Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hardy41061  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2017 09:51:44(UTC)
Hardy41061

I returned 3 days a week to my H&S position after maternity leave. I was then made redundant after 6 weeks back. I am volunteering at Oxfam doing some H&S audits but I am struggling to find part time and contract  positions. I am restricted on my days due to childcare arrangements. I am diploma level qualified and have over 10 years experience in consultancy, facilities and construction. I am registered with numberous agencies but alot of the positions are full time.  Does anyone have any advice or know of any opportunites in the Bournemouth Southampton, Salisbury  area? Should I do something else?

Edited by user 16 January 2017 10:00:15(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

hilary  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2017 09:07:32(UTC)
hilary

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.  It is very difficult when working part time to find a "good" job.  There's lots of not so good jobs that suit the hours you want but if you are a professional then it is a lot more troublesome.  I only speak from experience, I am part time as well and I know if anything happened to my job I would either have to go full time or change tracks completely.

Have you considered a job for a couple of days a week and keep a day for consultancy work - keep your hand in and gradually build up a portfolio of happy customers?  Obviously you will need insurances, etc, but hopefully after not too long you would be in a position to give up the part time job and go it alone as a consultant.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
Hardy41061 on 18/01/2017(UTC)
gerrysharpe  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2017 10:46:11(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Why don't you get some leaflets made up and deliver to the local industrial / Commercial Estates overing your services.  Every Builders and small construction companies are often on the look out for someone part time as they can't necessarily affort to keep someone on full time.

I helped a friend like this once before and he had phones calls the same day.  You can get some professionally made leaflets from Vista print or have a look online, and target industrial/Commercial users

Good luck

thanks 1 user thanked gerrysharpe for this useful post.
Hardy41061 on 18/01/2017(UTC)
Tobin26388  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2017 12:17:44(UTC)
Tobin26388

Also consider public sector organisations such as the NHS, local and county councils, police etc.  Public sector organisations are often more open to part-time working arrangements as they appreciate the longer-term retention of staff who are locally grounded, e.g. due to family committments and are much less predudiced against part-time employees.  Good luck.

Zyggy  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2017 15:28:43(UTC)
Zyggy

Some good advice from other posters!

From what you say, the consultancy role may be the ideal path to take as most Public organisations are looking to cut staff rather than recruit!

The leaflets are a good idea, but when I started out as a consultant nearly five years ago I invested in business cards which are more likely to be kept for future reference.

Once armed with these pay a visit to any local H&S Groups & liberally give them out...don't be bashful!

I have also found my "niche" & virtually all my work has come from word of mouth.

Good luck with whatever road you take.