Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lisa Boulton  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2013 10:04:54(UTC)
Lisa Boulton

Hello All, We have a new plasterer and he has asked if he can use plasterers stilts as he has used them before and has found them comfortable to use, feels less tired at the end of the day compared to going up and down on a trestle and says there is less risk of over reaching as well. We have never used this method before and other than seeing them on TV DIY shows I don't much about them. An Internet search hasn't provided much in the way of H&S/WAH/training not much mention on HSE site or in the WAHR. Some research in Australia but not here, that I can find. The last mention on the forum via the search function (if it worked correctly!) was in 2009, and seems they are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them. I assume they are on the lower end of control in the WAHR similar to ladders and step ladders. Has anyone used them, or not allowed their use following risk assessment? Does anyone know the genuine risks of using them compared to using a trestle or hop up? What training would be required? Any other thoughts or comments much appreciated. Regards Lisa
Byers33333  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2013 10:36:54(UTC)
Byers33333

Hi Lisa, I have had similar experience with plasterers and ceiling fixers wanting to use such equipment. If you look to the Working at Height Regulations there is however safer, alternative equipment that could be used in most areas. The users prefer stilts because it is much quicker (not safer) for them to work. With regards to training I told told to do an in-house training course based on the i, u, O chart and list tasks e.g. Task 1 - Fit stilts, Task 2. Walk around on stilts without anything in hands. Task 3. Walk around with stilts holding equipment etc etc and as each person become competent in each task it gets signed off. To use stilts the floor area has to be clear of all obstructions, unusual on a construction site. I've allowed the use in back of house areas where the space is tight/small, which makes it difficult to use mobile towers but on sales floor they are not permitted to use them. Also the user needs a risk assessment to justify the use of stilts. If they fall and injure themselves you can bet your bottom dollar a claim (especially from a No win No Fee) will come your way. Your site so your rules, if you feel you don't want them tell the user to find alternative equipment (i'm sure he'll bill you for additional time), but then you may opt for a different contractor Regards Andy
allanwood  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2013 11:45:44(UTC)
allanwood

Hi Lisa I personnally do not have a problem with this type of equipment, and we regularly have plasterers on our sites whom use stilts and have done so for many years without incident. As long as the guy has recieved information, instruction & training on the safe use of his stilts and the work area is kept clean & tidy by utilising a clean as you go approach you shouldnt have any problems.
thanks 1 user thanked allanwood for this useful post.
Gasman on 09/01/2020(UTC)
achrn  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2013 16:43:04(UTC)
achrn

Lisa Boulton wrote:
The last mention on the forum via the search function (if it worked correctly!) was in 2009, and seems they are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them.
There was discussion (in two separate threads, I think) within the last couple of weeks. Search for work at height or WAH, or browse back, but I can't remember exactly which threads. There seems to be an assumption by some people that they are bound to be dangerous. If the floor is flat level and clear, personally I can't see why, and if used properly there's some advantages. There are certainly cases where the total risk of a ladder is less than that of a scaffold tower, and I think there are probably also cases where the total risk of operatives on stilts could be lower than other alternatives.
CliveLowery  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2013 17:07:08(UTC)
CliveLowery

Hi Lisa, We often have ceiling fixers and plasterers wanting to use stilts. As others have previously stated as long as the floor area is clear and is level it should not be a problem. The operatives tend to be more safety conscious on them as well. Regarding training I have not found a training provider yet. To be honest the minute they stand up and start walking you will know whether stilts are right for them or not. Clive
Graham Bullough  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2013 18:01:52(UTC)
Graham Bullough

