Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JHF  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2015 11:42:29(UTC)
JHF

Hi, using a telehandler to raise and re-position machinery (use of chains etc), some are asking for a lift plant etc - surely this isn't needed? - its a "simple lift."
JohnW  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2015 12:07:02(UTC)
JohnW

Lift plant? You mean a lift plan ?? The LOLER regulations require a lift plan, it's the law. That way there are checks done to ensure the risks have been assessed and : - the equipment is suitable - the equipment is certified - the load can't fall off - the vehicle won't break the floor - operators and others have had training - during the lift people know where they should be - the route of the vehicle is clear, no obstructions - no unauthorised entry etc etc How long does a plan take to do? How long does an accident investigation take? How long does a crushed arm, leg or head take to recover?
JohnW  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2015 12:20:26(UTC)
JohnW

Or 'lift plant', you mean a proper crane? Ensure the equipment is suitable, stable, SWL etc and won't fall over if load hits an obstruction.
Angelo shanahan  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2015 12:30:56(UTC)
Angelo shanahan

Hi pal, I have a very simple lift plan you can have a copy of if you like that will address all of the above points. If you are using chains, these need to attached to a jib or lifting hook attachment to the forks. http://www.brandontoolhi...rk-truck-attachments.htm send me yur email address and I will send you a copy, I am a cpcs appointed person and supervisor amd to be honest these are the qualification you would need to complete a lift plan. Kind Regards Angelo
JHF  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2015 13:02:35(UTC)
JHF

Yes I should have indicated - lift PLAN; this telehandler is used most of the day, something similar to loading bricks / roofing tiles onto a loading bay (if construction related). Are you able to PM me? thanks.
JHF  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2015 14:03:31(UTC)
JHF

Just to clarify - we do have a detailed risk assessment covering the activity of the machine.
JohnW  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2015 14:13:13(UTC)
JohnW

JHF, good, hope the job is completed safely. But please think about what you said earlier, a 'simple lift'. It's not a simple lift when you want to use forks (designed for lifting pallets) to lift a heavy machine. As Angelo says, it can't be a case of just chains or slings, you need an attachment like a jib or hook that is physically clamped to the forks and additionally chained to the truck so that it won't fall/slide off. Those telehandlers have a fork-tilt facility, must ensure that doesn't happen during the lift as the vehicle will be de-stabilised. And must ensure the raised load doesn't snag on anything or collide, again that will de-stabilise everything.