Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidjohn#1  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2015 00:08:20(UTC)
davidjohn#1

Am I right in interpreting that the RRFSO does not actually specify anywhere within, that a portable fire extinguisher is a specific requirement by law? 13.—(1) Where necessary (whether due to the features of the premises, the activity carried on there, any hazard present or any other relevant circumstances) in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons, the responsible person must ensure that— (a) the premises are, to the extent that it is appropriate, equipped with appropriate fire- fighting equipment and with fire detectors and alarms; and (b) any non-automatic fire-fighting equipment so provided is easily accessible, simple to use and indicated by signs. Best regards DJ
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2015 08:20:11(UTC)
RayRapp

David I'm not a fire expert but I believe you are correct. The fire fighting equipment required would be identified in the FRA. In some properties the fire service have recommended that portable fire fighting equipment is removed totally. The reason being that they do not want people fighting fires but rather to evacuate the building. Anyway, no one should use fire fighting equipment unless they have been trained to do so. Ray
firesafety101  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2015 14:05:46(UTC)
firesafety101

The guide to offices and shops fra states " a number of portable extinguishers may be required and they should be sited in suitable locations e.g. on the escape routes at each floor level". Also "people with no training should not be expected to attempt to extinguish a fire". There is more but this is just a snippet to show it does suggest extinguishers should be sited at some points. Now then, can anyone actually inform me that extinguishers are not required by law?
stonecold  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2015 14:22:23(UTC)
stonecold

I dont think they are required by law. There doesnt seem to be an absolute duty to provide them in the RRFSO (Reg 13). The term where necesassry is used when talking about provision of extuinguishers. Surely if there was a clear unarguable legal duty to provide them the words must or shall would have been used instead?
thanks 1 user thanked stonecold for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 30/10/2018(UTC)
Tomkins26432  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2015 14:23:53(UTC)
Tomkins26432

In undertaking Fire RAs I've worked on the basis that if it's a location where a fire extinguisher would help/enhance the evacuation process then you need one. If your (competent) assessment has this finding then in order to comply with the law you must need one?
firesafety101  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2015 16:04:32(UTC)
firesafety101

Interesting to see what the HSE has to say on the subject. http://www.hse.gov.uk/co...generalfire.htm#fighting stone cold says the words shall or must, is the word 'should" counted?
gt  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2015 16:08:23(UTC)
gt

Isn't "non-automatic fire fighting equipment" a fire extinguisher? If you have extinguishers don't forget the training in their use. Graham
firesafety101  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2015 16:14:56(UTC)
firesafety101

Some successful prosecutions that include fire fighting equipment. Not necesserily or specifically fire extinguishers but I am sure they can be included in the "appropriate" bracket, (excuse the pun, wall brackets h ha) Start with this one: 24th September 2010, London Fire Brigade Defendant - Owner of a House in Multiple Occupation Seven breaches including lack of suitable and sufficient Fire Risk Assessment and absence of appropriate fire-fighting equipment. Fined £16,000 including costs. 5th August 2013, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service Defendant - Graham Sawings, Blackpool based landlord Charged with multiple fire safety failures, including failure maintain the fire detection and warning system, failure to provide a suitable fire evacuation plan, failure to provide fire-fighting equipment and failure to maintain fire resisting doors. Fined £36,000 plus £7000 in costs 11th July 2013, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service Defendant - Derek Sweeney, director of the Travellers Rest at Gransmere in Cumbria 6 fire safety failures, including failure to conduct a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment, failure to provide means of detection and giving warning in the event of a fire, failure to provide adequate means of fighting a fire, failure to provide adequate means of escape from the premises, failure to protect the means of escape from the effects of fire. Fined a total of £14,420 If not required how can "not properly maintained" be a breach? (see below). 13th January 2012, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service Defendant - Delicious Foods Ltd of Liverpool Road, Eccles Failure to carry out a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment; failure to provide a suitable escape route; and failure to provide a fire alarm or warning system in case of fire. The upper part of the premises had been used as a sleeping area and for general accommodation purposes. The only escape route from the upper floors was a single staircase which led into the commercial kitchen. There had been no evidence of any system to raise the alarm in case of fire. Nor had there been any any emergency lighting present and the fire extinguishers had not been properly maintained. Fined £13,000 4th January 2012, Nottingham Fire and Rescue Service Defendant - Mohammed Munir, Quilt making businessman and former Lord Mayor of Nottingham Failure to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment, failure to comply with an enforcement order, failure to ensure an effective means of escape from the premises, failure to ensure that exit routes were clear at all times, failure to provide adequate emergency lighting in emergency routes and exits, failure to ensure that non-automatic firefighting equipment provided was easily accessible, simple to use and indicated by signs. Sentenced to 26 weeks imprisonment suspended for two years Also ordered to do 180 hours unpaid work and pay £4,000 in costs
kevkel  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2015 16:15:38(UTC)
kevkel