As a pragmatist I was glad to see the responses by allanwood, achrn and clivelowery. Perhaps some people don't want plasterers using stilts because it's a method about which they know little or nothing and therefore perhaps make unreasonable assumptions about it regarding risk, etc. For a similar situation back in the early 1980s it seemed that a proportion of HSE construction inspectors were very suspicious of companies and individuals wanting to use ropes as a means of access for some tasks. This seemed to be mainly because abseiling and other rope techniques were alien to them even though they had long been used by mountaineers and cavers. As a mountaineer with experience of using ropes I recall one or two chats with construction inspectors at the time, and pointing out that rope technqiques were especially appropriate for tasks and situations where the erection and use of conventional scaffolds was very expensive, time-consuming and/or very difficult technically and likely to involve far greater risks for their erectors and users than abseiling techniques did for those who were suitably trained and equipped. Thankfully, the pioneering practitioners and their representative body, the Industrial Rope Access Association ( IRATA ) persisted in promoting and demonstrating the benefits of rope access techniques so that they are now widely used and accepted worldwide. Perhaps there's now a case for plasterers who prefer using stilts (and others including OS&H practitioners who agree with them) to establish a suitably representative body if one doesn't already exist ! Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable name and initials or even an acronym for such a body?
frankc  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2013 18:35:40(UTC)
frankc

Graham Bullough wrote:
As a pragmatist I was glad to see the responses by allanwood, achrn and clivelowery. Perhaps some people don't want plasterers using stilts because it's a method about which they know little or nothing and therefore perhaps make unreasonable assumptions about it regarding risk, etc.
I wouldn't want them to wear stilts as there is a safer option. Whether that's a trestle, tower, podium, they can all offer prevention of a fall and the W@H hierarchy is clear in it's order. Avoid Prevent Protect As a steel erector in my previous career, we used to walk on the top flanges rather than get in the web and monkey across as it was quicker. Then came harness/Lanyards and we would have to wrap it around the beam. Now it's Cherry Pickers. The bottom line is WHEN someone has an accident on stilts, questions will be asked like 'Was it the safest method using stilts or was there a safer option'
Lisa Boulton  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2013 11:51:39(UTC)
Lisa Boulton

Thank you all for the replies. I did search the WAH suggestion and there was mention of stilts in another thread, so though not specific on stilts the discussion about WAH was quite a useful thread on the general issues of WAH. I've suggested to the Operations Manager that we shouldn't dismiss stilts altogether as the plasterer is likely to need a number of methods of WAH depending on the size/location of the job, as one method won't fit all scenarios, but we need to RA and SSOW and also ensure all access options have been considered and that the best is chosen. Thanks again, Lisa B
firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2013 16:31:36(UTC)
firesafety101

Many years ago I was the first H&S Manager for a small construction company and the word got round that I was a bit of a (can't use the word here but you know what I mean when I say they didn't like or respect me). On one site visit I came across a ceiling fixer wearing stilts who immediately took offence to my presence and let me have both barrels. We had not met before and I did wonder what he was on about. I asked him to get off the stilts and we had a chat about what, why, when, etc. and I did a risk assessment with him for him using the stilts. We discussed things like clear floors, taping off the area, his experience of wearing stilts and lots of other things around stilt wearing while fixing suspended ceilings. When I left him he was happy in his work, still wearing stilts getting on with his work. I was satisfied that he was safely working and - he now had a risk assessment. That led to my street credibility being raised among the site workers who then saw me as a decent guy who could be spoken to as a human being. It also led to me gaining work privately for lots of the small "one man bands" that worked for my employer at the time. Their H&S standards were raised and our site meeting were rather more cordial than would have been otherwise.
achrn  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2013 12:35:47(UTC)
achrn

frankc wrote:
The bottom line is WHEN someone has an accident on stilts, questions will be asked like 'Was it the safest method using stilts or was there a safer option'
And WHEN someone has an accident using trestle, tower or podium, will that question be any different? What has been said is that stilts may be as safe or safer than other means of doing the work. They may, for example, require less manual handling of getting the access equipment to place, they may require less climbing up and down, they may mean that fewer people are needed and therefore there is a lower exposure to risk. A knee-jerk "stands to reason they're dangerous, dunnit" is exactly what the posts here were trying to tackle. I for one am not proposing using stilts if they are significantly more hazardous than other methods. I do believe that it's wrong to assume they are significantly more hazardous, and observing that it's possible that they may be less hazardous.
SP900308  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2013 13:03:46(UTC)
SP900308

