Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madelinedobson  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2016 10:15:51(UTC)
madelinedobson

Hi,

I have only just joined IOSH after completing my NEBOSH in Construction back in March.  I have ended up in H&S and Construction due to spending 10 years working as a Company Secretary for a roofing company.  My husband and I were made redundant and at that time I set myself up with the HMRC as self-employed to offer support to small companies (eg CHAS set up, book-keeping and accounting, admin, Risk Assessments).  I also set up my husband’s Ltd company and have been running that for him as his employee. 

Could anyone give me some advice regarding the following:

1.  I would like to deliver H&S training and it seems that the appropriate qualification to go for is the AET Level 3.  I feel that a class based course for this would be best.
  2.  What level of PI would any members suggest as I have never needed this before?
  3. As I am self-employed, not a sole trader or Ltd company and will not be employing anyone, how much public liability would other members deem adequate?

Any advice from other experienced members (or newbies like me) would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

andrewcl  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2016 10:15:15(UTC)
andrewcl

Madeline, welcome to IOSH!

In all honesty I can only really advise on question 1 - There is a similar discussion on the IOSH matters forum.

When I started in training I was able to do a "train the trainer" course with the CIPD - it was one week long and very good indeed.  One of the most recognised training qualifications out there is PTTLLLS (Preparation To Teach for the Life-Long Learning Sector...).

There are a number of levels you can study this at - level 3 should be enough for a safety trainer - classroom based? Absolutely!

Apologies, but not so good with PI insurance - I failed as a Private Investigator! ;-)

Invictus  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2016 10:40:30(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: andrewcl Go to Quoted Post

In all honesty I can only really advise on question 1 - There is a similar discussion on the IOSH matters forum.

When I started in training I was able to do a "train the trainer" course with the CIPD - it was one week long and very good indeed.  One of the most recognised training qualifications out there is PTTLLLS (Preparation To Teach for the Life-Long Learning Sector...).

There are a number of levels you can study this at - level 3 should be enough for a safety trainer - classroom based? Absolutely!

Apologies, but not so good with PI insurance - I failed as a Private Investigator! ;-)

PTTLLLS is no longer available but can't remember the replacement for it.

westonphil  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2016 15:39:01(UTC)
westonphil

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: andrewcl Go to Quoted Post

PTTLLLS is no longer available but can't remember the replacement for it.

City and Guilds Level 3 Education and Training.

Regards

will hampson  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2016 22:40:25(UTC)
will hampson

Hi 

Madeline

i did the AET Level 3 course was not class room based thou i used the 

http://www.theteachertrainer.co.uk/

£270 cost to do it online.

i would recommend them the  tutor is helpful and emails back quick with advice when needed.

you complete assignments and have to also upload a class teaching video 15mins long example to Utube etc and send them the link to view and they mark it pass-fail . its a good course if you can't attend classroom due to work commitments etc.

hope that helps will

RayRapp  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2016 07:25:01(UTC)
RayRapp

Madeline With regards to questions 2. & 3. I think you need to discuss these matters with an insurance provider.
David Bannister  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:15:23(UTC)
David Bannister

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post
Madeline With regards to questions 2. & 3. I think you need to discuss these matters with an insurance provider.

There is an IOSH members insurance scheme and a discussion with that broker may prove useful. You will need to understand the level of risk that you are exposing yourself to: how much damage can you do to a client or any third party by what you are doing, or doing wrong, or failing to do? And be realistic.If you drop the proverbial spanner in the works, what is the realistic outcome and how much compensation would you be legally obliged to pay?

RayRapp  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:36:11(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: David Bannister Go to Quoted Post

There is an IOSH members insurance scheme and a discussion with that broker may prove useful. You will need to understand the level of risk that you are exposing yourself to: how much damage can you do to a client or any third party by what you are doing, or doing wrong, or failing to do? And be realistic.If you drop the proverbial spanner in the works, what is the realistic outcome and how much compensation would you be legally obliged to pay?

