Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Azza  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2012 16:42:34(UTC)
Azza

Hi everyone,

My company is planning on changing from a compliance-based to a behavioural- based safety culture.
What does everyone think this will involve?
NEE' ONIONS MATE!  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2012 17:09:05(UTC)
NEE' ONIONS MATE!

Arron wrote:
Hi everyone,

My company is planning on changing from a compliance-based to a behavioural- based safety culture.
What does everyone think this will involve?

I'd like to hear what you think it involves.
Steveeckersley  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2012 17:20:20(UTC)
Steveeckersley

It will involve asking the 64 million dollar question!
Reminds me of a famous quote but out of context ! To be Or Not to be?
My answer is Self regulation rarely works!
NEE' ONIONS MATE!  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2012 17:26:16(UTC)
NEE' ONIONS MATE!

It sounds the sort of question NEBOSH would ask.
KieranD  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2012 17:29:03(UTC)
KieranD

Arron

As commonly conducted, it involves a shift from compliance focused on interpretations of law to compliance associated with measuring behaviour associated (with more or less statistical sophistication) with preventing accidents and illness. There are lots of well-researched guides; the best one by an English person is by Dom Cooper. CFIOSH, CPsychol.

If you're interested in a more coherent approach, it's about leadership to change the social identity of people at work into earning status through intelligent care of themselves and others at work. You can learn about it in 'Psychology in Organisations. The Social Identity Approach', S A Haslam. Sage Publications 2nd edition, 2004. One of the best books on psychology at work.
RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2012 17:46:03(UTC)
RayRapp

Arron

No, but I'm intrigued as to what this 'behavioural-based' safety culture change will bring to the table. Apart form Kieran's erudite offering it appears no one else is the wiser either. Do tell us more?

Ray
Graham Bullough  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2012 18:29:59(UTC)
Graham Bullough

Ray - As most forum users probably only have a quick look at the forum from time to time each day, it's likely that many of them either haven't seen this thread yet or have only just seen it. Also, perhaps some people have been over-awed by your use of a posh word describing Kieran's contribution as 'erudite' (while others might think erudite is a brand of adhesive) and also Steveeckersley's literary quotation from Shakespeare's "Hamlet".

For what it's worth, my interpretation of the proposal by Arron's company is a change from 'stick to carrot' i.e. introducing or expanding positive incentives and encouragement for its people to follow safe procedures or systems rather than using a metaphorical stick i.e. achieving things negatively through fear of penalties and reprimands, etc. Apparently some organisations have had a positive culture for a very long time, notably Du Pont whose owner/founder personally introduced such a culture almost 200 years ago after an explosive manufacturing factory in the USA blew up and killed many employees.

Kieran helpfully mentions Dom(inic) Cooper. In the past in our local IOSH network, including the excellent Public Services Section which usually meets near Manchester, has had interesting and useful presentations from him - something for members of IOSH network committees to bear in mind when looking for speakers and topics for future meetings.

Arron - Who is proposing the change in your company? If it isn't being led by or at least has strong and ongoing endorsement from the chief executive and/or managing director, its chance of being successful is likely to be very limited from what little I understand about such matters.
RayRapp  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2012 19:16:00(UTC)
RayRapp

Graham, how I have missed your long and boring posts during the last week or so. No offence, of course.

On a more serious note, you write 'a change from stick to carrot', are sure you have not got that the wrong way round? It is my understanding that behavioural safety can (not always) focus on individuals and transfer of blame. Personally, I do not like focusing on any particular concept because good health and safety relies on many inputs...and if I hear the words BEHAVIOURAL SAFETY again I'm gonna reach for my gun!
boblewis  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2012 22:43:26(UTC)
boblewis

Ray

Know what you mean!!!!!! We need a real seed change to proper management techniques and I am sure Kieran has the titles to hand for this. I am rapidly coming to a view that SMS of whatever hue can never be fully effective and are perhaps even a hinderance. They separate off key management issues into a special compartment that the professionals operate in a somewhat vacuum. As long as senior management can do this they will never be responsible for H&S in any real sense. We expect buy in to the SMS and struggle to achieve it. Quality issues are always addressed by directors however minute - not so with H&S I fear.