Surely this equipment / method of working has been tested under the Regs? I'd be interested to know if the inability to maintain any contact to a fixed object (in a similar way to three point ladder contact) could be considered 'causation' in such a case?
frankc  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2013 16:13:13(UTC)
frankc

achrn wrote:
A knee-jerk "stands to reason they're dangerous, dunnit" is exactly what the posts here were trying to tackle.
No knee jerk reaction from me. I am simply saying there is a safer alternative in the hierarchy of the W@H Regs. Don't you agree with that? The HSE's guidance states working on a ladder should be measured in minutes, possibly between 15-30. Do you think standing on two blocks of wood for prolonged periods is better/safer? I'd personally say this is safer and the regs confirm it. http://i147.photobucket....ankiebluemoon/Refs-1.png Also, who provides 'Suitable and sufficient' Training for the stiltsmen?
firesafety101  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2013 17:33:42(UTC)
firesafety101

Frank you may be taring all with one brush? The ceiling fixer I assisted used proper stilts, aluminium frame with correct ties to his feet/legs. Not two blocks of wood as you suggest. I agree there may be other safer equipment but in whose opinion is that? S&S Training for using stilts? I suppose you would suggest a three year university course would you? Not rocket science to wear a pair of stilts, just risk assess properly.
frankc  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2013 20:00:57(UTC)
frankc

Firesafety101 wrote:
S&S Training for using stilts? I suppose you would suggest a three year university course would you? Not rocket science to wear a pair of stilts, just risk assess properly.
For training, i was going to suggest Billy Smarts Circus. ;-) Re the RA, it's all about if's and buts isn't it? In my opinion, there is a safer option. Good luck to the OP on their decision.
achrn  
#15 Posted : 15 March 2013 13:33:06(UTC)
achrn

frankc wrote:
achrn wrote:
A knee-jerk "stands to reason they're dangerous, dunnit" is exactly what the posts here were trying to tackle.
No knee jerk reaction from me. I am simply saying there is a safer alternative in the hierarchy of the W@H Regs. Don't you agree with that?
No, I don't believe that there are always, guaranteed, 100% definitely safer ways of doing every possible task than using plasterer's stilts.
frankc wrote:
Do you think standing on two blocks of wood for prolonged periods is better/safer?
Absolutely no-one has suggested standing on two blocks of wood. I think you don't know what equipment the discussion is about.
frankc  
#16 Posted : 15 March 2013 14:35:55(UTC)
frankc

achrn wrote:
I don't believe that there are always, guaranteed, 100% definitely safer ways of doing every possible task than using plasterer's stilts. So using a low level tower (boxing ring type) with guard rails offering collective prevention and is higher up the hierarchy wouldn't be safer than using stilts?
frankc wrote:
Do you think standing on two blocks of wood for prolonged periods is better/safer?
Absolutely no-one has suggested standing on two blocks of wood. I think you don't know what equipment the discussion is about.
That was thrown in to see if i could get a knee - jerk reaction. It worked. ;-) Anyway, you have a read of the W@H Regs. I'm off to RA my mate who wants to stand on a skateboard whilst painting a wall....well it is Friday.
boblewis  
#17 Posted : 15 March 2013 14:46:25(UTC)
boblewis

For me Frankc typifies those who do not understand stilts. For many they are no worse than a bicycle and if you can stand upright the effort is no greater
firesafety101  
#18 Posted : 15 March 2013 15:46:30(UTC)
firesafety101