In reality the risk is miniscule. The only issue I can think of terms of PLI is that some organisations require contractors to have x amount. However and assuming you are working on behalf of a large outfit it is the one with the biggest pocket that gets a claim against them, not Joe Bloggs, so the PLI amount is really superfluous.
David Bannister  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2016 09:11:39(UTC)
David Bannister

In reality the risk is miniscule. The only issue I can think of terms of PLI is that some organisations require contractors to have x amount. However and assuming you are working on behalf of a large outfit it is the one with the biggest pocket that gets a claim against them, not Joe Bloggs, so the PLI amount is really superfluous.

I agree. However, in the dim & distant past in my career as an insurance surveyor I managed to fill up a Triumph Spitfire with sprinkler water from the 3" drain when the MD of a client was parked adjacent. My employers at that time picked up the bill. Had I been self-employed the clean-up cost woudl have hit me very hard. As it was it was put down as an error that was made by an inexperienced youngster. I have never repeated that same error and the ones since that time have all been less costly!

Zyggy  
#10 Posted : 24 October 2016 13:06:09(UTC)
Zyggy

Madeline, the previous advice re talking to a Broker is sound; I personally use Hiscox for both PI & PL Insurances at a level of £1million for both & I have never had a problem yet with my clients in accepting this amount, but as Ray rightly points out, some may stipulate a minimum cover.

As for the training qualifications, well this has been discussed at length before on this site & I for one have never held any such qualification & have tought on both the NEBOSH Certificate/Diploma courses, & recently on two H&S related degree courses!

Please don't get me wrong, I think you are right in pursuing this, but I still feel (well I would, wouldn't I!) that it's not the main element in being an effective lecturor/tutor.

Before anybody asks, my sessions seemed to be well received & results were always higher than the national average.

RayRapp  
#11 Posted : 24 October 2016 13:47:18(UTC)
RayRapp

Good point by Zyggy, you don't need a training qualification to deliver h&s courses...but, if doing it externally you may well be asked to provide some form of training qualification.
Bigmac1  
#12 Posted : 24 October 2016 14:44:33(UTC)
Bigmac1

What I would be asking myself is " Is having the NEBOSH Construction Cert and no experience in Health and Safety make me competent to deliver H&S training?"

In my opinion most certainly not!! IOSH certainly will not let you deliver any of thier working or managing safely courses

A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 24 October 2016 15:15:53(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Some people just have a knack for training and are good at it with no specific training required. Others seem think they are good at training and have no idea of just how rubbish they really are. (I know I have been there) The advantage of this sort of   train the trainer, training is that you get someone else to assess you and tell you if you are any good and what you can do to improve your training. If you intending to do a lot of training I would say it is vital to get that assessment.

RayRapp  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2016 18:32:02(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: Bigmac1 Go to Quoted Post

What I would be asking myself is " Is having the NEBOSH Construction Cert and no experience in Health and Safety make me competent to deliver H&S training?"

In my opinion most certainly not!! IOSH certainly will not let you deliver any of thier working or managing safely courses

No, nor will a number of other providers of training courses, such as CIEH. However that is little to do with training competency, rather, brand ownership, revenue stream, etc. 

I have delivered many training course both in-house and external but do not have any training qualifications - yet.

Invictus  
#15 Posted : 25 October 2016 06:51:17(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: will hampson Go to Quoted Post

Hi 

Madeline

i would recommend them the  tutor is helpful and emails back quick with advice when needed.

you complete assignments and have to also upload a class teaching video 15mins long example to Utube etc and send them the link to view and they mark it pass-fail . its a good course if you can't attend classroom due to work commitments etc.

hope that helps will

Not really sure how e-learning for becoming a trainer would work, the idea is that you put into  practice the stuff you have learnt. This is normally the last day when you have to  produce and present your presentation on a chosen subject.

Who would you do this idf after paying out that you didn't pocess the confidence or knowledge in the subject that you didn't think it was for you.

WatsonD  
#16 Posted : 25 October 2016 07:17:00(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: will hampson Go to Quoted Post

Hi 

Madeline

hope that helps will

Not really sure how e-learning for becoming a trainer would work, the idea is that you put into  practice the stuff you have learnt. This is normally the last day when you have to  produce and present your presentation on a chosen subject.

Who would you do this idf after paying out that you didn't pocess the confidence or knowledge in the subject that you didn't think it was for you.

I agree with Invictus regarding the e-learning. I have done both classroom and e-learning training (I also did a correspondence course before e-learning was available).