Bob
bob youel  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2012 07:46:46(UTC)
bob youel

In my view the key to the 'behaviour' approach is the top man/woman/people because if the top person/team etc. in a company leads properly its achieveable if not then nothing will change

I have worked on multi billion pound jobs where the top person lead strongly by example and things were easy and v-versa where a very low cost situation with few people involved was very poorly lead with the usual problems being in place

best of luck - if your top person is with you and can manage properly things should go OK
KieranD  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2012 10:33:57(UTC)
KieranD

The practical problems about expecting improvement to start with senior management is that few safety practitioners live beyond 100 years and need to start showing results on a timescale of months.

I've just written an article relevant to this question, for an international ergonomics magazine. It introduces well-validated techniques for
a. observation and use of data about organisational culture,
b. applying social identity research,
c. exercise of trait emotional intelligence

Their systematic use can transform the performance of safety (and ergonomics) practitioners working towards 'behavioural safety' and other ways of getting a better economic return on their efforts in ways that senior management can see and hear, p d q.

Any reader who wants a copy of the article is welcome to email me.

A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 28 September 2012 11:12:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It all depends on what you mean.
Adopting a behavioural- based safety culture, should mean changing the way people think about H&S and no longer assuming it is a bolt-on or ‘something the safety people do’. Instead it should be part of any and every process going on in the organisation. People should not just be looking at the easiest/cheapest way of doing a job but making sure that it is the safest way of doing the job, without someone from Health and Safety checking up on them. For this to work you need a lot of employee buy-in but also support from managers, who cannot turn around and say, ‘Yeah, I know you should be doing it that way but this way is cheaper’.
A lot organisation have adopted something they call a behavioural- based safety culture but what their version involves is passing the buck down to the employees and saying accidents are your fault so it’s upto you to prevent them. They often end up focusing on preventing time lost indents and then forget about the big stuff examples.
atspesnonfracta  
#13 Posted : 28 September 2012 12:05:26(UTC)
atspesnonfracta

Interesting thread just wrote 10 paragraphs and deleted them. Each line contradicted an interpretation of the last. It’s what is meant by the terms, each person may have a different view.
So to answer the initial question I would need to understand your existing system.
• Compliance with the law/reg’s is a given.
• How you meet this compliance is the option.

Has your organisation compliance criteria that is prescriptive stagnant and out of date?
Are the alterations just looking at what and how you are complying i.e. setting the new compliance against a given behaviour in accomplishing a task; so long as it is safe behaviour and meets the requirements of the law etc.
Jake  
#14 Posted : 28 September 2012 14:52:30(UTC)
Jake

This was covered in a recent seminar under the heading "Compliance or Conformity?" (with conformity being the behavioural aspect / safety culture etc.).

There are a hundreds of different definitions and interpretations for both, the way I would compare the 2:

A compliance environment is one where:
- operatives do the right thing when they know they are being watched;
- operatives do the right thing when they know that if they don't they'll get in trouble;
- non compliance occurs when the above 2 situations do not (or are not believed to) exist

A conformity environment is one where:
- operatives do the right thing because they think it is the right thing to do
- operatives follow procedures because they believe in them and understand why they have been developed
- procedures are followed even when operatives are not being watching
- procedures are followed without requiring the fear of repercussions
Zimmy  
#15 Posted : 28 September 2012 19:13:47(UTC)
Zimmy

KieranD

You have mail

I would love to read the article as I have to admit, I know very little about this subject (being new to this H&S world of ours).
Zimmy  
#16 Posted : 28 September 2012 19:15:33(UTC)
Zimmy

And...Thanks Jake, I do know something of it after all, just didn't know what it was called (Red faced..again)
Jeff Watt  
#17 Posted : 29 September 2012 01:56:46(UTC)
Jeff Watt

What will it involve?

Same effluvia, different bottle.
hilary  
#18 Posted : 29 September 2012 09:37:52(UTC)
hilary

I don't think you can change from a compliance based safety culture to a behavioural based safety culture - you need to strike a balance between the two, it is not an either/or situation.

BBS is great, but you need to have a robust safety culture in order to introduce it. BBS needs to be backed by strong policies, strong leadership and an understanding amongst your workforce of why we do H&S. Once this is established as a management structure you can then bring in BBS.

BBS forces employees to examine their own behaviour. To re-look at their perceptions and their understanding. When I recently ran a course we used a lot of psychological tricks to make the audience understand how their perspective changes with the external information for example: we made them agree with statements like "I always wear safety glasses when using rotating machinery" which they all immediately agreed to and then "I wear safety glasses when mowing the lawn" which obviously they didn't all agree to; or "I am a law abiding person" followed by "I always drive within the speed limit".