gt wrote:
Isn't "non-automatic fire fighting equipment" a fire extinguisher? If you have extinguishers don't forget the training in their use. Graham
No. You could have a dry riser sprinkler system that the FRS connects to upon arrival. You are not going to find a law stating you must have fire extinguishers. it is implied in much of the legislation/guidance but like many of these issues where there is no law stating you must "provide extinguishers" "test fire alarms" etc, how can you prove you are compliant with legislation if not there?
mssy  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2015 18:04:23(UTC)
mssy

I can give a definitive 100% answer on this: No, it is not a legal requirement to have fire extinguishers - period. The 'where necessary' part of the fire safety order means just that - as determined by the FRA For low risk, it is possible not to have any. EG. A car hire company employs 100. Two people man a small portacabin in a car park to manage the drop offs and pickups. It may be reasonable to not have extinguishers in such circumstances. Dont forget the FSO is all about life safety, and how an extinguisher is gunna help these two people travel 3 metres to outside is beyond me. There are many low risk, low fire loading and short travel distance examples where I would not advise on having extinguishers. The big controversy is common parts of flats. Again, I would argue if its a sterile area with low combustibles and good front doors, there may not be a requirement. How about a social housing block in an area of high vandalism? OK, the risk of arson may be higher than the norm, but how long will the extinguishers last before being emptied, stolen or on E-bay? Lastly, do not not confuse guidance (including British standards) which give ideas of what you should do and law which say what you must do
thanks 2 users thanked mssy for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/09/2018(UTC), toe on 15/09/2018(UTC)
davidjohn#1  
#11 Posted : 12 February 2015 22:33:19(UTC)
davidjohn#1

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. As with most things in safety and Law, interpretation of what is meant is always a significant factor and sometimes not 100% definitive. I am of the opinion and agree with the majority of you that they are not required by law, but there is a place for them depending on the risk and other factors. I'm am very interested in the topic of portable extinguishers as I am doing my dissertation on them. I wonder what insurers views would be and how the industry and local authroity would react if a company decided to remove them altogether following their risk assessment? London underground did it a few years ago, they removed extinguishers from the rolling stock, one of the main reasons being that the interior was made to be fully fire retardant so fire was unable to occur.
stonecold  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2015 06:13:56(UTC)
stonecold

FireSafety101 wrote:
Interesting to see what the HSE has to say on the subject. http://www.hse.gov.uk/co...generalfire.htm#fighting stone cold says the words shall or must, is the word 'should" counted?
Hi, No, the word should isnt really the same..shall and must are legal terms or lawyer speak whatever you want to call it. They will appear in legislation when there is an absolute duty to do something.
Eddscott  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2018 07:35:04(UTC)
Eddscott

Just to summerise :

The Law - RRFSO - does not explicity state they are needed - its the FRA that needs to identify if they needed and if not why not  it states "take measures for fire-fighting in the premises, adapted to the nature of the activities carried on there and the size of the undertaking and of the premises concerned."

The provision and maintenance of fire extinguishers is also covered by BS5306, which gives guidelines as to which extinguishers to use where and on what type of fire. - this is guidance and not law.  The British Standard 5306 provides a formula for calculating the number of Class A fire extinguishers needed. At its simplest, it involves applying the rule of thumb that one 13A extinguisher covers 200 square metres of floor area. To work out how many 13A extinguishers are required, divide the floor area by 200 then round up the figure. There should be a minimum of two extinguishers per floor (giving a combined rating of at least 26A) unless the upper floor area is less than 100 square metres and is single occupancy. In that case, only a minimum rating of 13A is required on that upper floor.

HSE - do not state they are specifically needed - "should" is used in information.

So just tell me - do I need them - you would always refer back to your FRA, if in doubt put them in, but always remember your insurance conpany may invalidate your policy without adequate fire fighting controls.

