Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
James Gubbins  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2015 09:55:22(UTC)
James Gubbins

Hi, I am looking for advice with regards to where i can find a CD-ROM/video which would cover basic site hazards for a construction site, i.e. work at height, electricity, noise, manual handling, abrasive wheels and so on. My company is looking into setting up a universal induction for all its operations by using a CD-ROM with a introduction from our CEO and hoping to use already recorded site info (as mentioned above). This would be coupled with our company/site specific training to make a universal style induction for all employees. Of course we would still use site specific training relevant to the each site at the specific location. If someone has experience of this I would greatly appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance, James
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2015 15:10:30(UTC)
RayRapp

James The company inductions I have seen have generally been recorded by the company and not an outside agency, although I'm sure there are providers out there. I think there is a need to draw a distinction between an 'induction' and 'training'. An induction should be based on information and instruction to the working environment, procedures, etc - not training. Specific hazards such as 'work at height, electricity, noise, manual handling, abrasive wheels...' should be classified as training. Proper training to cover these subjects would take days/weeks, so why bother to try and cover all these in a 1-2 hour presentation? I do dislike inductions given the pretence of training - apologies but it's one of my pet hates. There are so many other good messages you can get across in a safety presentation, why waste the opportunity. Ray
Seabee81  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2015 15:41:31(UTC)
Seabee81

There are many companies who can produce an induction video for you, generally you have to provide your own content. It usually costs a few hundred quid These guys are good. I have used them in the past http://wovenfilms.co.uk/