BBS has a very important role to play in H&S but it should go hand in hand with a robust management system that supports compliance because at the end of the day, you have to comply with the Law. It's neither carrot nor stick, it is the right tool for the right environment, sometimes this might be stick, but sometimes carrot will work better.
Clairel  
#19 Posted : 29 September 2012 17:39:40(UTC)
Clairel

Personally I just don't like any of these buzz terms 'compliance based safety' or 'behaviour based safety' or any other 'in' phrase.

Why not just adopt a range of tactics to reach and end result? Why do we have to call it something fancy that no one really understands? The fact that the responses have been mainly about what it means not how to implement it just shows what useless terminology it is.

Why do we have to over complicate these things?

I couldn't work in a large company. I speak plain English and can't be bothered with all this management speak trying to look more intelligent that it is.

But that's just me!!
KieranD  
#20 Posted : 30 September 2012 05:05:01(UTC)
KieranD

Clairel

Scientific methods of enquiry are very, very, very slowly entering the domain of occupational safety and health simply because those who invest the time, energy and other resources prove them to be productive. There is considerable documentary evidence of this in relation to 'behavioural safety'.

While you are free to exercise your choice to disregard such developments, that doesn't in any way discredit their value and merit.

Those who insisted the earth is flat adoped the same approach as the one you advocate; maybe they and you are right in your own ways.

Regrettably, the occupationaly safety and health profession risks discrediting itself to the extent that members collectively close their minds to statistical and behavioural evidence of the effectiveness of applications of science to human behaviour. If psychological science was merely about 'useless terminology' as you claim, it would hardly have become one of the most rapidly growing disciplines at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the leading British universities over the past 15 years.

Clairel  
#21 Posted : 30 September 2012 09:14:49(UTC)
Clairel

That's because you haven't read what I have said Kieran you have decided what you think I mean by what I have said. I have said I don't like the terminology not the concepts or science behind it.

I'm not dismissing science or psychology - far from it. I did my post grad thanks and I have a keen interest in psychology.

However, I do dismiss the terminology used as being confusing and alienating. This thread just demonstrates that, everyone is questioning what moving from a compliance based safety to behavioural based safety means. I don't inderstand exactly what that means or entails either.

Safetv is based on a whole range of techniques and factors not one single approach (ie a safety or behavioural based technique). Personally I try and encourage a range of approaches with clients but what I don't do is sit there telling them to adopt behavioural based or compliance based techniques becuase they'd look at me blankly - if a bunch of safety professinals don't understand the finer points how can the lay person?

So I couldn't work in a large company (I know I've tried) because I sit in meetings and want to scream as everyone tries to look really clever discussing complex terminology when all they need to do is discuss what needs to be done in simple terms. I will leave such discussions to management as it doesn't float my boat. I don't think it makes them more clever than me or anyone else it just means they are not good at communicating concepts in real terms.

I don't diasagree with the application of psychology, science, behaviour ect. but I dispair when companies want to adopt a 'behavioural based approach' or a 'compliance based approach' because I think that misses the point. It's a bit like people going on a restrictive diet when in fact what's required is a balanced diet.

The use of fancy terminology is one I can't deal with becuase I think it alienates the lay the person from what is in fact simple and logical strategies dressed up as something more. That goes against what I try to do every day which is make the ordinary person realise that safety is not rocket science it is quite logical and simple.

I'm not disregarding developments. Far from it. I'm disregarding management speak that makes everyone scratch their heads and I'm also disregarding a one approach strategy to health and safety. The concept may be useful but the terminolgy isn't.
RayRapp  
#22 Posted : 30 September 2012 09:29:05(UTC)
RayRapp

This penchant to compartmentalise certain aspects of health and safety really annoys me too. First, someone is always trying to re-invent the wheel by giving something a fancy title in order to make it sound special. There are also many in industry who have a vested interest in ensuring that some new fad is sold as the next best thing to sliced bread. However, the principles of health and safety are fairly simple - I prefer to keep it that way, so that everyone understands their roles and responsibilities.

