Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meady  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2014 16:59:45(UTC)
meady

Hi there I have been informed that one of our overseas shipments will most likely be on shipping containers from now on. I'm just trying to get information on any laws/regs regarding unloading of the pallets and can not find any. The driver who brings the container on site is apparently not allowed on to the container and has to sit in his cab whilst we unload. There is no loading bay on site so someone would have to go onto the container and use a pump truck to move the pallets so that the FLT can remove them. I am going to put together a procedure etc but would like some help from you guys if possible. Has anyone else had to deal with similar situations before and what actions did you take? Thanks for any help Dave
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2014 20:37:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

My deepest sympathy. Been there done that and still having the debate. Considerations include: The level of the container - invariably there is a slope one way or another. How to get employees in to and out of the container. The fact pallet trucks can gather momentum with load due to no in built brakes The condition of the container floor - invariably never as built and often not suitable for a manual pallet truck. The manner of stowage and securing during shipment affecting pallet orientation and the number of lifts and reorientations and don't forget the joys of working inside these things during summer (no need to go to the sauna). The actual weight / bulk of the load - shippers always try to maximise the cube fill neglecting to consider what problems exist at the other end. Your regs include manual handling, work at height, broaching in to confined spaces, PUWER And COSHH - dependent on point of origin / shipping routes possible unwanted passengers. Ended up with discussion of short mast FLT and access ramps as possible solutions as we too have no loading dock. Currently have a set of access steps including gate and a powered pallet truck that is passed to the despatch operative in the container by FLT. Designated stop line to reduce the angle in the container bed and a pre inspection of the load before we bother starting. Keys and driver removed from the cab and vehicle wheels chocked.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2014 20:37:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

My deepest sympathy. Been there done that and still having the debate. Considerations include: The level of the container - invariably there is a slope one way or another. How to get employees in to and out of the container. The fact pallet trucks can gather momentum with load due to no in built brakes The condition of the container floor - invariably never as built and often not suitable for a manual pallet truck. The manner of stowage and securing during shipment affecting pallet orientation and the number of lifts and reorientations and don't forget the joys of working inside these things during summer (no need to go to the sauna). The actual weight / bulk of the load - shippers always try to maximise the cube fill neglecting to consider what problems exist at the other end. Your regs include manual handling, work at height, broaching in to confined spaces, PUWER And COSHH - dependent on point of origin / shipping routes possible unwanted passengers. Ended up with discussion of short mast FLT and access ramps as possible solutions as we too have no loading dock. Currently have a set of access steps including gate and a powered pallet truck that is passed to the despatch operative in the container by FLT. Designated stop line to reduce the angle in the container bed and a pre inspection of the load before we bother starting. Keys and driver removed from the cab and vehicle wheels chocked.
walker  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2014 07:44:50(UTC)
walker

This may sound mad but also consider if they are a confined space due to oxyegen depletion or gas generation created by the load.
Animax01  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2014 09:50:56(UTC)
Animax01

We have had this issue several times, the pallet is about a 1000KG too! We manage this by having a metal pallet with edges made up so that the pump truck can push onto it and lower and move away. This way there is no chance of the pump truck going over each either edge or through the mast. There is communication between the fork lifter, the pump truck operator and there is third person that co-ordinates the two, just to be on the safe side. It's not ideal; we receive the delivery from China, so I'm just grateful they are on pallets at all. There are over precautions we take such as spill kits, first aid and having the area coned off etc....
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2014 09:51:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Depends on the product in the container as well. We had fun and games with a shipment of tree ferns from Tasmania once. They may or may not have been dosed with something and getting a straight answer was difficult to say the least.
Dazzling Puddock  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2014 10:18:29(UTC)
Dazzling Puddock

If this is to become a regular operation then I would suggest building a moblie unloading platform. Basically a large steel table with guard rails and a see saw / ajax gate to protect the open edge when removing the pallets. A set of stairs welded onto the side for access to the container. Looks a bit like a kids drawing of an offshore platform without the derrick. Lift into place with the forklift or leave in a fixed position and have drivers reverse into it and smash their lights!!
stevie40  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2014 10:42:31(UTC)
stevie40

Roundtuit alluded to it re stowage but it is absolutely critical that you develop a safe working procedure for opening the container doors. My employers have dealt with some claims for horrendous injuries where the doors have been opened and the unstable load has fallen onto the employee. You need to unlatch and then place yourself behind the door and carefully walk it around to the open position. That way, the door is between you and any falling objects.
stevedm  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2014 11:51:04(UTC)
stevedm

Don't forget the use of methyl bromide or the like during the fumigation of the load...
A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2014 12:22:13(UTC)
A Kurdziel

SteveDM wrote:
Don't forget the use of methyl bromide or the like during the fumigation of the load...
That was our problem...
meady  
#11 Posted : 26 September 2014 09:06:05(UTC)
meady

