Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Barrie(Badger)Etter  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2013 10:55:09(UTC)
Barrie(Badger)Etter

Just over a week ago my daughter was married and as customary I gave the 'Father of the Bride' speech. Being a true safety professional I couldn't let the safety hat be removed and I hereby share the speech for future fathers to borrow / embellish in future. I sign off now for Xmas and wish everyone well for the new year ... Wedding Speech Remember: Stand up to be seen... Speak up to be heard... Sit down to be appreciated! HAVE A DRINK TO HAND Here’s the mother of the brides’ speech – so called due to the heavy editing by the brides mother!!! =O}} When standing before a group of people as a safety officer, I'm usually giving safety talks covering manual handling, chemical hazard assessments and the like – so please bear with me whilst I run through this risk assessment. The risk assessment process better known as the Father of the Bride speech has 4 areas to cover. Stage 1) The Hazard identification or The Greeting - Good afternoon and how do you do. (Offer a theatrical hand shake) On behalf of my wife xxxx and myself, we would like to welcome you to this gathering and thank you for coming to this very special occasion to celebrate the marriage of our daughter Judith to Ben. Firstly, I would like to say what a pleasure meet Ben’s parents - Dave and Barbara, again and of course all the friends and relatives of both families who have literally travelled far to be here today. A big thank you also goes to Judith & Ben who had very definite ideas on how they wanted today to be. Through their planning and tireless efforts they have made today (8th December 2013), here in Lapland / Finland, a memorable day for everyone. I must at this moment also make a special mention of Absent Friends back at home who could not make it to the wedding. A toast to: Absent Friends. Stage 2) Who are affected & potential Hazards or A few balanced words about the Bride & Groom. I cannot begin to tell you how delighted I am to see our daughter, Judith, looking so radiant as she begins a new chapter of her life - as wife and partner of Ben. I know I'm also speaking for xxxx when I say we are not losing Judith; we are merely entrusting her to Ben's care. And as we have come to know Ben well over the last few years, we have arrived at the inescapable conclusion that this will be very first-rate care. As parents we are obviously proud of Judith and pleased to see her looking so happy today and in Judith we see an independent, beautiful young woman who is a wonderful daughter, who has provided us with much joy and laughter over the years and throughout her life, she has always been ready to face a challenge. Some would say, however, that she’s about to face her biggest challenge of all... [PAUSE] Bio hazards – they can be found in all walks of life and in this instance my first memory is of my daughter [PAUSE… think on it] my first memory is of my daughter is of her at five minutes old being thrust into my arms whilst her mother was feeling rather ill at the time (throwing up), since then father and daughter have been having hugs ever since. The next memory is of her at around three years of age running up and down the garden in her red wellies, tripping up and doing a swan dive good enough to score a try with, (there are rumours this is how she fell for Ben) after that things became a blur of rapid growth into the stunning bride you see before you, which brings me to the other half of this partnership. When at university Judith started mentioning someone by the name of Ben and how well they were getting on with each other. Naturally a father is protective of his daughter so my first thoughts were, would he be a 6 stone weakling or a classic punk with full Mohican, covered in tattoos? Thankfully it wasn't so, but had she found Mr Perfect, sadly not and my worst fears came to past … he’s a football supporter and a Millwall one at that. Oh well, nobody’s perfect! Stage 3) Safety Controls or Advice to the happy couple. There are many instances where the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 clause 7 applies whereby it states – it shall be the duty of every one (employee)… to take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of himself and that of others who may be affected by their actions or omissions … so, no matter what you do or say, you get it wrong and you’re stuffed either way Ben … Well Trudy & I have been together for 30 years, and I haven't got a clue how we did it or what the secret is!! One thing for sure, we never gave up. I thought I would relate marriage to the Tour de France - This is a long journey of 3650 km, with quick wins – namely the Sprints, hectic days relying on each other for a fast win – the Team Time Trials and with plenty of Hurdles along the way – the mountain stages and it repeats year in and year out, but as long as you strive and work as a Team you will achieve the success you truly deserve. • Marriage is also remembering to say 'I love you' at least once a day & never being too old to hold hands as time goes by. • Marriage is not only marrying the right person, but also being the right partner. Individual advice - To Judith - Judith when you want something from Ben, just ask for it - don't forget he's a man and subtle hints don't work!! Men see things in 16 bit colour scheme of things not 256 like you girls do, to us fellas there's no such colour as mocha; magnolia or fuchsia, try brown, cream or pink instead. To Ben – When Manual Handling and about to pick Judith up and carry her over the threshold, remember to assess the load – top or bottom heavy, get a good grip and bend the knees prior to picking up … [PAUSE] So Ben, remember there is no challenge in a marriage that cannot be overcome by one or more of the following: Ok, I was wrong; Ok, You were right; Yes Dear; No Dear and the most important - OK love! Just buy it – [PAUSE] failing that a bad memory seems to work, except of course where birthdays and anniversaries are involved …. and a man who gives in when he's wrong is a wise man: A man who gives in when he's right....is well, married. Finally, old married couples seem know that the secret of a successful marriage is patience, tolerance, forgiveness and more patience! Stage 4) The assessment close out or The Toast - The easy bit! My final duty and very great privilege is to formally welcome Ben to our family then to propose a toast to our daughter and our new son-in law. Judith & Ben - Here’s to the past, for all that you’ve learned. Here’s to the present, for all that you share. Here’s to the future, for all that you look forward to, together. May life abundantly bless you both; may you live as long as you wish and have all that you need as long as you live; May the road you choose be smooth and your burdens be light; May your joy be everlasting and may all your headaches be.....[TAKE A DRINK] caused by champagne!! Ladies and Gentlemen, Please stand and join me We have a radiant bride, we have a handsome groom, Strike up your glasses with me as they drink from the cup of friendship, with your vessels filled to the brim, for their love is good and life is long and these two are best together. I GIVE YOU, Judith and Ben, the toast is THE BRIDE AND GROOM.
Safety Smurf  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2013 11:10:09(UTC)
Safety Smurf