Clairel  
#23 Posted : 30 September 2012 09:31:50(UTC)
Clairel

RayRapp wrote:
This penchant to compartmentalise certain aspects of health and safety really annoys me too. First, someone is always trying to re-invent the wheel by giving something a fancy title in order to make it sound special. There are also many in industry who have a vested interest in ensuring that some new fad is sold as the next best thing to sliced bread. However, the principles of health and safety are fairly simple - I prefer to keep it that way, so that everyone understands their roles and responsibilities.

At least you and I and singing from the same hym sheet then Ray!
RayRapp  
#24 Posted : 30 September 2012 11:15:22(UTC)
RayRapp

Yes Claire, most of the time. In fact, when I speak with other practitioners I normally find we are like minded. So I do wonder who on Earth keeps inventing superficial initiatives which add no value to this industry? Answers on a post card please.
Irwin43241  
#25 Posted : 01 October 2012 09:51:25(UTC)

Behaviour - cutting corners, taking short cuts, not following safe systems of work / control measures, turning a blind eye. That's where I come from related to making a point about poor behavioural safety. I do not muck about when trying to get the message across - providing safety arrangerments are complied with goes along way to help preventing accidents so compliance is good behavioural safety.
jay  
#26 Posted : 01 October 2012 11:06:50(UTC)
jay

It is a pity that somehow, in whatever form the psychological aspects of safety are bundled, there appears to be criticism based on perceptions.

Behavioural Based Safety (BBS) has never been considered at the only aspect ( or smoking gun) that gives magic results. It is one of the tools and, a useful one for organisations that have attained a reasonably mature "safety culture" level.

Secondly, it will never succeed as a tool if the management uses it to “blame” employees. When implemented properly, it can be a very good tool.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/hu...ics/behaviouralintor.htm
jay  
#27 Posted : 01 October 2012 11:09:48(UTC)
jay

Also, BBS is not a very new, organisations have been using it since the late 1980's - early 1990’s
Zimmy  
#28 Posted : 01 October 2012 19:51:46(UTC)
Zimmy

Last week we had a 'tool-box-talk on safe systems of work regarding testing live circuits within control panels.

At the meeting given by one of the electrical managers,we sat talking about safety when testing live at 230 and 400v.

I made a few points, one being that people with no electrical qualifications and formal training whatsoever should NOT be allowed to work/test, on or close to, live electrical circuits (Low voltage - 230/400v)

Imagine my dismay this afternoon when I noticed one of my colleges doing exactly that. The workshop manager had told him to carry out the work.

This action was not a mistake, it was intentional.

All the people involved were at the meeting. The other electrical staff were looking on but saying nothing other than 'someone should say something.

I'll be giving Behavioural Based Safety a fair hearing

RayRapp  
#29 Posted : 01 October 2012 19:57:56(UTC)
RayRapp

zimmy

Interesting observation if not unique. So who will you be giving BBS to - the operative or the manager?
Zimmy  
#30 Posted : 01 October 2012 20:06:21(UTC)
Zimmy

Everyone Ray. If necessary from a stand point of dancing the boardroom table top. The safety culture is non-existent at the moment and will be an up-hill struggle.
RayRapp  
#31 Posted : 01 October 2012 20:24:38(UTC)
RayRapp

Good call.

Don't forget to be diplomatic and sell health and safety - don't want to upset anyone do we. LOL!
Jeff Watt  
#32 Posted : 01 October 2012 21:09:57(UTC)
Jeff Watt

Zimmy

At the risk of melting everyone’s brains with psychology research you could do worse than google/wiki the experiments of Stanley Milgram and the later Stanford University Prison experiment by Philip Zimbardo. Philip Zimbardo is in his late 70's now but was part of a team that had access to the abuses at Abu Ghraib prison.

These experiments looked at how with a set of very simple cues and the artiface of authority you could get anyone( and in many cases 100% of the volunteers) off the street to electrocute co-volunteers with 415 volts. The volunteers didn't know that the person in the next room was an actor as they screamed and begged for mercy and finally fell silent while they continued to follow instructions and shock the presumably unconscious or dead volunteer. He did this over a number of years with thousands of volunteers I believe, so the results are significant.

