Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lishka0  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2017 12:52:46(UTC)
Lishka0

We currently have a hot works ban in place for roofing works in favour of the self adhesive method. However, we have been experiencing issues with a contractor needing to dry areas with a torch (hot works!) in order to help the adhesive stick.  

We have tried to look at alternatives e.g. roofing works only done in drier weather but this isnt always operationally practical. Does anyone have any recomendations on roofing products which will bond to substrate which may be damp or wet and do not require hot works, or any other drying method which may help?  Or....is the only option special dispensation for this and a permit in place?

Edited by user 17 February 2017 12:53:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chris42  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2017 15:53:14(UTC)
chris42

Are you looking for a product to stick felt down onto a damp surface or are you looking for a product to go onto damp felt / concrete which will be the finish?

You can get an acrylic paint that can be applied onto damp surfaces, which have fibres in it. But cannot be used as a glue. Also no walking on it after. Available builders merchants or a well-known DIY / tool store and probably other places.

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC)
Striker84  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2017 23:12:27(UTC)
Striker84

Although I appreciate that you have eliminated the hazard of hot works, has there been an incident, serious financial saving other environmental factors resulting in this? I work with roofers that are carrying out the traditional method of blow torch and they have never had an issue to warrant a ban. All hot works is completed well within an hour of finishing work and the benefits/ability to heat and "dry or push" wet areas is available. I understand potential ergonomics of manual handling and additional fire risks but have never had an issue personally. I am interested in the method that you use and also interested In the methods that Chris has previously mentioned so will be research bing into these products. Regards
thanks 1 user thanked Striker84 for this useful post.
Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC)
paul.skyrme  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2017 12:11:42(UTC)
paul.skyrme

The fibre acrylic paint is designed for emergency repairs, and it does work, I've used it on my flat roof at home, in the rain.

Glad that H&S rules don't apply to DIY, but needs must... ;)

It is not really a long term solution after talking to the roofers I know, one trade brand you can look for is Acrypol.

If you have felt flat roofs, and you want to get rid of them then look to glass fibre, but, with the ususal caveats of getting a competent contractor and not just in the H&S sense, there are a lot of bitumen roofers who have converted, and not very well from what I gather.

Unless you have a serious issue with hot works, or your insurers have banned it for you, why can''t you simply do it safely, H&S is not about banning things, it's about doing things in a safe manner.

Hot works can be done safely, and are done safely every day throught the world.

Yes accidents happen, and they are in the minority, and can probably have their root cause reasonably well identified, probably a procedural issue.

Just do the hot works right and it should not be an issue.  Remember hot works are done on COMAH petrochemical sites, safely, so there is no reason that they can't be done safely elsewhere with the right processes, procedures and people with the right competencies.

thanks 3 users thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 19/02/2017(UTC), Striker84 on 19/02/2017(UTC), Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2017 20:21:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

The thing is to have proper controls over the contractors and sub-contractors otherwise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-38694204

Other items identify they were installing fibreglass roofing, it had rained and they were "drying" the plywood all without the clients knowledge.

In other items the cowboy even had to be rescued from the roof by the club staff.

How does it go "fail to prepare... prepare to fail"

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC), Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2017 20:21:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

The thing is to have proper controls over the contractors and sub-contractors otherwise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-38694204

Other items identify they were installing fibreglass roofing, it had rained and they were "drying" the plywood all without the clients knowledge.

In other items the cowboy even had to be rescued from the roof by the club staff.

How does it go "fail to prepare... prepare to fail"

Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC), Lishka0 on 25/02/2017(UTC)
Lishka0  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2017 13:23:19(UTC)
Lishka0

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes we have had an incident with a roof catching fire hence the hot works ban. Thankfully no one was hurt at the time, however the structural damage and stress for the residents because of this influenced the decision I think. Seems it was some packing, or other combustables that may have caught within the roof and smouldered away.  All RAMS, training and permit in place yet this still happened and we couldn't take the risk of if happening again hence the ban. Maybe a knee jerk reaction in risk management but we have to accept the decision at present.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 27 February 2017 13:32:14(UTC)
chris42

Could you use something like a hot air gun for smaller areas ?

Still hot, but not quite the same as a gas torch ( also not as quick)

hannahbilson  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2017 12:29:24(UTC)
hannahbilson

Unlike the installation processes of felt, asphalt and bitumen membranes, liquid roofing does not involve hot works. Hot work on roofs is an extremely high risk process, that poses a significant fire risk to contractors as well as the building and its occupants. I think it well enough helpful.

RayRapp  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2017 12:39:33(UTC)
RayRapp

I agree with paul.skyrme, just because you had one incident with hot works that in itself is not a good reason for a blanket ban, rather to learn lessons for the future. A HWP should mitigate the risks if those who carry out the work are skilled and properly supervised.

If you required lead work for example, then it will be necessary to carry out hot works. What will you do then?

Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 25 June 2021 16:44:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported for breaching forum advertising rules

Alan Haynes on 25/06/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 25/06/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2021 16:44:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported for breaching forum advertising rules

Alan Haynes on 25/06/2021(UTC), Alan Haynes on 25/06/2021(UTC)
firesafety101  
#13 Posted : 28 June 2021 09:59:33(UTC)
firesafety101

Firstly I am not a Roofer.  Secondly I am a little bit scared of heights now since leaving the fire service. Yes that is true.

However I do have plentiful experience of working with contractors and hot works on roofs.  

I agree with Paul when he talks about the need for banning hot works at height because there are many ways that can be done safely and without causing fire damage to property.

The Permit is the key and must be issued by a person with the right knowledge, training and experience.  They must be in attendance when the permit is issued and carry out a thourough check of the area prior to issue. The competence of operators is essential as is the potential for fire spread.

I did more than ten years H&S Manager with a shopfitting company and at the start we had a few fires but then none at all because of my hot work permit procedure.

A local hospital experienced a roof fire that spread and in attendance were five fire engines.  My boss told the hospital works manager the fire wouldn't have happened had given our company the work.  When asked why not he replied "because we have Chris Burns" ha ha