determination of safety distances (can't rememeber the exact reference...)

peter gotch on 16/08/2022(UTC)
peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2022 10:08:47(UTC)
peter gotch

Yes, Chris, LOTS of CPD however it might be counted and no need for a course in sight (at least not for now)!

stevedm  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2022 09:01:34(UTC)
stevedm

....this is all normally the domain of the process safety team in your organisation or process safety engineers with suitable qualification, in most cases a Chemical Engineering degree...just a point to say that although competency can be found in other ways it isn't what I would be expecting a EHS advisor with none of those pre-requisites to do...even though it is CPD I wouldn't say anyone reading this would be competent to carry out an assessment without at least a qualified persons peer review and sign off...

chris42 on 25/08/2022(UTC)
chris42  
#13 Posted : 22 August 2022 12:28:59(UTC)
chris42

Yes as with all thing H&S or anything else for that matter the person needs to be competent. As I said for me, I want to understand the process so I can better discuss with people primarily. I was also interested if there were different levels of assessment. By that I mean would you go completely through the same process for a Oxygen/ Acetylene set as for a chemical plant, and it seems you would. However, where you would readily bring in the experts for the Chemical plant, would people bring in the same experts for example the weld / heating set? We get lots of questions about how far away something should “A” be away from something “B” which really would be dictated by the DSEAR assessment, if they had one. Do people turn a blind eye at the lower end of the scale?

The other interesting thing I have noted that the way the documents seem to be written although applies to everything, things like failure rates etc apply to fixed tanks and pipework, joints and valves etc. But what about the potentially non fixed things, say an LPG tanker. I’m sure if they were refilling something on your site you need the assessment, but what about if say just coming for an MOT or service inspection. Nothing is going to be touched just inspected, but you have brought them into a workplace, so require assessment. All just examples I could think of, and I guess there will be many more examples.

It is all quite interesting, as I said not looking to branch out or change job.

Chris

peter gotch  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2022 14:13:51(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

Perhaps looking at this from a position somewhere between you and the process safety people!!!

In general, you only have failure rate data either based on theory or derived from sufficient data from real life incidents.

There is limited benefit in, stating that the failure rate for scenario D (for Disaster!) happening is 60 x 10-4 per annum if your data set is so small that the 95% confidence limits are 60 (+ or minus 50) x 10-4 per annum, such that it is not that improbable that the actual rate is 1/6 of stat stated, but equally might be nearly double.

So, to use the example you cite of the LPG tanker there IS enough data compiled by people such as the World LPG Association and its UK counterpart to give you some reasonably sound probabilities for various types of incident scenario, such as hot and cold so called "BLEVEs", other scenarios where the tanker might go bang, and rates of release when e.g. there is a failure of hose or pipe when loading and unloading.

So, it is possible to do things like Quantified Risk Assessment ('QRA') and map out zones around some potential source of an incident to show e.g. where the individual risk of death or "dangerous dose" per annum ('IR') is at or exceeds defined parameters. 

So, as example, in "R2P2", HSE suggest that if an IR is less than 1 in a million per year it will usually be "broadly acceptable" UNLESS the population is at particular risk e.g. elderly people or someone with disabilities in residential care nearby - where HSE set a parameter of 0.3 in a million per year as the border line for the "broadly acceptable".

If you then contrast this with most of the risk scenarios that mainstream OSH professionals deal with, it is VERY rare that QRA is possible.

As example, you could probably get a reasonable estimate for the number of fatal accidents per year during roofwork in the UK - used to be about 10 a year.

BUT, you cannot translate that to a reliable IR, firstly, as you don't know the size of the population at risk - you can get a reasonable estimate of the number of people who are defined as "roofers", but it's not only "roofers" who do "roofwork".

...and then, even if you could come up with a reasonable guestimate as to the total number of people in the UK engaged in "roofwork" each year, you would then have to add in lots of variables as to 

(a) the slope of the roof and what it is made of - some materials inherently more slippery than others etc etc.

(b) what permanent or temporary protections are in place to stop people falling from open edges or through fragile materials

(c) how long they are up there for and how often - so as to tot up the total number of hours of exposure per year

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
stevedm  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2022 11:33:19(UTC)
stevedm

Chris

HSE Fred https://www.hse.gov.uk/landuseplanning/failure-rates.pdf

Will give you some basic faiure rates to go along with there are more detailed lists in OREDA and it is even better if you can get actual plant history failure data...but mobile equipment and transport is covered by both the flammable areas extent in 60079/Ei15 calcs and from on the road risks and other parts which fall under QRA again not for the faint hearted - reference would be the purple book for that one...

chris42  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2022 14:41:05(UTC)
chris42

Thank you again Steve, had a quick scan through and looks interesting, and is added to my list of reading matter on the subject. I think it needs to all be read at the same time one after another, not a few hours here and there. I’m on holiday next week, but not sure I will have time to go through it all then, so my traditional CPD time of non-everyday CPD is Christmas (they mostly show the same rubbish over Christmas on TV anyway). I did note in places that the information is listed as not in public domain, which is intriguing.

Peter, I don’t think I’m at odds with the process engineers (or at a different position) who have been kind enough to have input to my questions. I do feel even the smallest DSEAR assessment need to be carried out by someone knowledgeable. I don’t believe people are doing that. I think for a smaller set up there will be far less points of failure (making it easier, but not easy), other than that the basic process is the same, from what I can see so far.  As Steve noted “unlike Die Hard you cannot outrun the flame :)”

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 25/08/2022(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#17 Posted : 25 August 2022 21:55:39(UTC)
Ian Bell2

As regards QRA estimates, when I first got involved with COMAH and often QRA I was remineded on a variation of the old phrase about statistics.

There are lies, damned lies and then there are QRA statistics.

thanks 3 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/08/2022(UTC), stevedm on 01/09/2022(UTC), chris42 on 06/09/2022(UTC)