Zimbardo's experiments in a simulated prison filled with college student volunteers who were randomly allocated to either be a guard or a prisoner. The volunteers were tested to show they had no underlying psychological disease or trauma before the experiment started. The experiment was due to run 14days but within 6 days it had to be abandoned. The students who were made guards were abusing the student prisoners to the extent that two prisoners had suffered mental breakdowns. The student guards had put student prisoners in solitary confinement, made them clean toilets with toothbrushes and forced them to simulate sexual acts to degrade the fake prisoners...all within the first 48hrs. Zimbardo admitted himself that he should have stopped the experiment sooner but was fascinated and did not. One of his associates on seeing the initial results confronted him and he admitted it was at that point he called it to a halt. He had looked into the abyss himself and did not turn back when he should even with his experience and practice.

People are far stranger than I ever imagined. On the other hand this probably sounds like any Wednesday night to anyone who attended Eaton.

Zimbardo's parting shot was this. Bad apples are rare but there tends to be an abundance of bad barrels and bad barrel makers. In other words the system and operational hierarchy causes the choices for all but the most morally courageous of us.

As for BBS it is no more than a "growbag" for kickstarting a culture where people train their gobs to form the word wait at the expense of the immediately pleasing word OK. Not necessarily a bad thing but you could do it yourself without any faffing about with initiatives and big spends.

I hope that proves to you all how clever I am and how well I can cut and paste.

Kind regards

Jeff
John J  
#33 Posted : 01 October 2012 22:17:21(UTC)
John J

Aaron,

Working for a company that first started with behavioural safety in the early 90's and is the subject of a HSE study I can offer you a couple of suggestions;

- you need support, real support, from both the unions and management. It needs to be done in partnership

- you need to have a clear 'no blame' culture. This does not mean no responsibility but provides reassurances that its not a 'blame the worker' policy

- it is one part of the jigsaw. It will only work if your policies, procedures, processes etc are in place

- It's not an instant panacea for all your ills. It takes time and it needs to evolve.

I'd suggest those knocking it have either never implemented it or have had problems sustaining it.

You need to be embedded within a company to successfully implement it. I've seen too many companies use consultants to introduce it without having anybody to keep the ball rolling.

As I said earlier I'm speaking about this after 20 years practical experience of BBS not from reading about it.
redken  
#34 Posted : 02 October 2012 09:15:48(UTC)
redken

zimmy wrote:
one being that people with no electrical qualifications and formal training whatsoever should NOT be allowed to work/test, on or close to, live electrical circuits (Low voltage - 230/400v)

Imagine my dismay this afternoon when I noticed one of my colleagues doing exactly that. The workshop manager had told him to carry out the work.

May I suggest that you first need to agree that line with the workshop manager.
Jeff Watt  
#35 Posted : 02 October 2012 15:38:58(UTC)
Jeff Watt

@ John J

Not sure if you meant 20years at the same employer doing BBS or 20 years at different employers using BBS.

If you meant 20 years at the same employer then that speaks volumes for the calibre of the employer that anyone in this day and age can stay with one that long. Alternatively it speaks volumes regards your tenacity and ethics.

Either way I would suggest the employer, you or both are exceptional (compliment) compared to the majority.

I have experienced three different flavours of BBS starting with Dr Tim Marsh back in 1999 so only 13 years of practical experience. Had some success (at least I think we did) but to be honest none of it came from the BBS. The BBS raised the profile of safety in general and as you said the consultants flew on to pastures new.

The real shift came from getting the staff thinking, that came from asking them questions, the questions came from being on the shop floor stopping and talking for at least 4hrs every day to interact with the 1000 odd souls on site.
The stuff I was doing had nothing to do with the BBS systems that had been implemented. In fact the staff to a man/woman resented the observation and feedback system not because of the observers but because it didn't enable them. So that's what we did, we became listeners and facilitators, bringing all the disciplines together like 5s lean six sigma and H&S to help make improvements based on user feedback and not the other way round.

Agree with you about no blame and embedded long term incremental change. Just don't believe that can be classified as belonging to BBS alone. I would say you are selling yourself short and the change comes from you not the type of safety based system.

Kind regards

Jeff

Invictus  
#36 Posted : 02 October 2012 15:59:16(UTC)
Invictus

Have to agree with Claire and Ray start adding what is considered fancy labeling and most stop, because you are then trying to sell it to the workforce, who either don't unedrstand, and won't ask in case they look stupid or have switched off because they think that you think you are better than them.

I don't think it relates well to others, but call it what you like.

