Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Safety Smurf  
#41 Posted : 13 June 2011 10:28:38(UTC)
Safety Smurf

guru wrote:
achrn wrote:
There is no law saying that employees cannot buy safety boots
I would disagree...Regulation 4 of the PPE Regs is quite clear. 'Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is 'provided' to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective' Letting them buy their own PPE is clearly a breach of the requirements of the PPE regs.
The employer's duty is to provide, not to prevent the employee making thier own provision. It is clearly NOT a breach.
achrn  
#42 Posted : 13 June 2011 14:03:02(UTC)
achrn

guru wrote:
achrn wrote:
There is no law saying that employees cannot buy safety boots
I would disagree...Regulation 4 of the PPE Regs is quite clear. 'Every employer shall ensure that suitable personal protective equipment is 'provided' to his employees who may be exposed to a risk to their health or safety while at work except where and to the extent that such risk has been adequately controlled by other means which are equally or more effective' Letting them buy their own PPE is clearly a breach of the requirements of the PPE regs.
Nonsense. You will note that I HAVE NOT suggested that the employee buys safety boots instead of the employer providing them. You will see that (over and again, multiple times, despite repeated misrepresentation of what I have said) I have set out a scenario in which the employer provides free issue compliant safety boots. There is then nothing in law to stop the employee ADDITIONALLY buying his own safety boots.
Canopener  
#43 Posted : 13 June 2011 16:59:33(UTC)
Canopener

Chaps; whooaaaaaaa. Could I suggest a little step back? The employers duties are relatively clear and simple, they must provide at no cost to the employee, (I’ll come back to that) PPE that is suitable for the task, i.e. will protect against the identified risks AND is suitable for the type of work being done, and is suitable for the individual including any medical conditions etc. This should be provided at no cost to the employee. Contributing towards PPE is, I suggest a reasonably widespread practice across many industries, and if an employee wishes to chose something else for ‘aesthetic’ reasons etc and pay a ‘premium, for doing so, then I think that this is unlikely to be a breach of S9. Could I suggest a slightly less ‘insular’ interpretation of S9? The ‘spirit’ of S9 is that an employee shouldn’t be out of pocket, rather than an employee can’t go and buy PPE and claim the costs back. That system in some circumstances might be to the benefit of both the employer and employee. I suggest that S9 allows an employee to go and BUY their PPE as long as they are reimbursed IN FULL by their employer?
JESU  
#44 Posted : 13 June 2011 17:23:01(UTC)
JESU

This is what we do.. We provide the employees with Redwing shoes, if the employee is not comfortable with the Redwing shoes, he goes back to supplier..look for the required one, exchage on his cost, provided the Safety shoes complies with the company's PPE requirement. Cheers, Jesu. Dxb
achrn  
#45 Posted : 14 June 2011 08:39:33(UTC)
achrn

Phil Rose wrote:
Contributing towards PPE is, I suggest a reasonably widespread practice across many industries, and if an employee wishes to chose something else for ‘aesthetic’ reasons etc and pay a ‘premium, for doing so, then I think that this is unlikely to be a breach of S9.
I fail to see how an employee paying some of the cost of the pair of boots provided to him can be said to comply with the requirement that "No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions". Those words appear very straightforward to me, reduce to the two questions I proposed earlier (Did you issue safety boots to employee X? Was any sum of money charged to him for those boots?) Whether the employee wants to pay it or not is substantially irrelevant.
Phil Rose wrote:
Could I suggest a slightly less ‘insular’ interpretation of S9? The ‘spirit’ of S9 is that an employee shouldn’t be out of pocket, rather than an employee can’t go and buy PPE and claim the costs back. That system in some circumstances might be to the benefit of both the employer and employee. I suggest that S9 allows an employee to go and BUY their PPE as long as they are reimbursed IN FULL by their employer?
I think that's a totally different question that has not been tackled at all in the discussion. It's certainly not what the bulk of the thread is about - which was that employees be allowed to contribute some of the cost of their PPE. I don't see any problem with employees making the initial purchase and receiving a full refund from the employer (indeed, the last time we needed non-standard boots this is what we did), though there is a potential problem with VAT (the employee probably won't be charged it by the supplier, but if the company had bought the boots for the employee it would have been charged and I don't know how the VAT system works in that situation).
Canopener  
#46 Posted : 14 June 2011 11:13:00(UTC)
Canopener

achrn I thought that the thread was staking a rather confrontational turn and was suggesting that people take a step back and have a little think about it. I actually find excessive use of the quote button, is in many cases confrontational, and often intended to be so. We all have different opinions. I suggest that the key is in the interpretation. My interpretation (which clearly differs from yours) is that if an employer is providing PPE to meet the requirements of the risks, job, person etc BUT an employee asks if they can pay extra for something more 'fashionable' etc then I fail to see how this can be construed as a breach of S9. I would argue that fashion etc is not “..specific requirement..” of any “..relevant statutory provisions.”. I note your post #38. Interestingly, the ‘top up’ is an approach ‘suggested’ by the HSE in their guidance L26 for VDU specs, i.e. the employee is free to have designer frames, lenses or optional treatments but the employer is not obliged to pay for them. Of course guidance cannot override or supersede statute (i.e. S9). I suggest that the guidance offers something of an insight into the HSE interpretation of S9 and I suggest that a similar ‘top up’ approach to the provision of PPE would be similarly permissible. As always I am more than happy to be wrong. In fairness the consensus of the thread does appear to support ‘top up’ as an option. I will bow out gracefully.
Peter Clifton  
#47 Posted : 14 June 2011 11:30:25(UTC)
Peter Clifton