Nice one Barrie. Did you learn those lines or read from a script?!!! I'm getting married on Saturday in a cave. I've lost count of the amount of times someone has asked if I've risk assessed it. Safety jokes will be strictly forbiddenon on the day but 'Men Without Hats' is on the playlist. ;-) I probably ought to start writing my speach soon (Friday night in the pub on the back of beer mat I expect).
Barrie(Badger)Etter  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2013 11:22:12(UTC)
Barrie(Badger)Etter

Smurf Nearly learnt by heart but on the day it was just as well I had enlarged the print as I already had downed a few by speech time so had the hard copy to fall back on, my safety net. Hope all goes well for you and enjoy the day. Badger
boblewis  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2013 12:23:40(UTC)
boblewis

Give a short talk on the real Take 5 as iI set it up. Before you do anything, eg a night of passion to a trip to the beach Stop Think through what you are doing Identify the risks/outcomes Control the risks and don't do what you cannot control Complete safely Bob
Gunner1  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2013 13:58:17(UTC)
Gunner1

Barrie Very good. Plenty of control measures. Like any good speech it should stick in the memory but I detect much drinking so maybe not!
Barrie(Badger)Etter  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2013 14:15:33(UTC)
Barrie(Badger)Etter

Gunner Something must have stuck ... I've been asked for a copy by one of the guest - a builder! Badger
Gunner1  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2013 15:19:31(UTC)
Gunner1

Nice one.
lwthesm  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2013 15:42:26(UTC)
lwthesm

Safety Smurf, if you are getting married on Saturday you really really really shouldn't be in the pub on Friday night! Have a great time - on Saturday!
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2021 08:16:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 23/06/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 23/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 23/06/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 23/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2021 08:16:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Alan Haynes on 23/06/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 23/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 23/06/2021(UTC), RVThompson on 23/06/2021(UTC), peter gotch on 23/06/2021(UTC)
peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2021 14:24:02(UTC)
peter gotch

Thanks Roundtuit

How does someone manage to secure the moniker "ForumScreenName"?

A series of postings since January 2019, all adverts except one this week where the poster seems to have forgotten to include some link to who knows what.

...and even the security image is now defaulting......SKY5