Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aiden  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2016 17:26:51(UTC)
aiden

Hi all,

I am starting next week in a new role as a HSE trainer. Whilst the companys presentations are of a good standard technically there is no interesting grab yoiur attention safety/environmental materials. I was wondering if any members had a good source of ice breakers, photos, video clips etc.that would be suitable.

I shall be doing Risk Assessment training , Introduction to Safety, Behavioural Safety, and Accident Investigation training amongst others.

Appreciate any guidence.

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2016 07:21:04(UTC)
RayRapp

Hi Aiden I have used a little ditty which has a tenuious link to risk assessment based on a probability factor. Ask your students to work out the following - two football teams on a pitch plus a referee and two assistant referees equalling 25 people, what is the probability/odds of any two of the 25 people having the same birth date (not year)? I would be very surprised if anyone calculates it correctly...the usual answer is 14.6/1 (365 divided by 25) which is incorrect of course. In fact, the answer is Evens or 50% if you prefer. Can't recall the exact percentage but it is about 50.2% to 49.8 in favour of two people having the same birth date. The moral of the story is that whilst we often weigh up probabilities based on our life experiences they are sometimes skewed by our own bias.
stonecold  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2016 07:54:08(UTC)
stonecold

The odds of someone having the same Bday as me is 50 per cent??? Im not a maths genius but i dont that that is correct at all. How can it be evens there are 365 potential birhdates. Its 1/365 which is about 0.30 per cent.
Alan Haynes  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2016 08:04:12(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Originally Posted by: stonecold Go to Quoted Post
The odds of someone having the same Bday as me is 50 per cent??? Im not a maths genius but i dont that that is correct at all. How can it be evens there are 365 potential birhdates. Its 1/365 which is about 0.30 per cent.

stonecold,

Look at;-      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

stonecold  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2016 08:11:40(UTC)
stonecold

From a maths forum.. We'll start by figuring out the probability that two people have the same birthday. The first person can have any birthday. That gives him 365 possible birthdays out of 365 days, so the probability of the first person having the "right" birthday is 365/365, or 100%. The chance that the second person has the same birthday is 1/365. To find the probability that both people have this birthday, we have to multiply their separate probabilities. (365/365) * (1/365) = 1/365, or about 0.27%.
RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2016 08:31:32(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: Alan Haynes Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: stonecold Go to Quoted Post

stonecold,

Look at;-      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Thanks Alan, for posting the Wiki link not seen that before. Hopefully it will kill off the doubters...
WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2016 09:37:00(UTC)
WatsonD

Stonecold, I think you are only looking at this from the point of one person with one birthday compared to 25 other people. Every person in the room is comparing their birthday with another 24 people and this happens 25 times So each person may have a 0.27% chance, but when you equate this chance over 25 times it increases your odds. Though I wouldn't want to have to explain this one in a room full of colleagues ;-(
stonecold  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2016 09:42:00(UTC)
stonecold

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post
Stonecold, I think you are only looking at this from the point of one person with one birthday compared to 25 other people. Every person in the room is comparing their birthday with another 24 people and this happens 25 times So each person may have a 0.27% chance, but when you equate this chance over 25 times it increases your odds. Though I wouldn't want to have to explain this one in a room full of colleagues ;-(

I never was any good at maths....:)

A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2016 10:20:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Great ice breaker except you must be really solid on the maths and be able to challenge any clever dick who disagrees with and then you will spend the first 10 to 15 minutes arguing the toss with them and everybody else will be asking themselves the question: “Have I come for a H&S course or a maths lesson?”

To get back on subject ask people them about things like risk perception. Example: “Air liner lands in the Hudson river-nobody dies or is seriously injured but it is front page news around the world-soon to be a film starring Tom Hanks! The train crash in which one person is killed at a level crossing makes the national pages. A person is killed crossing the road-it makes a couple of column inches in the local press. Why is that? Is air travelling more or less dangerous than driving? What is the general perception of people? What is the actual risk?  How much money is spent making flying safe per passenger mile as opposed to making driving safe? Why? “

This will get then to think about things like “Common Sense vs Risk Assessment”.

aiden  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2016 21:48:50(UTC)
aiden

Thank you for the suggestions.
KieranD  
#11 Posted : 03 October 2016 09:03:58(UTC)
KieranD

Aidan

Since you asked for 'source' material,  here are three titles from which you can draw and adapt exercises and obsrvations to your own needs:

'Creaive Events for Trainers',  K Jones, McGrawHill 1997

'Terrific Training Materials. High Impact Graphic Designs', D Frank.  HRD Press 1998

'The Trainer's Toolkit.  Bringing Brain-Fridently Learning to Life'.  K Hare and L Reynolds. Crown House Publishing, 2004.

thanks 1 user thanked KieranD for this useful post.
aiden on 06/10/2016(UTC)
damian2701  
#12 Posted : 03 October 2016 15:51:15(UTC)
damian2701

Do the same laws of arithmetic apply when you are born on February 29th? How about that for a curve ball!!
WatsonD  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2016 07:39:14(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: damian2701 Go to Quoted Post
Do the same laws of arithmetic apply when you are born on February 29th? How about that for a curve ball!!

Yes, as again this is not based solely on one person testing their birthday against 24 other people, but on each of 25 people measuring their birthdays each 24 times giving 600 possible combinations (25x24=600) and 366 different possible birthdays, including 29th February. This is what the Birthday problme is trying to do - remove perceptions.

We know that someone is less likely to have a birthday on 29th because they only come around once every four years, but all things being equal if we did this a number of times with different groups then there is also likely to be less instances of someone being in the group with that birthday so the odds level themselves out accordingly.

If the question was what is the possibility of someone in a group of 24 other people having the same birthday as me then it is massivley reduced (even more for 29th Feb) as we have only one set day to compare. But in the actual maths problem we have 25 different birthdays which we compare multiple times..

It is a complex problem to explain which is why I wouldn't present it to a roomfull.

fscott  
#14 Posted : 04 October 2016 08:57:42(UTC)
fscott

For your risk assessment training this might be a good ice breaker and there are various versions readily available on youtube - how can you risk assess when you can't see the obvious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

thanks 1 user thanked fscott for this useful post.
aiden on 06/10/2016(UTC)