However, I do find it hard to get my head around the idea of doing a teaching course online. Whilst some people may have a natural gift for teaching, as some do for art for example, it is still important to gain better technical knowledge. And if you are going to be a good teacher then you need to spend time in a classroom. Evaluate the teachers on the course and the other students. See the new advances in technology (interactive whiteboards, etc) and how they can be utilised.

Others may dispute this, but the whole idea of learning how to run a classroom whilst avoiding being in a classroom, for me, seems to be missing the fundamental point of the training.

Also, our own perception of how well we did may not be the same as the students (the lesson went great no interuptions and I talked at length about, blah blah - yes, you bored the whole class and no-one wanted to ask any questions because you didn't engage with them), and having working in training for many years I can tell you feedback forms aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Edited by user 01 February 2017 13:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar

Invictus  
#17 Posted : 25 October 2016 07:29:37(UTC)
Invictus

WatsonD, just re read my post and how you made any sense out of it is beyond me. If it was in a classroom I am quite sure in red pen would be 'must pay more attention when writing'.

bob youel  
#18 Posted : 25 October 2016 07:38:02(UTC)
bob youel

Welcome and I wish you the best of luck

During the construction course you should have come across the term 'competence' and the case law connected with the term and my thoughts are that at this time U need to get more indepth and higher level training and experience before U could be deemed competent in H&S; mainly because unlike other jobs e.g. bookeeper, accountant etc. the personal reprocussions of being less than competent with regards to H&S are very real and dramatic and H&S is the one and only occupation that I am aware of that where individuals have been fined by a court for being deemed less than competent even where no accident occured unlike other jobs/professions (or trainers)

Some academicially trained trainers etc. cannot train to save their lives and v versa  therefore its up to U which way you go but I would ask if i was being trained does the trainer know the science behind the act of presenting training and in many many many cases they do not (Z being an acception to the rule because of his background and previous knowledge etc.) so ask; would U want to be trained by somebody who has no academic training? And if H&S training is not correct the H&S trainer can easily be in the firing line unlike the trainer for bookeeping or other areas

Invictus  
#19 Posted : 25 October 2016 09:25:20(UTC)
Invictus

'Some academicially trained trainers etc. cannot train to save their lives' i believe that, that is only an assumption because I have never been in classroom  based training when the trainer has told the group that he has completed his training, in training one way or another, they will tell you about thier backgrounds and it might come on then, unless they tell you that they have lectured in one subject or other.

I have trained for years and never once told anyone that I had never had any formal training in training, even when I was forced to have a PTTLLLS I still didn't share this because it's not neccessay.

However I do agree with you there are some very poor trainers out there who have perhaps had teacher training etc. I know of a couple who I find difficult to sit with normally let alone in a classroom and have had people say 'i'm not attending that course because of the trainer. So although now it is required to have some sort of teaching qualification, it is as important to practice, presentation, games, practical sessions and also know your subject, there is no reflection on trainers if they say once or twice I am not sure I will  find out but if they keep saying it or isn't giving crrect info. that's a problem.

madelinedobson  
#20 Posted : 01 February 2017 11:47:34(UTC)
madelinedobson

Thanks for the warm welcome and thank you to everyone who has responded to my questions.  I value and appreciate all the points raised and will consider them all carefully.

This post is really to cover / respond to some points raised.

I neglected to emphasise my knowledge of the law from growing up in a fourth generation legal family and from studies so I take responsibility and negligence extremely seriously. I have previous teaching experience from age 16 - 47 in different ways and for different reasons which has been very well received.  My intention is to provide support for smaller individuals who struggle to financially achieve what they require to work in their respective fields as experienced (veteran) tradesmen and craftsmen who are the very individuals who can teach us so much!

I fear my posting did not illustrate my level of involvement with actual sites and experience so I appreciate wholly the matter of experience being hugely important in terms of giving H&S advice! I would not dream of delivering training in a subject about which I was not knowledgable or have had physical exposure to and experience in.  Life is an endless lesson and there is always something about which we know nothing.

Classroom based studies for me is the only way.  I have met many trainers without formal qualification who are excellent and would not dream of suggesting they are any less capable than those formally trained. Sadly though, nowadays many clients need to prove they have received accredited training.  I have much respect for those trained formally and those not.

Once again - thanks for all the feedback!