Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamesangus47  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2016 10:20:25(UTC)
jamesangus47

Do we really need to ask people their gender on accident forms? 

Is this information relevant? - What do we think?

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:02:49(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: jamesangus47 Go to Quoted Post

Do we really need to ask people their gender on accident forms? 

Is this information relevant? - What do we think?

Probably not unless it is maternity related - is it an issue?
IanDakin  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:05:24(UTC)
IanDakin

You may wish to check accident rates and types by gender.

Although, I don't

Hally  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:12:17(UTC)
Hally

It appears within a RIDDOR form along with age etc
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:39:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many years ago the DSS decided it was a requirement on their BI 510 form and as all report templates since have followed that general layout...

Given some of the names parents choose to burden their off-spring with it can be difficult to identify gender from the name on an historic report (Johhny Cash "a boy named Sue", Brooklyn, Paris, Free, Memphis, Rowan...) and that is before you get in to the vast array of unfamiliar names and orientation (given - family, family - given) from a globaly originating workforce.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2016 12:39:39(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many years ago the DSS decided it was a requirement on their BI 510 form and as all report templates since have followed that general layout...

Given some of the names parents choose to burden their off-spring with it can be difficult to identify gender from the name on an historic report (Johhny Cash "a boy named Sue", Brooklyn, Paris, Free, Memphis, Rowan...) and that is before you get in to the vast array of unfamiliar names and orientation (given - family, family - given) from a globaly originating workforce.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2016 13:42:01(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think you should differentiate in you reporting system
between male and female, given that in most (I stand to be corrected) places
the impact of an accident might well be different for a female employee and a
male employee. If you are convinced that there is no difference between the
sexes and it does not matter whether the injured party is male or female and
that nobody in however years’ time will ask for a comparison of accident stats between the sexes then don’t include it.

Ignore what the RIDDOR form says: it’s just what the HSE might be interested in not what is relevant to your business.

kmason83  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2016 08:11:37(UTC)
kmason83

My previous organisation decided to throw religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation on the form too. I protested heavily as did my first aiders but because my weak was suck up manager did not want to go to the directors and say this data capture is not appropriate I was forced to leave it on there. Many forms came back with lots of information missing even some vital stuff for accident investigation and/or reporting. Bloody nightmare!
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2016 09:16:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: kmason83 Go to Quoted Post
My previous organisation decided to throw religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation on the form too. I protested heavily as did my first aiders but because my weak was suck up manager did not want to go to the directors and say this data capture is not appropriate I was forced to leave it on there. Many forms came back with lots of information missing even some vital stuff for accident investigation and/or reporting. Bloody nightmare!

This sort of information is close to breaching the requirements
of the Data Protection Act, which essentially requires that any personal information
collected is done so for a relevant reason. I cannot see how religion and sexual
orientation is relevant while investigating an accident. What happens to the
records thus created; who reads them? I can image a scenario where an accident
is being discussed in H&S committee and private details about an individual emerge.

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2016 12:48:49(UTC)
peter gotch

I share A Kurdziel's sentiment, but RIDDOR empowers HSE to decide on approved method of reporting. HSE has approved an F2508 that requires sex to be reported.

If you report offline you could leave box unchecked and I think very unlikely that HSE would do much about it.

I haven't checked but I imagine that if leave box unchecked on the online report form, system will prevent you going to the next page.

gerrysharpe  
#11 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:09:58(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Years ago this used to be a no brainer, with only 2 to chose from, nowadays people can now select a "custom" gender option.

Recently ABC news came up with 58 Gender Options 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users/

Ha Ha

kmason83  
#12 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:28:36(UTC)
kmason83

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

This sort of information is close to breaching the requirementsof the Data Protection Act, which essentially requires that any personal information collected is done so for a relevant reason. I cannot see how religion and sexual orientation is relevant while investigating an accident. What happens to the records thus created; who reads them? I can image a scenario where an accident is being discussed in H&S committee and private details about an individual emerge.

Yeah I know it all too well my other half works in governance, the forms were stored in a filing cabinet in my office the data input into a database which I created reports from ommiting any personal details and my accident reports for meetings and the annual report had only relevant details. My boss did not come to the meetings they were mine as was the database and how the info was used. The whole thing came from a hairbrained idea from a director without a clue who my boss was too kiss ass to explain to that this was a stupid, b irrelivant and c borderline illegal.  When the regs were updated in 2013 I tok the oppertunity to remove all of that rubbish and stood fast on the legislation to make sure only relevnt data was collected. it takes these experiances soemtimes to give you the confidence to stand up to thsoe in charge when they are very wrong.

kmason83  
#13 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:31:00(UTC)
kmason83

I don't know why that all is in a quote bubble I must have pressed something wrong but the bottom paragraph is not quoted

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:41:01(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am assuming that the original question was about an
internal accident form rather than a report under RIDDOR. My man beef about
that was trying to get the injured person’s home phone number and address from HR who always said, is this not breach of data protection .

The accident reporting form/book supplied by the HSE is
nothing to do with H&S as such. It is to do with Social security legislation.
Essentially if a person is off work after at workplace accident and claiming
sickness benefit the Job Centre needs to know if they have actually had an accident at work.

Spacedinvader  
#15 Posted : 19 October 2016 13:45:36(UTC)
Spacedinvader

Originally Posted by: kmason83 Go to Quoted Post

I don't know why that all is in a quote bubble I must have pressed something wrong but the bottom paragraph is not quoted

You need to put your response after the end quote ( [  /  quote  ] )

jamesangus47  
#16 Posted : 19 October 2016 14:02:33(UTC)
jamesangus47

Yes it is for an internal accident form, thus we hold the data on the HR system and this could be drawn upon should we need to complete F2508. Personally I do not think that gender is relevant in terms of accident outcomes/investigation and where it is a factor/consideration then this would be noted as part of the investigation process.

Gavin Gibson  
#17 Posted : 19 October 2016 20:52:28(UTC)
Gavin Gibson

Aside from statutory F2508 requirements, I have yet to see any reason why the parties needs to be included, aside from pregnant / maternity issues.  

johnmurray  
#18 Posted : 23 October 2016 13:24:43(UTC)
johnmurray

And what would be done if they wrote: "Transexual" or "Transgender" ?

This is the 21st century. Gender is no longer Male/Female.

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/user-centred-design/resources/patterns/gender-and-sex.html

And exactly what are you going to do if "Trans" appears?

gerrysharpe  
#19 Posted : 23 October 2016 19:10:42(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Originally Posted by: johnmurray Go to Quoted Post

As in transformers??

Invictus  
#20 Posted : 24 October 2016 08:02:07(UTC)
Invictus

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/user-centred-design/resources/patterns/gender-and-sex.html

That must be me I'm a Male who feels like a Female.

A Kurdziel  
#21 Posted : 24 October 2016 10:47:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post

That must be me I'm a Male who feels like a Female.

This is about gender identity, which looks at what the current identity is as compared to that that matches they were   assigned at birth. Trans- is different, while cis- is the same.

Neither as a place on an accident form.

jamesangus47  
#22 Posted : 25 October 2016 14:22:09(UTC)
jamesangus47

I have decided that this information is not relevant to the completion of the  accident form - however, should the investigation highlight an issue which is gender specific then the informmation would come to light then....