Bob - surely it would have to be a "Unicycle" to allow hands free for plastering ?
frankc  
#19 Posted : 15 March 2013 16:11:29(UTC)
frankc

boblewis wrote:
For me Frankc typifies those who do not understand stilts. For many they are no worse than a bicycle and if you can stand upright the effort is no greater
I understand them, Bob. It's the W@H Regs i don't understand. My take is to be in compliance, we have to use the regs by way of the hierarchy. Surely preventing someone from falling is required over work equipment which doesn't offer that luxury? Low level platform with handrails offering collective prevention over stilts?
achrn  
#20 Posted : 18 March 2013 10:47:12(UTC)
achrn

frankc wrote:
My take is to be in compliance, we have to use the regs by way of the hierarchy. Surely preventing someone from falling is required over work equipment which doesn't offer that luxury?
Presumably that's another comment thrown in that you don't actually believe just to get a reaction? So there's no point trying to engage in conversation with you, is there.
Stiltman  
#21 Posted : 22 January 2018 15:11:48(UTC)
Stiltman

Just to update an old thread...

Training is available for DURA-STILTS - an American brand imported through Carobyn Products in Uckfield.

As far as the WAHR 2005 applies...for the purposes of plastering it will usually require 100% ceiling coverage to put a fresh layer on (skim coat etc), thereby any access system should mirror that coverage (otherwise over-reaching will be the order of the day). The contractor has a choice - put in a 'false floor' scaffold system in accordance with current regs (signed off etc), something he will not have priced into his bid, also taking into account the height of the operative doing the job (again no-one currently does this) hoping the same bod arrives to do the work (as not all plasterers are the same height), or he has to compromise and choose another option...

Any static tower, steps, podium, or similar will introduce more risks - continual stepping on and off (leading to fatigue), the temptation to over-reach, and the height range (again related to user size/reach). A trained operative using a properly fitted pair of stilts in a managed environment will complete the work in less time, in safety, to the required standard (in my experience).

However, there are many, many plasterers out there using unbranded stilts in a state of disrepair, without the first idea on how to fit or adjust them, or where to buy spares.

In the meantime many sites operate a blanket ban on stilts in the misguided belief safety is improved, whilst C & G Plastering in London have racked up >15000 accident free hours on stilts. http://specfinish.co.uk/...act-working-with-stilts/

Just my tuppence worth (based on two decades with stilts).

Charlie Brown  
#22 Posted : 23 January 2018 01:07:25(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I used stilts (and fallen off of them) for a number of years when installing ceilings whilst working in the house refurb game.

I also used to walk on steel "I" beams 100ft above the concrete with no support and no harness whilst carrying steam valves on boilers in a power station. Would I do either now? Not a chance. Times change and so does the awareness that life is too short to put ourselves at risk for a few extra pennies.

Falls from height accounts for some 28% of workplace fatalities and we are still messing about with this stuff?? Sorry but I find this both incredible and rediculous.

Are stilts really safe or has C&G Plastering just been really lucky or are there falls they have had that have not been reported??

There are low level MEWPs (Nano SP as an example) that can be driven through standard sized doorways and drive whilst elevated and take up not much more room than a guy on stilts and one heck of a lot safer. The reason a lot of people don't want to use them is the cost of hiring them, typically £50 per week. Shame.

Stiltman  
#23 Posted : 24 January 2018 16:49:57(UTC)
Stiltman

Originally Posted by: Charlie Brown Go to Quoted Post
...Falls from height accounts for some 28% of workplace fatalities and we are still messing about with this stuff?? Sorry but I find this both incredible and rediculous.

Are stilts really safe or has C&G Plastering just been really lucky or are there falls they have had that have not been reported??...

In 22 years I've not come across any fatalities amongst the plasterers working at ceiling height indoors. None. Similarly C & G Plastering are a reputable contractor - why not ask them if you don't believe the numbers?

And I've not spoken to any spreads working off MEWP - it may happen but I struggle to see how they could do the job in good time whilst moving that rig into position for each 'reach'. And where do you put the spot board?

In the meantime there will be site workers (somewhere) using a scaffold board placed over two crates as access equipment.

Maybe machine plaster is the answer? Do it all from ground level and use long handled floats.

Charlie Brown  
#24 Posted : 24 January 2018 17:40:49(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Sorry if you misunderstand me Stiltman, I wasn't suggesting there have been any fatalities from people falling off stilts, tbh I don't know if there have or not but the POTENTIAL is very real.

