Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SimonJMills  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2014 14:46:34(UTC)
SimonJMills

Hi all, I am looking for views on carrying fire extinguishers in company vans under 3.5 tonnes where no dangerous goods are carried. For an example would a carpenter or electrical engineer need to carry one? Of course a risk assessment would be undertaken however what are your own views? From experience those who do have them, they only leave their cradles at inspection and would not use the extinguisher in the event of a fire anyway which makes it pointless.
Andrew W Walker  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2014 14:59:21(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Hi Simon. Given the info you supplied I would not have them installed. If you do then you will have to train all of the drivers in their use, and have them serviced. All cost to the business that you may not need. First I'd risk assess if you need them in the vans. Andy
SimonJMills  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2014 15:10:16(UTC)
SimonJMills

Thanks Andy. My transport Manager feels the following link applies even thought ADR does not apply. http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/fire-ex.pdf Cheers.
Andrew W Walker  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2014 15:28:27(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Simon. That does not apply at all. Its purely for the carriage of DG's. It comes from the transport of dangerous goods section of the HSE website- that should give him a clue. There are differing extinguisher requirements dependant on the load of DG's. I feel that for your circumstances fire extinguishers would not be any benefit at all. Andy
bob youel  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2014 08:05:03(UTC)
bob youel

further to comments ........IF a transport unit is NOT carrying dangerous goods in accordance with ADR 1.1.3.6, it has to be equipped with at least one portable fire extinguisher for the inflammability classes*............ surly the above statement provided via the HSE goes against the principal and requirement to risk assess especially in cases where DG's are not being carried - this is confusing where people do not have the expertise such as Motorhead and others are demonstrating??? In my personal view the answer in no in these circumstances - and even if they were carried in most situations the idea is to get out and call the fire service out!!
firesafety101  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2014 09:06:19(UTC)
firesafety101

OK, me being me would like to pose this question. You are driving on a main road, could be motorway or Primary route etc. and the vehicle in front of you catches fire and stops, you are obliged to stop to avoid an accidental collision and the vehicles to either side of you stop as well. (It does happen you know). The fire is developing and spreading toward you and your vehicle, wouldn't you like to have an extinguisher close to hand, (dry powder for instance) to enable you to knock down the flames and so assist in the evacuation of yourself and others from the danger area?
PIKEMAN  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2014 11:34:31(UTC)
PIKEMAN

OK.......what if you approach the burning vehicle with your dry powder extinguisher (you have to get close with these) and the fuel tank explodes? Personally, I would advise calling the fire brigade, and make you self safe using the inverse squares law. That is, put distance between yourself and the fire.
PeterHenryPeter  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2014 11:58:39(UTC)
PeterHenryPeter

In my opinion, all vehicles must have fire extinguishers, no matter if they are personal or company ones. Motorhead says that this is extra expenses for the business, but what if you catch a fire while driving at the motorway and the closest fire brigade can come after 30 minutes? Fire will destroy your vehicle and equipment for that period of time. Pikeman says that it is dangerous to start extinguishing the fire on your own, because the tank of the vehicle can explode. Well, if an explosion happens, it will hurt you and other people, no matter whether you are watching your car/van/truck burning or trying to put out the fire. To stay safe from such an explosion you have to be at least 500 meters (or even more) away from the vehicle. In a conclusion I will say that it is better to have a fire extinguisher in your company vehicles, for the sake of your employees' lives and for the sake of your equipment. I work in an oven cleaning company ( http://www.fantasticovencleaners.co.uk/ )and I'm glad our vehicles are equipped with dry powder fire extinguishers. I recommend the dry powder extinguishers, because the powder can't conduct electricity, which can be the cause for fire in some extreme cases. Stay safe.
firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2014 12:11:08(UTC)
firesafety101

