Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jodo74  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2024 10:27:28(UTC)
jodo74

I have an employee who regularly goes into his place of work (garage) to carry out work in the early hours of the morning, sometimes 4 / 5am. He is carrying out work on plant, grabs etc

We have been looking at various lone working systems / Man down systems however how much responsibility do we have for him if he chooses to go into work outside of his normal working hours without informing anyone he is doing so.

We obviously want to make sure he is safe should anything happen, but I also want to know how responsible we are for him.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2024 10:46:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

The premises occupier should be dictating hours of access - not the employee.

What does their contract say about working (paid) hours?

Do HR know they have someone clocking up excessive unpaid hours potentially pushing their pay rate below minimum wage and in breach of the working time directive? Presuming they leave at a normal finish time.

It could be they are doing this for the right reasons - unable to sleep, getting jobs out of the way when things are quiet but there are significant unintended consequences letting this continue over and above the task risks.

Now you know they are going in early take away their keys and make them reliant upon the presence of others to be in work (not that easy if they are a designated key holder for alarm call outs).

The type of work being described would not be permitted by a sole employee at my site.

Pursuit of man down to facilitate site attendance indicates you know there to be considerable risk with what they are doing.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
ohreally on 26/06/2024(UTC), ohreally on 26/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2024 10:46:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

The premises occupier should be dictating hours of access - not the employee.

What does their contract say about working (paid) hours?

Do HR know they have someone clocking up excessive unpaid hours potentially pushing their pay rate below minimum wage and in breach of the working time directive? Presuming they leave at a normal finish time.

It could be they are doing this for the right reasons - unable to sleep, getting jobs out of the way when things are quiet but there are significant unintended consequences letting this continue over and above the task risks.

Now you know they are going in early take away their keys and make them reliant upon the presence of others to be in work (not that easy if they are a designated key holder for alarm call outs).

The type of work being described would not be permitted by a sole employee at my site.

Pursuit of man down to facilitate site attendance indicates you know there to be considerable risk with what they are doing.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
ohreally on 26/06/2024(UTC), ohreally on 26/06/2024(UTC)
HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2024 07:48:33(UTC)
HSSnail

While I agree with round in principle I think you need to establish WHY he is doing this. Yes if its free choice then i would be putting a stop to it, but if hes responding to an emergency call out its a little different, Dont forget that if you put some kind of remote worker system in place you have to have someone to assist the call center - they cannot do everything for you. In a situation such as this if its fairly infrequent might be safer and cheaper just to send 2 people.