Edited by user 14 September 2018 07:38:40(UTC)  | Reason: correction to law

WatsonD  
#14 Posted : 14 September 2018 08:48:39(UTC)
WatsonD

We don't have a single fire extinguisher in our offices. We have fire sprinklers. No training required.

Eddscott  
#15 Posted : 14 September 2018 09:15:49(UTC)
Eddscott

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post

We don't have a single fire extinguisher in our offices. We have fire sprinklers. No training required.

So "take measures for fire-fighting in the premises" is mains system - the law doesnt dictate what system is used, just need to ensure something is in place.

WatsonD  
#16 Posted : 14 September 2018 14:47:02(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Eddscott Go to Quoted Post

So "take measures for fire-fighting in the premises" is mains system - the law doesnt dictate what system is used, just need to ensure something is in place.

It wasn't a comment in repsonse to your post. In fact I hadn't read you post TBH. It was in response to the OP asking whether fire extinguishers are necessary.

Messey  
#17 Posted : 15 September 2018 05:05:35(UTC)
Messey

It would be a brave risk assessment that said that no extinguishers were required solely using the argument that a sprinkler sysem was fitted!!!!!

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the term 'where necessary' means just that. It allows each case to be taken on its own merits - aka a FRA. It prevents  the ridiculous situation of each market stall in a covered market, or a small portable cabin being forced to be provided an extinguisher.

However, after giving this post some thought, I really cannot think of a single building I know of that is fitted with sprinklers that would be suitable for waiving the provision of extinguishers. Sprinklers are generally fitted to larger or taller buildings or those which present a certain risk (basements, bulk storage or data halls etc).  Surely all or 99.9999% of these would require extinguishers?

With the exception of common areas of blocks of flats that may be fitted with sprinklers, I really cannot see the installation of sprinklers as an automatic reason not to have extinguishers. They are first aid firefighting equipment designed to be used in the fire's early stages and perhaps before the stage where life is at risk. There can often be cases where fires produce little heat - levels below that to fracture a sprinkler bulb - but will produce lots of smoke early on in its development . An extinguisher if used competently and in time, can prevent fires developing further.

Let me be clear, I am not critising sprinklers as I am a self confessed fan, but their role in a fire is NOT the same as an extinguisher. A sprinkler system is designed to contain a partially developed fire, control smoke spread and provide time for people to escape. Extinguishers are aimed at early intervention well before the fire has developed to a point that it will activate a sprinkler bulb

I would be interested to hear others views on this especially WatsonD who perhaps could describe the risk profile of the building they are referring to

toe  
#18 Posted : 16 September 2018 10:52:19(UTC)
toe

A new building (less than one year old) which I am currently involved with, has a sprinkler system fitted and no extinguishers. This premises involves care staff providing 24-hour care to 10 residents. My fire risk assessment has recommended fire blankets in the residents’ kitchens and fire extinguishers in the staff base. My thinking is that fire blankets and portable fire extinguishers could deal with a small fire (all staff are trained in their safe use) prior to the sprinklers activating. However, the landlord is refusing to provide extinguishers stating that they are not needed due to the sprinkler system being fitted. My battle with them continues…

Note: Scottish Legislation.

Messey  
#19 Posted : 17 September 2018 10:17:09(UTC)
Messey

Toe: 

I cannot understand any care provider anywhere - let alone Scotland with its recent history - would penny pinch over a few extinguishers. With 10 residents, its not going to be a huge building I would imagine??

Have you considered Brittania P50s? These are so-called service free extinguishers that may be more acceptable to this person. 

Why is it so difficult for people to understand that sprinklers are not first aid firefighting equipment?Incidentially, are the residents ambulant and able to self rescue in a timely matter - even if on sleep enhancing medication at night?

Good luck

Hedgehog  
#20 Posted : 17 September 2018 15:18:19(UTC)
Hedgehog

I once asked a senior fire officer for his comments on fire extinguishers and should they be installed.  His comment was that yes, they should be installed and employees trained when and perhaps most importantly when not to use them.  He also stated that why should he put his fire fighters at risk at a large fire when it could have been extinguished in its early stages.

With regard to sprinklered locations I think most insurers would require fire extinguishers and employees trained in their use even in sprinklered premises.  Using an extinguisher in the incipient stages could extinguish the fire instead of waiting for the fire to grow and the sprinklers to operate, resulting in greater disruption.