Hi guys Thanks for all of your posts Looks like I am going to be busy for a while on this one. First delivery is due in in 3 weeks time so I will be able to sort something out by then. Thanks again
gotogmca  
#12 Posted : 26 September 2014 16:23:23(UTC)
gotogmca

Depends on how much space you have but you can purchase mobile loading ramps. http://www.thorworld.co.uk/ (no connection) and then you use your FLT (if it is small eneough) to unload. We do this daily.
Kim Hedges  
#13 Posted : 29 September 2014 12:55:56(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Interesting post. Depending on space, you could construct a loading/unloading ramp using a local builder, they are not difficult to build nor that expensive. I worked for KBR in Iraq and the company built these ramps in all the places we delivered (about 100 sites). Depending on company money, you could invest in a lease of a robot to unload the pallet for you, negating all manual handling (I'll look for the link I have seen) or use a different unloading method designed for container work - there are many, search YouTube. Another idea, contact the Chinese company supplying the goods, ask how they load, if it's manually, forget the idea. Another idea, ask the trucking company that delivers the container freight to use trucks with cranes or A-frames and leave the container at your site to be unloaded at your convenience, thus freeing up the driver and any expense in unloading times.
Kim Hedges  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2014 12:59:21(UTC)
Kim Hedges

As promised.
Kim Hedges  
#15 Posted : 29 September 2014 13:06:36(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Containers being downloaded on the side by cranes mounted on the truck delivering the containers.
anthonyratchford  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2014 16:04:21(UTC)
anthonyratchford

As mentioned before, all aspect have to be considered such as working at height and in a confined space.... When it comes down to off loading, we personally lift someone in a secure cage from the forklift. One the person is in the container we then have 2 people inside to safely secure the load with a pump truck to the edge of the container for the forklift to take the pallets. It is not always easy to construct ramps depending on space, and the size of your company for cost. You will have to find the safest way which applies to your own company needs.
meady  
#17 Posted : 30 September 2014 10:05:44(UTC)
meady

Hi thanks again for all your posts. I doubt the company would pay for a ramp to be installed due to costs and space in the yard. I will have a look at the link though and put the idea forward......they might surprise me and buy a ramp after all. Until then, my plan is to carry out a risk assessment and try to get the company to see just how many risks there are in unloading a container without a ramp on site. If anyone has any risk assessments they wish to share please pm me as any help would be great! Thanks very much Dave
Adams29600  
#18 Posted : 30 September 2014 16:38:17(UTC)
Adams29600

Meady, if you are anywhere near the North East, you are welcome to look at how we do it. We use a mobile ramp, we take the driver's keys off him and we use a FLT
ed101  
#19 Posted : 14 November 2015 18:02:12(UTC)
ed101

This could help some of you.
mihaibertea  
#20 Posted : 14 November 2015 20:42:44(UTC)
mihaibertea

anthonyratchford wrote:
As mentioned before, all aspect have to be considered such as working at height and in a confined space.... When it comes down to off loading, we personally lift someone in a secure cage from the forklift. One the person is in the container we then have 2 people inside to safely secure the load with a pump truck to the edge of the container for the forklift to take the pallets. It is not always easy to construct ramps depending on space, and the size of your company for cost. You will have to find the safest way which applies to your own company needs.
Hi A, What kind of cage are you using? is it a non-integrated cage that you attach on the FLT? There are some guidance notes from HSE on the use of this equipment. Please see attached. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pm28.pdf
Rob35  
#21 Posted : 16 November 2015 09:37:02(UTC)
Rob35

ed101 wrote:
This could help some of you.
We have purchased on of these, works extremely well. We have everything from light boxes to glass jars, tins etc. We also have mobile ramps for loads that are on pallets, but most do come in without pallets and we have to unload on to pallets. Offloading the container is not an option. Also bear in mind access to start the offloading as the goods will be loaded up to the back doors, we have hand platforms manufactured to maintain edge protection. Happy to share some pictures, PM me you e-mail address. Rob
Rob35  
#22 Posted : 16 November 2015 09:43:54(UTC)
Rob35

Also, do not forget that loads can shift during transit and be pressing against the rear doors (Dependent on the goods)
Dougiee  
#23 Posted : 10 October 2017 13:15:16(UTC)
Dougiee

Hi Meady - what solution did you come up with in the end? There's some good advice in here. The Thorworld ramps look great but are very big and are for palletised loads.

I've a similar challenge whereby I need to unload a loose loaded shipping container from the back of a lorry. The size and weight of the boxes vary as it is almost always new stock. We don't have much space to move in. I'm looking at a mobile platform of some sort to safely climb onto the container - it's then getting the stock lowered from 1.5m+ that's the challenge.

Ideally a rollerbed would be great but we are short on space.

Brian Campbell  
#24 Posted : 10 October 2017 14:56:04(UTC)
Brian Campbell

You could insist the containers are delivered with a hi-ab and then placed on the ground.  You can then hire a 'container shutter type forklift' which will fit inside a container.  You would just need a set of small ramps made to allow the forklift in and out of the container.