(http://www.hse.gov.uk/shatteredlives/)

I do believe though that there have been many more accidents where people have fallen over while using them (me for one) and these have not been reported.

I would not call the integrity of C&G into question either as I have no knowlege of or experience with them but I do know from experience that a lot of the incidents that don't result in significant harm to people goes unreported.

I also know from my former employers' customer base that a lot of people do use MEWPs for this work but obviously this is not always going to be a viable option.

You have already mentioned false floors in a previous post and now machine plastering (though I have never seen it done) so there are other options, even if the job takes longer or costs more.

My main point is just because a method is fast, cheap and everybody does it doesn't mean it is safe and neither does it mean that it should continue.

Originally Posted by: Stiltman Go to Quoted Post
...Falls from height accounts for some 28% of workplace fatalities and we are still messing about with this stuff?? Sorry but I find this both incredible and rediculous.

Are stilts really safe or has C&G Plastering just been really lucky or are there falls they have had that have not been reported??...

In 22 years I've not come across any fatalities amongst the plasterers working at ceiling height indoors. None. Similarly C & G Plastering are a reputable contractor - why not ask them if you don't believe the numbers?

And I've not spoken to any spreads working off MEWP - it may happen but I struggle to see how they could do the job in good time whilst moving that rig into position for each 'reach'. And where do you put the spot board?

In the meantime there will be site workers (somewhere) using a scaffold board placed over two crates as access equipment.

Maybe machine plaster is the answer? Do it all from ground level and use long handled floats.

achrn  
#25 Posted : 25 January 2018 08:48:10(UTC)
achrn

Sorry if you misunderstand me Stiltman, I wasn't suggesting there have been any fatalities from people falling off stilts, tbh I don't know if there have or not but the POTENTIAL is very real.

The POTENTIAL for fatalities is not what we are about though, is it.   

People die from falling down stairs, but we don't ban stairs in the workplace.  People choke on food, but we don't ban eating in the workplace.  It's not the job of H&S to eliminate every potential hazard, or even every potential fatal hazard. 

Once again, it seems this thread has descended to the level of "stands to reason they're dangerous, dunnit".

WatsonD  
#26 Posted : 25 January 2018 09:37:00(UTC)
WatsonD

I do believe though that there have been many more accidents where people have fallen over while using them (me for one) and these have not been reported.

I would not call the integrity of C&G into question either as I have no knowlege of or experience with them but I do know from experience that a lot of the incidents that don't result in significant harm to people goes unreported.

Sorry Charlie but, if you and colleagues/ associates of yours are not reporting these injuries then you are part of the problem.

Charlie Brown  
#27 Posted : 25 January 2018 11:00:57(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Agreed, if I was not reporting then I was part of the problem. My experience with stilts though was in the late '70s and early '80s when safety wasn't quite so highly profiled as it is today. Would I report it now? yes I would.

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

Sorry Charlie but, if you and colleagues/ associates of yours are not reporting these injuries then you are part of the problem.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
WatsonD on 25/01/2018(UTC)
Charlie Brown  
#28 Posted : 25 January 2018 11:09:44(UTC)
Charlie Brown

No it isn't our job to eliminate every potential hazard but it is our job to manage risk. We do this by using tools such as heirarchy of controls. In this case the top contorl is "Avoid working at height if possible" Is it possible to avoid working at height in this instance? We have already established that it is.

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

The POTENTIAL for fatalities is not what we are about though, is it.   

People die from falling down stairs, but we don't ban stairs in the workplace.  People choke on food, but we don't ban eating in the workplace.  It's not the job of H&S to eliminate every potential hazard, or even every potential fatal hazard. 

Once again, it seems this thread has descended to the level of "stands to reason they're dangerous, dunnit".

Elfin Davy 09  
#29 Posted : 25 January 2018 11:42:22(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Hi

The below is taken directly from the HSE's website (Frequently Asked Questions - Construction - Work at Height).  It would therefore appear that the Regulators don't see plasterers stilts as something which needs to be prohibited (so long as training is given and sensible housekeeping rules applied/followed).