I believe about 80% of fires are extinguished by a fire extinguisher without the intervention of the fire brigade.

WatsonD  
#21 Posted : 18 September 2018 08:54:49(UTC)
WatsonD

messey - my post was intended as a bit tongue-in-cheek as it wasn't in any way an answer to the OP, but as you have called me out I shall attempt to elaborate. Yes the office I work in has not got any fire extinguishers. It is a single story open plan office, with a small kitchenette which has a microwave and an urn. Other than that there are two toilets. The office is approximately 9,000  ft2 and has three fire exits. We have 30 people working in the building. We have a fully functional fire sprinkler system. I should add that we are a sprinkler installation company. The greatest risk of a fire is in the kitchenette where we have a fire blanket. We also have a fire alarm.

I agree the sprinkler system does not fulfil the same requirement as an extinguisher but I have deemed the risk to be acceptable.

Oh, and go easy on the exclamation marks, one is enough to make your point! LOL

DaveBridle  
#22 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:22:42(UTC)
DaveBridle

WatsonD - you state"with a small kitchenette which has a microwave and an urn."

I am going to go slightly off-topic on this one, but, why if you have a small kitchenette with a microwave and an urn do you have a fire blanket?

Surely a fire blanket is used for supressing a fire in a chip pan for example - as shown during the usual fire warden training - you are not cooking in the kitchenette using oils/fats etc.

In this scenario surely you would have a CO2 extinguisher available as your main hazard is electrcity.

The reason I say this is that a few years ago our competent FRA provider raised the same question during his re-assessment.  Something that has stuck with me ever since.

Just because it is a kitchenette doesn't automatically need a fire blanket.

WatsonD  
#23 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:38:43(UTC)
WatsonD

DaveBridle - I was directly responding to a question posed by Messey, which is why I named him specifically in the post, but as you ask: the fire blanket was put in the kitchen before we moved in. I saw no reason to remove it as it is not obtrusive, thinking it might come in useful one day.

bigpub  
#24 Posted : 19 September 2018 06:25:12(UTC)
bigpub

A very interesting thread. I am after a spreadsheet for fire loading. Can anybody help. Others on the net seem confusing

Mark-W  
#25 Posted : 19 September 2018 09:21:49(UTC)
Mark-W

In one of my clients offices, we have an urn and microwave. There is no fire blanket, but when we had a recent external audit conducted we were challenged on the no fire blanket.

I explianed as others have, that as there is no cooker, there is no hot fat's/oils being used so no need.

His answer was quite funny really but it went along the lines of,

If a member of staff cooks something in the microwave and inadvertently puts it on for 20 mins not 2 and then walks away and forgets, it could be a food that has a high oil/fat content and could catch fire. A blanket could then be used to smother the fire that is inside the microwave.

As soon as the auditor left, I advised the MD to not renew the contract with them and go elsewhere for his external audit.. In my mind it was shocking advice coming from a professional.

kmorrow87  
#26 Posted : 29 October 2018 10:09:03(UTC)
kmorrow87

I was just wondering if anyone could provide some clarity on training requirements for fire extinguishers

I work for a local governemnt body, all dept supervisors are fire marshal trained, but we have drivers who have small extinguishers in their cabs to aid escape in the event of a fire, they are not fire marshals therefore what levels of training is required to use the small extinguishers? 

Could the qualified fire marshals provide training?

Thanks

Messey  
#27 Posted : 29 October 2018 16:14:02(UTC)
Messey

Kmorrow

Fire safety legislation is all aimed at life safety (and not property or asset protection).  With that aim in mind, Fire Safety Order 2005 states:

• Article 21(1) - an employer must provide training
  • Article 21(2) - that the training should include he 'appropriate precautions'

Therefore, if having the fire extinguishers is part of your emergency plan aimed at protecting life (ie for securing a protecting an escape route), then staff must receive training. 

However, is an extinguisher in a vehicle part of a life safety strategy?  For a PCV perhaps, but not usually for a car. But then add on the fact that a the Fire Safety Order doesnt apply in roadworthy vehicles (ie those subject to a road licence) then the duty to provide training isnt there.