Pikeman if you read my post you will see that you are in the vehicle directly behind the vehicle on fire and my point is to use the DP extinguisher to enable you, and your family? to evacuate the scene, the fire has just started and it is very unlikely that the fuel tank will explode in such a short time. I attended many many many vehicle fires in my 25 years in the fire brigade and not once did I experience a fuel tank explosion, even when the fire involved leaking fuel through fractured fuel lines ? The tyres usually burst with a scary loud "BANG" but, again, that is once the fire has developed. If a vehicle is carrying pressurised cylinders, and god forbid propane or acetylene then simply start running in the opposite direction as get as far away as you can. Whenever you assess to site an extinguisher it should be at a position on the way out, that goes for on the road as well, I would never advocate taking an extinguisher toward a fire without backup extinguishers and people who know how to use them. If in doubt - get out, stay out and call the brigade out. You just may help to save a life with an extinguisher, and that life could be yours ?
Brett Day SP  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2014 13:00:15(UTC)
Brett Day SP

When I put together a fire safety training course I spoke to our local fire service who told me that it was great that our company had DP extinguishers in all our vans but realistically they should not be used to tackle a fire but to assist in escape from a vehicle. They went on to tell me that the methods of fighting an engine bay fire were traditionally: 1. From underneath or through the wheel arches into the engine bay. 2. Through the rad grill. 3. Two crew - one pops the hood, the other stuffs the hose in. They explained that with wheel arch liners, engine undertrays, a radiator and a/c heat exchanger coupled with how packed in modern engines are that some modern cars it is almost impossible to get at the seat of an engine bay fire so certain makes and models they allowed to burn out in a controlled manner. With that in mind I would not tackle an car on fire unless it was to aid escape. As a complete aside I did see a large DP extinguisher drop of the back of a HGV cab a few years back landing on and breaking if the valve, discharging it almost instantly. The cloud of powder spread across lane 1, 2, & 3 it was like fog !
JJ Proudbody  
#11 Posted : 24 July 2014 13:08:00(UTC)
JJ Proudbody

Brett Day SP wrote:
They went on to tell me that the methods of fighting an engine bay fire were traditionally: 1. From underneath or through the wheel arches into the engine bay. 2. Through the rad grill. 3. Two crew - one pops the hood, the other stuffs the hose in. Well who would have thought it ............. must have taken them years to work it out!!
Brett Day SP  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2014 13:14:09(UTC)
Brett Day SP

I suspect that 1 & 2 were if the bonnet was too crunched to open. Me being a bit backwards... I blame the heat.... Honest !
A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 24 July 2014 13:16:47(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So gentlemen what is the law? Are fire extinguishers required in ALL vehicles or not?
Andrew W Walker  
#14 Posted : 24 July 2014 13:40:54(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

A Kurdziel wrote:
So gentlemen what is the law? Are fire extinguishers required in ALL vehicles or not?
No- they are not. Like a lot of things- its down to risk assessment. Given the info from the OP I would advise any company in that position that they did not need them. Andy
firesafety101  
#15 Posted : 24 July 2014 14:24:01(UTC)
firesafety101

JJ Proudbody wrote:
Brett Day SP wrote:
They went on to tell me that the methods of fighting an engine bay fire were traditionally: 1. From underneath or through the wheel arches into the engine bay. 2. Through the rad grill. 3. Two crew - one pops the hood, the other stuffs the hose in. Well who would have thought it ............. must have taken them years to work it out!!
Three is fine if you have a fire engine with 4 or 5 person crew and a water tank full to 1000 litres, and of course the crow bar and hose line. What do you have in your car or van, any of those? When BCF was allowed it was great for car fires, through the grill without opening the bonnet, but hey ho progress means the better things are not available any more.
stevedm  
#16 Posted : 24 July 2014 17:09:25(UTC)
stevedm

Motorhead - agree whole heartily... However... As most work vans carry a multitude of small quantity DG it is sensible to advise it as nice to have in support of firesafety101 comment... Even the BCGA recommend a minimum kit for carriage of gas cylinders in vans which do operate under the ADR 1.1.3.6 threshold... So the answer is maybe...your risk assessment should consider it...
Ciaran Delaney  
#17 Posted : 24 July 2014 19:43:42(UTC)
Ciaran Delaney

I had a van fire a few years ago and I emptied Fire Extinguisher after Fire Extinguisher into the fire and not a hope of it going out. Yes, I serviced fire extinguishers. The Fire Brigade thought it hilarious! My idiot employer (at the time) wanted me to open the bonnet and disconnect the battery. They were told in three words that doubled in length each time as to what they could do with their suggestion, as the fire was concentrated in that area. Remember the vehicle can be replaced. You're not much good to yourself or your family, badly injured or DEAD.
mssy  
#18 Posted : 24 July 2014 21:05:34(UTC)
mssy