Q.  Are workers allowed to use stilts when working at height, for example, when plastering or painting?

A.  Yes, it is acceptable for workers to use stilts providing they are trained and competent to do so and that the surface they are walking on is not uneven or wet and there are no trailing cables or other tripping hazards

Stiltman  
#30 Posted : 25 January 2018 13:01:39(UTC)
Stiltman

No it isn't our job to eliminate every potential hazard but it is our job to manage risk. We do this by using tools such as heirarchy of controls. In this case the top contorl is "Avoid working at height if possible" Is it possible to avoid working at height in this instance? We have already established that it is.

CB I get that you are now better equipped to understand risk, and agree that prevention is better than a cure.

What I dispute is the ends justifying the means when it comes to achieving the flat surface demanded by clients. Machine plastering is advancing, but, there is still a requirement for some touching up and remedials where somebody has to get up close and personal.

The best finish is still applied by hand using a trowel/float. The client demands the best. The designer likes a flat finish. The decorator will love a flat surface. It all adds up to a good job delivered to spec.

Until every plasterer uses MEWP or 'somebody' installs false floors the industry (approx. 5000 bods) will be negotiating the use of towers/podiums/hop ups/boards or looking for a 7ft plasterer. In every case you use static bases the plasterer is going to over reach if he sees a bit he can just stretch to get finished - that is a risk you can eliminate today by using stilts.

Would the trade pay for MEWP or false floors? Not likely in my humble opinion.

Charlie Brown  
#31 Posted : 26 January 2018 08:28:07(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Thanks ED, I have already read through that and who really am I to argue but I wonder (and I really do, not just trying to be clever) if there was a serious accident where someone fell over whilst using stilts will the judge say "That's fine Mr Main Contractor, the HSE said stilts are ok" or will he say "Earlier on in that guideance it says to avoid working at height if possible, why was it not possible to use a different method in this case?"

Originally Posted by: Elfin Davy 09 Go to Quoted Post

Hi

The below is taken directly from the HSE's website (Frequently Asked Questions - Construction - Work at Height).  It would therefore appear that the Regulators don't see plasterers stilts as something which needs to be prohibited (so long as training is given and sensible housekeeping rules applied/followed).

Q.  Are workers allowed to use stilts when working at height, for example, when plastering or painting?

A.  Yes, it is acceptable for workers to use stilts providing they are trained and competent to do so and that the surface they are walking on is not uneven or wet and there are no trailing cables or other tripping hazards

hilary  
#32 Posted : 26 January 2018 08:57:56(UTC)
hilary

There is another HSE question and answer about stilts here:

https://webcommunities.hse.gov.uk/connect.ti/workheight/view?objectId=13683

At the end of the day, you need to complete a risk assessment.  Look at the floor, ceiling height, what other provisions can be made for safety for the job being undertaken and document it.  I think in some cases stilts, which the plasterer is familiar with are safer that a platform that he has to keep moving around to do the job, especially if the platform is a pop up type without rails.  On the other hand, it the whole area can achieve the correct height using MEWPs or other sophisticated equipment then this will be the safer option.

There is no ban on the use of stilts as long as you can justify that that is the safest method taking into account the competence of the worker and the other work at height provisions you can put in place.

Elfin Davy 09  
#33 Posted : 26 January 2018 09:40:00(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Charlie Brown....

I hear what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree with your argument as to the outcome if a case ever went to court.  However, isn't this the same "gamble" we all take every day with risk assessment ?  None of us have a crystal ball, and - although we use our knowledge and experience to do our best to foresee and predict what might happen - it's a given that we can't remove ALL risk, and the unexpected does happen from time to time.  To put it another way, I don't think I've ever seen a risk assessment that couldn't be pulled apart AFTER the event (the very fact that something has gone wrong pretty much highlights a flaw somewhere in the assessment process doesn't it ?).

