Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gluetroubles  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2024 08:34:56(UTC)
Gluetroubles

Hello and good morning,  I am writing here as i would like some clarification. Our current set up is Powered extraction with both in and out filters, FPP3, ear plugs and goggles.  The reasoning for the powered RPE is because of the glue, but also after i think two years we will save around 9k a year from masks.  The glue is water based with the activator being citric acid both of the componants according to their SDS are 'harmless' and have been tested as individual componants however because they have not been tested once combined the department have ruled that it is a risk and powered RPE will be needed.  This has caused quite the upset with the team who will be required to wear the powered RPE as they are going to be told that they will need to be clean shaven to wear the RPE.  Basically i am writing because the only thing i could find is that RPE should be a last resort, and that clean shaven could be seen as interfering with fredoms, and i would like some other takes on it really as i want to ask questions and have a real comprehensive understanding rather than be told its mandatory else no job.  Thankyou

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2024 08:41:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Powered face fitted RPE does sound to be overkill for the adhesive system you are describing.

We recently had a representative trying to sell us a citric acid based activator system on the grounds it was inherently safer and less problematic than using a two part polyurethane for which we do use RPE in combination with LEV.

If you have a union or works council I would suggest they request the supplying company provide some additional guidance beyond the two component SDS - I think they may be shocked by what your employer is choosing to do.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2024 08:41:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Powered face fitted RPE does sound to be overkill for the adhesive system you are describing.

We recently had a representative trying to sell us a citric acid based activator system on the grounds it was inherently safer and less problematic than using a two part polyurethane for which we do use RPE in combination with LEV.

If you have a union or works council I would suggest they request the supplying company provide some additional guidance beyond the two component SDS - I think they may be shocked by what your employer is choosing to do.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC), LancBob on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2024 11:38:57(UTC)
Kate

This definitely doesn't add up.

You are entitled to be informed about what risks there are to your health.    It doesn't sound as if the risk here has been clearly identified.

If the risk hasn't been identified, then it's not possible to know that the RPE is even protecting you from it.  Because depending on what needs to be kept out by the filters, you may need different filters.  P3 protects against small particles and droplets, but not against vapours and gases.

You are right that RPE is the last resort so if there is a risk, it should first be addressed through other methods such as ventilation and extraction.

If there is really so much concern for your health, then a better form of RPE is a powered hood, which doesn't require shaving as it doesn't need to form a seal to your face to work.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2024 12:20:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This has left me confused, which is an easy thing to do but from what we have been told you employees are using an adhesive which (based on the SDS?)  are harmless. The SDS is for the product not for  components so any synergistic effects between components should have been taken into account.  The RPE that you are using currently is FFP3 masks which  are intended to deal with particulate hazards not fumes. I am not sure what you mean by “powered extraction”. Are you referring to some sort of LEV?  If you want a definitive answer you need to consider where the work is being carried out and how much of this glue is being used. If it just an occasional dab in a well-ventilated area, then it’s probably not much of a problem. If on the other hand it’s some of manufacturing process where it’s likely that fumes will build up creating a significant airborne risk, then you should  be looking at LEV or similar that removes the vapour before it enters the worker’s breathing zone. If you can’t do that then you should be looking at RPE that ideally does not require a close fit to the user’s face i.e not a negative pressure facemask.  It’s down to the risk assessment…

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2024 13:20:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
The SDS is for the product not for  components

This is often the opposite way round where a glue system comprises Product A and Product B.

The supplier will have classified each component separately as they need to derive labelling for the components container used in transport and storage. These classifications create two individual SDS.

Invariably when you "react" adhesives (or resins etc.) there is a period when a chemical soup occurs however after the drying / curing / fixing period the "mixed" adhesive typically becomes an inert article for which no SDS is required.

This component quandry was one of the updates to the guidance on product labelling wherein an applicator containing two individual components must be individually labelled as one chamber or the other could leak, the applicator could fail dispensing a single component or the mixer may not have been attached making two parallel beads. This equally applies for a two part epoxy system with resin in a tin and hardener in a tube.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2024 13:20:28(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
The SDS is for the product not for  components

This is often the opposite way round where a glue system comprises Product A and Product B.

The supplier will have classified each component separately as they need to derive labelling for the components container used in transport and storage. These classifications create two individual SDS.

Invariably when you "react" adhesives (or resins etc.) there is a period when a chemical soup occurs however after the drying / curing / fixing period the "mixed" adhesive typically becomes an inert article for which no SDS is required.

This component quandry was one of the updates to the guidance on product labelling wherein an applicator containing two individual components must be individually labelled as one chamber or the other could leak, the applicator could fail dispensing a single component or the mixer may not have been attached making two parallel beads. This equally applies for a two part epoxy system with resin in a tin and hardener in a tube.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 16/10/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2024 15:53:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Gluetroubles

AK might be "confused" but I am a little surprised that they didn't spell out that LEV stands for Local Exhaust Ventilation as it is reasonable to assume that you are probably not a health and safety professional.

In effect to summarise what others have said, it is up to your employer to assess the risks of the operation and then to decide what precautions are needed.

A Schedule to the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations sets out the "General Principles of Prevention" which outlines a so called hierarchy of control measures, in which hierarchy PPE - Personal Protective Equipment (including, of course, RPE) is well down towards the bottom.

So, if there really is a significant risk (which others have suggested is doubtful - I agree) then the first step for your employer should be to look at engineering controls - such as LEV - and not to just put yet more PPE on the workforce.

AND without quoting chapter and verse, it is also up to your employer to explain what precautions are needed and why.