Hi guys, Did I read it (or dream it) that ASDA went to court about safety footwear years ago and won. They were arguing that an employee should contribute to the cost of his/her safety footwear?
achrn  
#48 Posted : 14 June 2011 12:47:11(UTC)
achrn

Phil Rose wrote:
I note your post #38. Interestingly, the ‘top up’ is an approach ‘suggested’ by the HSE in their guidance L26 for VDU specs, i.e. the employee is free to have designer frames, lenses or optional treatments but the employer is not obliged to pay for them. Of course guidance cannot override or supersede statute (i.e. S9). I suggest that the guidance offers something of an insight into the HSE interpretation of S9 and I suggest that a similar ‘top up’ approach to the provision of PPE would be similarly permissible. As always I am more than happy to be wrong.
The interesting thing there is that I read the opposite implication in - that is, it seems to me that you're saying something like 'the HSE suggests top-ups are OK with respect to glasses, so they are obviously happy with the idea of top-ups for premium PPE'. I would read the same scenario as being a case of 'the HSE suggests top-ups for glasses, so they are alive to that possibility, and therefore the fact that there is no erquivalent statement regarding boots (or PPE generally) reinforces that this is not allowed.'
Guru  
#49 Posted : 14 June 2011 13:42:47(UTC)
Guru

We could go on all day nit picking here and there, but to pull it all in to the OP. Is it illegal for an employer to set a limit to the purchase of safety footwear, and allow employees to top up for premium bells n whistles items? No, its not.
Andrew W Walker  
#50 Posted : 14 June 2011 13:52:11(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Has anyone asked the HSE what their stance is?
achrn  
#51 Posted : 14 June 2011 14:45:17(UTC)
achrn

guru wrote:
We could go on all day nit picking here and there, but to pull it all in to the OP. Is it illegal for an employer to set a limit to the purchase of safety footwear, and allow employees to top up for premium bells n whistles items?
Yes, it is.
stuie  
#52 Posted : 14 June 2011 15:15:47(UTC)
stuie

So why are we not all being prosecuted then? Maybe because it is a little trivial to be arguing over what in most case will be a minor issue -- if only all workplaces had such trivial matters to worry about than whether paying an extra £10 or so for a pair of fancy boots is legal or not. I think the consensus is that a majority of respondents do indeed allow the top up - certainly our organisation will continue to do so until we are told otherwise; which I guess will be for while yet?! Bowing out now I have said my final bit on this topic.
Guru  
#53 Posted : 14 June 2011 16:16:27(UTC)
Guru

My last word on this is that I'll agree to disagree with you on this. I'll happily stand here and say your correct and im wrong if you can pick out one court case prosecuting an employer for allowing employees to top up. Since this practice is widespread across many industries and clearly illegal, then you shouldnt find it too hard to find one. Taxi!
Andrew W Walker  
#54 Posted : 17 June 2011 15:46:36(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

A reply from the HSE: Thank you for your enquiry regarding PPE. The employer will be responsible for the provision of 'suitable' personal protective equipment and he will be required to meet the cost associated with such equipment. The following information has been taken from the HSE internal knowledgebase system and states If an employer decides that safety footwear is required, then as we know they have to pay for the provision of such PPE. However, what can an employer do if the employees want an 'up grade' or better pair of boots etc? Does he pay for better ones or just the ones that fulfill the legal requirements? The employer must fulfill the legal requirements and ensure the footwear is 'suitable' as required by Reg 4 of PPE Regs. If this is done and the employees want an 'up grade' then the employer can do the following: He/she can provide the employees with a choice of footwear within a similar price range. Most employees only want a choice. If this option is rejected then the employer can provide the employee with the cost of the 'suitable' pair of footwear which the employer has already identified and the employee will then pay the difference. If an employer wants to do this he must stress to his employees that he is willing to provide the 'suitable' footwear. This is an important point to be stressed to the employees understand that their employer has discharged his legal duties. If the employer provides 'suitable' footwear then the employer has fulfilled his legal duties
stuie  
#55 Posted : 17 June 2011 18:08:56(UTC)
stuie

Maybe not my last post on this subject then! Thanks for that Motorhead - sorted then.
Guru  
#56 Posted : 18 June 2011 15:39:11(UTC)
Guru

Thanks Motorhead.
Chris M  
#57 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:18:46(UTC)
Chris M

So to clarify, if our company charge the employee the additional cost for all singing & dancing footwear, we wont be liable?

Roundtuit  
#58 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:57:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Liable for what?

If you permit an employee to purchase their own footwear you still need to specify the minimum standard for your site

If the employee contributes to the all singing and dancing version from your supplier again you need to have set the minimum standard for your site

It is your RA as employer that has determined the necessary control measure of safety footwear and you are "liable" to ensure equipment is worn in accordance with your rules

Roundtuit  
#59 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:57:31(UTC)
Roundtuit

Liable for what?

If you permit an employee to purchase their own footwear you still need to specify the minimum standard for your site

If the employee contributes to the all singing and dancing version from your supplier again you need to have set the minimum standard for your site

It is your RA as employer that has determined the necessary control measure of safety footwear and you are "liable" to ensure equipment is worn in accordance with your rules