In the case of plastering ceilings, some form of working at height is currently inevitable (unless - as someone else has already mentioned - we can find an army of 7 feet tall plasterers !), so it's simply a case of deciding upon the least risky option for the particular job, and then rolling the dice and hoping you haven't got it wrong !

Then we move on to the bags of plaster they're lugging about, and the manual handling assessment.....

...it's all in a days work ain't it  :-)

Oxford  
#34 Posted : 03 January 2020 09:25:03(UTC)
Oxford

Hapy New Year to all...

I have come across this thread quite late as I have only recently become involved with advising some companies who undertake drylining and plastering, and some of whose Operatives use stilts on an almost daily basis. I same 'some of' because there are some people who don't have the confidence (or physical capability) to use stilts and so they are generally working off  hop-ups or podium steps, and generally doing the plastering of walls rather than ceilings - but for access to higher ceilings, stilts are commonly used, and in conversation with the Operatives they often say that they feel more comfortable on stilts and they feel they can produce a beter job when working on them.

I realise that's no answer in the event of a fall, but the point I want to make is that these drylining companies are working on construction sites under the auspices of a PC, who will approve the contractors RAMS before work commences, and so the PC's H&S team must also be happy with the RAMS to allow the work to be done in that way. I have yet to come across a site on which such activities are prohibited - not forgetting that it's not just plasterers that use stilts, but they are also commonly used in cieling installation work as well.

I know the thread has covered the issue of better, more safe, access methods, but that hasn't always taken into account the issue of getting other types of access equipment to the work area, which may be on upper levels.

The issue of competency has also been raised, but as there are no 'safe use of stilts' training courses (at least I can't find details of any) how can competency be judged? We are almost going back to grandfather rights, and it gets even harder when you factor in that in (probably) the majority of cases today, the Operatives are from various parts of the EU, and are not just British.

I also note that someone made reference to the 'bags of plaster they lug around'...not in my experience! They have the plaster prepared for them by a labourer and it is brought to the point of work for them. Since they are generally paid on a sq/m rate, they dont want to have to stop for any reason!

My approach is to review the RAMS for the work and question why stilts have been arrived at as the method for doing the work; and then duirng any walkround, make of a point of looking at floor surfaces and housekeeping standards to ensure floors are being kept clear of obstructions. It is also imperative that communication with other contractors is maintained so that they don't litter the place with trip hazards. In this way I can judge whether my client is doing everything reasonable to manage the hazards and risks.

thanks 1 user thanked Oxford for this useful post.
toe on 09/01/2020(UTC)
Stiltman  
#35 Posted : 03 January 2020 12:08:29(UTC)
Stiltman

Originally Posted by: Oxford Go to Quoted Post

The issue of competency has also been raised, but as there are no 'safe use of stilts' training courses (at least I can't find details of any) how can competency be judged?

Contact the main dealer - google DURA-STILTS - in the UK and ask them - they do offer training with certification.

Happy New Year!

Gasman  
#36 Posted : 09 January 2020 16:52:32(UTC)
Gasman

Originally Posted by: allanwood Go to Quoted Post
Hi Lisa I personnally do not have a problem with this type of equipment, and we regularly have plasterers on our sites whom use stilts and have done so for many years without incident. As long as the guy has recieved information, instruction & training on the safe use of his stilts and the work area is kept clean & tidy by utilising a clean as you go approach you shouldnt have any problems.

I always prefer an approach like this. Look, at the end f the day if somene can use stilts while doing an incredbibly skilled job like plastering then they are "qualified" enough. If they fall refer the "NO WIN NO FEE" agent to the RAMS you have done and tell em to do one. 

martyn  
#37 Posted : 27 January 2020 10:57:24(UTC)
martyn

I have no problem with the use of stilts providing the operative is competent and work area clear of trip hazards as suggested by other contributors. I would however expect a daily risk assessment to ensure that worker is not too near a an edge (Ballustraid/window opening etc) where the elevated position on stilts would negate the effectiveness og the edge protection.