Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Westwood666  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2015 08:52:44(UTC)
Westwood666

Morning all! I'm hoping to enquire with people who have been in a similar situation to myself for advice of how to advance myself. A little background on myself. I'm an ex military veteran, served in the RAF for 6 years and now Iv left although I am working f/t Iv identified H&S as the sector is like to work in. The responsibility and challenge interests me the most. Anyway Iv read through many of the posts already on the forums and have already done many of the things mentioned. I have used ELC from the military to book a NGC course in the new year, with the intention of using my ELC again in future to start the diploma, and also plan to join my local IOSH branch (leamington spa) in the new year with the hope of gaining some inside knowledge, advice and hopefully some work experience to put on my cv. Iv already joined many recruitment sites and looked at Shirley parsons to boost my future chances. Finally Iv also enquired with my current workplace about being a part of their H&s committee once I have the NGC under my belt. So that's where I am at the minute. Is their anything I'm missing that might boost my chances? How likely am I to get some work experience through networking at my local Iosh branch? At this stage would I be better served looking at h&s admin roles rather than straight into the deep end as an officer/consultant etc? Finally, I wanted to ask about whether my age would be an issue. I'm currently 28, 29 in May 16. I honestly didn't think I'd be in a position where I'd still be looking for my career at my age and sometimes worry it might be an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
petethomas1  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2015 09:23:49(UTC)
petethomas1

Good morning Westwood666, I changed career at 28 as well so don't worry it is possible. Health and safety is a massive industry and so my advice would be to find your niche and try to build upon your current skills. Not so much of a career change as building upon your current knowledge. I'm not sure what your military background and experience is but, for instance you could look and security and risk management, training, overseas H&S or management. Good luck with whichever way you choose. Pete
kmason83  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2015 09:36:43(UTC)
kmason83

Morning! I got into health and safety through a PAT technician role, I had had some testing experience in my role in theatre and arts and just worked up from there. Working my way up from the bottom has really helped my understanding of health and safety and I am by no means at the top yet but I have a good grounding. What you will find I think is that NGC teaches you the law and that is a good start and diploma goes on to develop your knowledge of the law but what you really need to know is how to apply it. That is where your experience from the ground up will kick in. I don't think you are missing anything and you certainly seem enthusiastic which will stand you in good stead when everyone rushes to you for advice as soon as you turn into the car park every morning :) I don't see why people shouldn't offer you a chance to come in and work with them I certainly would if I was close by. 28 is no age at all I know people in their 40's and 50's have changed career, so certainly don't worry about that! Very best of luck! :)
JohnW  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2015 10:06:41(UTC)
JohnW

Good morning Westwood666, 28 seems a good age to me; I became an H&S 'professional' at age 53 after 30 years in automotive/paint industry! But I am lucky being semi-retired now and work only 3 days a week for clients - I appreciate you will be seeking something more 'secure' in terms of ongoing employment. Anyone can attend local IOSH meetings, your local branch is the 'Midlands - East District' and meetings are held 2nd Thursday every month at Dunchurch Park Hotel and Conference Centre, located in a tricky little side road off Rugby Road, Dunchurch, CV22 6QW Those meetings are well attended, and you will (if you wish) be personally welcomed to the group to ensure all attendees know what you are looking for. The next meeting should be 14th January. John Wright (Coventry)
toffee wrapper  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2015 14:49:56(UTC)
toffee wrapper

Westwood. As Ex mil myself i understand your concerns. In no particular order here are my thoughts. Age is no barrier, dont let this be an issue. Start with a role as a H&S advisor. Do this whilst studying for diploma etc. Leave the option of H&S officer/consultant until a little later, once you have the quals and experience necessary. Branch meetings are useful but you are quite right not not rely on these for networking or for job hunting. Best way to get out there in the job hunting world is get a quality CV out to all the recruiting companies, and apply for as many jobs as you can. Even if you dont get the job, your CV is out there on someone's desk. You will be fine. toffee wrapper
corrinaevans  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2015 13:32:11(UTC)
corrinaevans

Hi Westwood, I recruited a 26 year old ex RAF fireman 7 months ago to join my team and have supported him through his qualifications and haven't regretted it for a second. Whilst I was originally looking for an experienced practitioner I could see the advantages to having someone from a military background with an eye for detail and a fantastic work ethic. Good luck, I am sure there are others out there that will see the advantages as I did. Corrina
Westwood666  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2018 14:45:21(UTC)
Westwood666

Very late in the day, but have been looking back through previous posts and realised I never said thanks for the advice given here.

Im happy to say I am now a full time employed H&S and management system consultant, and have nearly finished doing my NEBOSH Diploma. Many thanks to all who replied with encouragment and advice on this thread. It was and is appreciated.

thanks 1 user thanked Westwood666 for this useful post.
JohnW on 21/08/2018(UTC)