Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firesafety101  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2023 11:33:38(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, does anyone know about employment for recent graduates who want to be Forensic Scientists.

I'm asking on behalf of my daughter.  Thanks.

M.cooper.99  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2023 14:48:10(UTC)
M.cooper.99

Hi Firesafety,

Not sure if recommendations are what you are looking for. West Yorkshire Police have a large forensics unit that my cousin loves working in. They have roles going quite often. I have been told they are planning to expand their unit to cover most of the North of England.

I managed to get an assessment and interview with them once and I don't have an educational background in forensics. It was one of the hardest assessments I have ever done though. A few things they asked me about on the interview were examples of working to ISO standards, examples of working within a quality management system, asking what I think certain processes and procedures would look like, give examples of working to strict procedures, give examples of methodically analysing different sources of information to create an accurate conclusion and give examples of conducting visual quality checks. Thats what I remember off the top of my head.

Best of luck to your daughter

Mathew

thanks 1 user thanked M.cooper.99 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/12/2023(UTC)
Kate  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2023 16:18:18(UTC)
Kate

I'm sorry to say I once heard an interview with a forensic scientist who said that due to the popularity of crime dramas glamorising this profession, there was an over-supply of graduates in this subject compared with the opportunities for them.  So getting started could be hard going.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
HSSnail on 06/12/2023(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2023 16:59:01(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Is the degree a specific forensics sciences degree?

Universities that  deliver those usually have connections with the police and forensics organisations

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2023 22:40:22(UTC)
firesafety101

Yes, either Forensic Science or Forensic Science with another i.e.Biology, Entemology etc.  The Uni is next to the police HQ and they often send work ove to the Uni to use their machines.

Acorns  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2023 14:40:12(UTC)
Acorns

Really depends on what area or topic we are looking to be involved in. There are not that many companies involved forensics would take on a trainee as they are unlikely to be able to do the ‘forensics’ side for a while (years) so the easiest route is to make some calls and ask. Perhaps it’s a reality check on what we can offer that the clients would be prepared to pay for . I’ve done expert/ forensics in the past - DM if you wanted to chat
LancBob  
#7 Posted : 08 December 2023 15:08:17(UTC)
LancBob

Hi,

Cellmark currently have vacancies

https://www.cellmark.co.uk/info/careers/#jobs

With jobs based in either Abingdon or Chorley, the roles would involve full training and while experience is beneficial it wouldnt be a deal breaker.

Hope this helps

thanks 1 user thanked LancBob for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/12/2023(UTC)