Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrBrightside  
#41 Posted : 03 August 2020 09:56:58(UTC)
MrBrightside

4 year old post, but as its Monday and i've had my red bull (sugar free mind, as thats so much better for me..) I will bite.

It's actually easier to reverse into a space than drive in plus your not then reversing into a vehicle and pedestrian movement area should you drive into the space. If we take into account shift work, when lots of people are leaving at the same time, reversing into that chaos never ends well.

Acorns  
#42 Posted : 03 August 2020 18:18:07(UTC)
Acorns

Yes its a 4 year old post.  Interesting that the issues still continue and as a forum of H&S folks, we still have problems!

I've always been an advocate of reverse parking, UNTIL, I was running some training sessions at a site which had reverse parking strictly applied up against a barrier.  My car now had a hatch that extends a bit, I now had to almost park, unload from the boot and carry the usual heavy box of papers between vehicles, carefully avoiding wing mirrors of course.  Then leaving my boxes in the roadway and revsering back into the space.  Reverse parking, in my humble biew, has become a mantra that is shouted but fails to trecognise the consequences if you need to move a heavy or awkward load to/from the vehicle.   Rather like reverse parkinh at the supermarket when their is no walkway at the rear of the vehicles.... how do you put your shopping away without the inevitable squeezing between 2 vehicles with heavy bags!

Perhaps its better that I park safely and incur a lifting injury than buck the trend!  

Edited by user 03 August 2020 18:19:23(UTC)  | Reason: text

GTD  
#43 Posted : 06 August 2020 05:41:34(UTC)
GTD

Originally Posted by: Victor Meldrew Go to Quoted Post
biker1 wrote:
Interesting that putting in place a simple measure that costs nothing but will significantly reduce the chance of being knocked over by two tons of metal is considered as 'trivia'. Makes me wonder how many people have to be actually killed for precautionary measures to be considered sensible.
Like you said Ray - I don't believe it....... So biker1.... your evidence that reverse parking "will significantly reduce the chance of being knocked over by two tons of metal"? I have an Audi Q5 4x4 & that is under two tons so that statement is somewhat exaggerated. Secondly your statistical evidence on people that have actually been killed for reverse parking to be worthwhile? At this rate we'll soon be having procedures for getting out of bed & wiping our backside - that's not to say there are certain circumstances & industries that require such, e.g. Care/Nursing homes.

interesting you can't see it, it almost appears common sense to me that reversing into a designated parking spot with no traffic moving or pedestrains  is much safer than reversing into oncoming traffic. 

like, outwith any statistical evidence although i suspect some O&G people on here will have evidence from their offices its absoutely common sense! Then again, common sense isn't so common... it appears. 

Roundtuit  
#44 Posted : 06 August 2020 22:19:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Driving an estate vehicle reverse parking is an unecessary hassle - too close to the wall/fence/bollard and you can't get to the cargo area where the PPE and laptop reside, too far forward and you block traffic.

Partially park, off-load, then fully park and after your visit is over pull forward, load the vehicle and drive off.

It smacks of the old education system where writing with your left hand got the ruler and detention.  Some drivers are comfortable driving in to a space whilst some prefer reversing - that is why the UK driving test uses BOTH options.

I NEVER reverse park when shopping as life experience (going to avoid "common sense") dictates that when I depart or return to load the vehicle it is easiest when the cargo area is presented rather than being at the rear.

In a work car park it is not real traffic, even at the end of the day or shift change you are not manouvering in to a flow equivalent of a main trunk road carriageway.

Roundtuit  
#45 Posted : 06 August 2020 22:19:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Driving an estate vehicle reverse parking is an unecessary hassle - too close to the wall/fence/bollard and you can't get to the cargo area where the PPE and laptop reside, too far forward and you block traffic.

Partially park, off-load, then fully park and after your visit is over pull forward, load the vehicle and drive off.

It smacks of the old education system where writing with your left hand got the ruler and detention.  Some drivers are comfortable driving in to a space whilst some prefer reversing - that is why the UK driving test uses BOTH options.

I NEVER reverse park when shopping as life experience (going to avoid "common sense") dictates that when I depart or return to load the vehicle it is easiest when the cargo area is presented rather than being at the rear.

In a work car park it is not real traffic, even at the end of the day or shift change you are not manouvering in to a flow equivalent of a main trunk road carriageway.

GTD  
#46 Posted : 07 August 2020 06:43:21(UTC)
GTD

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

just park in parent and child, they're bigger spaces :)