Motorhead wrote:
A Kurdziel wrote:
No- they are not. Like a lot of things- its down to risk assessment. Given the info from the OP I would advise any company in that position that they did not need them. Andy
Could not agree more. Must be risk led, either in terms of life or property Our risk assessment has determined that our vehicles which carry expensive equipment (sometimes £2m+ of kit in a transit size van) should carry DP extinguishers - and in fact they always carry two. It would be stupid for an engine compartment fire to spread and take out this expensive equipment, plus they are never moved with a driver only. Whereas a company cars - 90% lone worker and no expensive kit- do not require FFE
pl53  
#19 Posted : 25 July 2014 08:36:07(UTC)
pl53

To talk about the possibility of a vehicle in front of you catching fire as justification for carrying a fire extinguisher is utterly ridiculous. What are the chances of that happening? Virtually nil in my opinion.
A Kurdziel  
#20 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:20:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So gentlemen we have established that there is no blanket necessity to carry fire extinguishers in a company vehicle but it is down to a risk assessment. I agree. So what risk are we managing? 1. The risk of the vehicles you are driving catching fire ie an engine fire. 2. The risk of the equipment/goods you are carrying eg gas cylinders, flammable paints etc catching fire 3. The risk TO the stuff you are carrying from a fire eg the £1 million worth of comms equipment etc 4. The risk from other users catching fire on the road 5. Or combination of all of the above? Thank You
Steve e ashton  
#21 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:51:51(UTC)
Steve e ashton

PL: You write "To talk about the possibility of a vehicle in front of you catching fire as justification for carrying a fire extinguisher is utterly ridiculous. What are the chances of that happening? Virtually nil in my opinion. " It may be a remote chance - but it does exist! Or at least it used to when vehicles were perhaps less sophisticated than they are now... It happened twice to me in the space of about three weeks in the winter of 1984... That's when I determined that I would always have a suitable extinguisher in my own car. I've replaced assiduously every three years. No longer halon (boo hoo), but still there if needed. Since then - thirty years of high mileage driving - I have never encountered a chance to use it. Only seen two vehicle fires (in passing) since - both very well established and absolutely not appropriate to tackle with a hand-held... I agree with the comments made that (for most people) there is no 'need' and little potential benefit in providing a van extinguisher (unless high values carried - good catch, but I would have thought insurers would be more concerned?). But I will continue to carry one for my own peace of mind...
shauncampbell  
#22 Posted : 25 July 2014 10:41:56(UTC)
shauncampbell

All Just as an additional thought about a DP extinguisher in a van and that there is the risk of the cab as an enclosed space with restricted ventilation which could cause asphyxiation from inhaling the DP, if you were trapped and let one off you could be in trouble?. Regards Shaun
firesafety101  
#23 Posted : 25 July 2014 13:08:40(UTC)
firesafety101

PL53 if I asked you a few months ago what are the chances of a Malaysian passenger airliner disappearing what would your answer have been? If I had asked you about the chances of one being shot down over Ukraine what would you have said? (Same air travel company?) Whenever there is a vehicle on fire on the road there will always be a vehicle behind it, not necessary in close proximity but there will be one behind. Don't you ever ask the "What if" question when risk assessing?
firesafety101  
#24 Posted : 25 July 2014 13:10:18(UTC)
firesafety101

shauncampbell wrote:
All Just as an additional thought about a DP extinguisher in a van and that there is the risk of the cab as an enclosed space with restricted ventilation which could cause asphyxiation from inhaling the DP, if you were trapped and let one off you could be in trouble?. Regards Shaun
How much trouble do you think you would be in without an extinguisher? Just use the extinguisher to break the window glass then put the fire out, to enable you to get out if possible.
mssy  
#25 Posted : 25 July 2014 13:44:23(UTC)
mssy

FireSafety101 wrote:
Don't you ever ask the "What if" question when risk assessing?
Er, no! Sure the question should be how likely is something likely to happen and what are the likely outcomes in terms of injury? Using a 'What if?' (cover any risk regardless of how unlikely) principle, we would have office staff wearing hard hats whilst using a PC and wearing hi viz over their suits during boardroom meetings?