How about providing a one sheet of A4 to/for all drivers. It should provide instructions how to use the extinguishers, but even more importantly, details of when not to and how to use it safely? Add a few FAQs and that may be sufficient. IMO, for vehicles other than PCVs, evacuating the vehcile and calling 999 is a sensible strategy and not one that asks an employee to fight a car fire with a tiny powder extinguisher

As I said, for PCV and vehicles carrying hazardous cargoes, different rules apply in relation to the provision extinguishers, and be aware that some fleet insurance companies will require them

A Kurdziel  
#28 Posted : 30 October 2018 09:41:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Key phrase is “Where necessary” and you know it is necessary based on your fire risk assessment and if “necessary” you should have “appropriate,” fire-fighting equipment etc. This will include non-automatic fire-fighting equipment (eg fire extinguishers) that are “easily accessible, simple to use and indicated by signs”.  It nowhere says that you must or should or will have fire extinguishers. If your fire risk assessment says that they are not “necessary” they you don’t need them but remember if you decide that they are not necessary the onus will be on you to demonstrate that they are not necessary(See Article 34) and you have done everything reasonably practicable.  

JohnW  
#29 Posted : 30 October 2018 13:27:26(UTC)
JohnW

In the examples posted by by member firesafety01 in post #8, there is the case of a hotel, Travellers Rest, and the report included:

failure to provide adequate means of fighting a fire

failure to protect the means of escape from the effects of fire.

So on his hotel premises the prosecutors are are saying fighting of a fire is an expected action, and to protect means of escape. Having fire extinguishers is one way to do both, or maybe just sprinklers? 'Fighting a fire' suggests extinguishers to me. I would certainly include it if I was writing their fire risk assessment.

kmorrow87  
#30 Posted : 30 October 2018 15:05:58(UTC)
kmorrow87

Thanks all for your responses, very helpful

It would not be a means of protection of the vehicle, it would solely be to aid a persons escape and would be for a variety of vehicles, mostly LGV's and road sweepers etc.  I guess my point is, does the training on the use of an extinguisher need to be external accredited training or can this be given by an individual with suitable experience such as a qualified fire marshal?

Invictus  
#31 Posted : 30 October 2018 15:37:11(UTC)
Invictus

Good job it's an office othnerwise the smoke would kill you before the sprinkler went off.

A Kurdziel  
#32 Posted : 30 October 2018 17:00:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have just looked through the FSO and there is no direct mention of a requirement to have fire extinguishers. As several people have said that depends on the FRA.  As to the cases referred to in Post #8, the reports do not mention the actual offences that the defendants have been found guilty of, as described in Article 32 of the Order. It could be that not having a fire extinguisher available was evidence of a legal breach but it is not a breach itself.   

Invictus  
#33 Posted : 31 October 2018 07:19:11(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post

Good job it's an office othnerwise the smoke would kill you before the sprinkler went off.

Humblest apologise for some reason my head switched to detectors.
thanks 1 user thanked Invictus for this useful post.
WatsonD on 31/10/2018(UTC)
WatsonD  
#34 Posted : 31 October 2018 09:05:18(UTC)
WatsonD

Humblest apologise for some reason my head switched to detectors.

Its the taking part that counts LOL

Boden31904  
#35 Posted : 06 November 2018 16:26:14(UTC)
Boden31904

It's worrying that a lot of professionals on here don't know that a pre-action sprinkler system can be connected to smoke detectors (or heat sensors).

So 'the smoke won't kill you before the sprinklers go off''.

Roundtuit  
#36 Posted : 06 November 2018 19:42:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: Boden31904 Go to Quoted Post

It's worrying that a lot of professionals on here don't know that a pre-action sprinkler system can be connected to smoke detectors (or heat sensors).

Given the breadth of what is considered to be "in remit" of H&S unfortunately we can't all be experts in everything - one of the benefits of the forum is we can exchange ideas and knowledge - thank you for sharing this snippet of information
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/11/2018(UTC), Connor35037 on 07/11/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 07/11/2018(UTC), Connor35037 on 07/11/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#37 Posted : 06 November 2018 19:42:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given the breadth of what is considered to be "in remit" of H&S unfortunately we can't all be experts in everything - one of the benefits of the forum is we can exchange ideas and knowledge - thank you for sharing this snippet of information
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/11/2018(UTC), Connor35037 on 07/11/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 07/11/2018(UTC), Connor35037 on 07/11/2018(UTC)
Boden31904  
#38 Posted : 07 November 2018 08:11:14(UTC)
Boden31904

The simple solution to that then, is not to advise on something you know nothing about. There's another snippet.

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Edited by user 07 November 2018 10:55:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified