Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve e ashton  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2012 15:41:41(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Anyone else think the case reported by the BBEB is not a proper claim http://www.bbc.co.uk/new...orkney-shetland-17404335 Does anyone think Sainsbury's should be held vicariously liable for a murder or is the murderer "off on a frolic of his own"... Strange. Steve
MrsBlue  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2012 15:49:57(UTC)

Short answer. If Sainbury knew that there was conflict between the two men prior to the incident should they not have done something about it? Rich
smitch  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2012 16:43:13(UTC)
smitch

Not having a pop at anyone; but as we are not privy to all the facts then I feel it is not possible or prudent to comment.
RayRapp  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2012 00:08:25(UTC)
RayRapp

I don't think vicarious liability has any bearing in this case a both workers were employees unless I have misread the article. An odd but tragic case which only the court can decide whether the employer owed the deceased a duty of care given the information they did or did not know about the accused.
Canopener  
#5 Posted : 18 March 2012 20:00:20(UTC)
Canopener

A ‘proper’ claim! It would appear that they feel that they have a case. COULD Sainsbury’s either accept or be found liable? Only time will tell. I don't see why an employer couldn't be found vicariously liable where the actions of one employee injures another employee. Surely this is a regular occurrence? I don’t think that it only applies to the actions of an employee against a ‘non employee’. Happy to be wrong though.
Phil Grace  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2012 09:20:10(UTC)
Phil Grace

It is certainly a valid allegation of vicarious liailbtiy. We must wait to see wheter it will be decided in the defendant's favour. In the meantime...... Interesting couple of cases that clearly set out two different sets of circumstances in which an employee sought to hold their employer vicariously liable for the violent actions of a fellow employee. One was agreed whilst the other was not… http://www.manches.com/n...or-an-employees-violence Phil
Ken Slack  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2012 11:12:32(UTC)
Ken Slack

Which links nicely to another thread - Compensation Culture, Myth or reality.....