I was planning decorating in the house the other month and recieved an e-mail from my wife who was keen to 'timebox' all events and activities, still haven't done the job, didn't know what she meant and was to affraid to ask
hilary  
#37 Posted : 02 October 2012 16:24:40(UTC)
hilary

Behavioural Based Safety is neither a new name nor a new concept. The concept was developed by Heinrich in the 1930s and the term was devised in the late 1970s. In terms of the history of man, this is a short time, in terms of health and safety, it's really quite a long period.

I've been looking at human factors or behavioural based safety or whatever term you want to use ever since I started doing health and safety back in 1995 and there was a module on it in the NEBOSH General Certificate. As for the employees understanding - we ran a BBS course last year and our employees thought it was brilliant and went away with a new understanding of themselves and their perceptions and how these can be easily swayed by conditioning. It's not rocket science and we should not assume that it is the personal property of health and safety people. Most professions are now looking at human factors, conceptual and contextual bias and other fields of psychology in order to improve their professions and we should not get stuck in semantics when this is a very useful and worthwhile tool, well respected in the community and when used in conjunction with good management systems can build a workforce that is attuned, aware and safe which is, basically, what we are all here for - isn't it?

I have been 22 years with my employer and 17 of those running Health and Safety - can i have a badge please Jeff?

Invictus - "timebox" - yep that's a goodie! I have absolutely no idea what it means.

Steveeckersley  
#38 Posted : 02 October 2012 16:37:38(UTC)
Steveeckersley

Graham Bullough wrote:
Ray - As most forum users probably only have a quick look at the forum from time to time each day, it's likely that many of them either haven't seen this thread yet or have only just seen it. Also, perhaps some people have been over-awed by your use of a posh word describing Kieran's contribution as 'erudite' (while others might think erudite is a brand of adhesive) and also Steveeckersley's literary quotation from Shakespeare's "Hamlet".

For what it's worth, my interpretation of the proposal by Arron's company is a change from 'stick to carrot' i.e. introducing or expanding positive incentives and encouragement for its people to follow safe procedures or systems rather than using a metaphorical stick i.e. achieving things negatively through fear of penalties and reprimands, etc. Apparently some organisations have had a positive culture for a very long time, notably Du Pont whose owner/founder personally introduced such a culture almost 200 years ago after an explosive manufacturing factory in the USA blew up and killed many employees.
Graham - If I am not mistaken Du Pont were one of the worst exponents of BBS by introducing financial benefits for keeping accident statistics down! Free Holidays or washing machines etc Guess what No-one reported accidents because it meant they wouldnt get their company paid holiday etc
Some years ago a company introduced a payment incentive scheme for keeping sickness rates below 4.6% - Guess what Catering staff with infectious diseases were turning up to work!
Like Clairel and Ray lets keep it simple! Its not about one or the other but a proactive approach to balancing both.

Kieran helpfully mentions Dom(inic) Cooper. In the past in our local IOSH network, including the excellent Public Services Section which usually meets near Manchester, has had interesting and useful presentations from him - something for members of IOSH network committees to bear in mind when looking for speakers and topics for future meetings.

Arron - Who is proposing the change in your company? If it isn't being led by or at least has strong and ongoing endorsement from the chief executive and/or managing director, its chance of being successful is likely to be very limited from what little I understand about such matters.

Steveeckersley  
#39 Posted : 02 October 2012 16:39:30(UTC)
Steveeckersley

Graham Bullough wrote:

Graham - If I am not mistaken Du Pont were one of the worst exponents of BBS by introducing financial benefits for keeping accident statistics down! Free Holidays or washing machines etc Guess what No-one reported accidents because it meant they wouldnt get their company paid holiday etc
Some years ago a company introduced a payment incentive scheme for keeping sickness rates below 4.6% - Guess what Catering staff with infectious diseases were turning up to work!
Like Clairel and Ray lets keep it simple! Its not about one or the other but a proactive approach to balancing both.
Zimmy  
#40 Posted : 02 October 2012 19:08:23(UTC)
Zimmy

Notes:

To redkenat #34

The manager in question has nothing but contempt for H&S as is a South African with no idea about the Brit way of doing things let along legislation. I need to drag him along by the ears.

Ray at #31

'Don't forget to be diplomatic and sell health and safety - don't want to upset anyone do we. LOL!' Ray, Diplomatic is my middle name...ok...I fibbed! :-)