Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SamJen1973  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2017 15:33:45(UTC)
SamJen1973

Hi

We currently pay our first aiders an annual £150 responsibility payment.  I want to review this as we are looking to appoint Mental Health First Aiders and I think we need to be fair and consistent in our approach to both types of first aider.  My personal view is that we should not continue with this payment as we are providing first aiders with a valuable life skill that they can take with them if/when they leave the company, and we don't provide a smilar payment to employees who take on other safety roles (eg fire marshals). 

I'm looking to benchmark against what other organisations do, so I would appreciate if you could let me know

- Do you pay a responsibility allownace to first aiders?

- If you have Mental Health First Aiders, do you pay a responsibility allowance to them?

- Do you operate in the  Private / Public / Third sector ?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sam

Edited by user 27 March 2017 15:35:03(UTC)  | Reason: adding name to end of message

Adams29600  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2017 15:46:27(UTC)
Adams29600

To answer the questions:

1. No

2. No

3. Private

Having said that, you already have a payment system. Taking something away is always difficult and you may find yourselves short of volunteers.

I also think that "Mental Health" fuirst aid would require quite a high degree of training? Unless I have misunderstood the meaning of course.

Bazzer  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2017 15:59:13(UTC)
Bazzer

1. Yes

2. N/A

3. Private

I have always considered the payment as a thank you for the first aiders to offer their service and take responsibility in an accident to tend to the injured. My clients pay it 1/2 yearly.

As previously said, take it away and you may not get volunteers; Also I found it anabled us to select the best people, who wanted to do it.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2017 16:00:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

As mentioned dangerous path to remove tokens such as you have described as a "responsibility payment".

Private sector new FD cancelled the annual payments and the backlash was having to source and train ten replacements as all incumbents were unhappy at losing their £100 FAAW and £100 Fire Marshal money just before Christmas. Some people unfortunately know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Also be careful if your staff are unionised as normally such payments would have been set in agreement with the union.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Striker84 on 27/03/2017(UTC), Striker84 on 27/03/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2017 16:00:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

As mentioned dangerous path to remove tokens such as you have described as a "responsibility payment".

Private sector new FD cancelled the annual payments and the backlash was having to source and train ten replacements as all incumbents were unhappy at losing their £100 FAAW and £100 Fire Marshal money just before Christmas. Some people unfortunately know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Also be careful if your staff are unionised as normally such payments would have been set in agreement with the union.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Striker84 on 27/03/2017(UTC), Striker84 on 27/03/2017(UTC)
rick448  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2017 08:04:30(UTC)
rick448

1. No

2. N/A

3. Private

As stated above, I think you will struggle to try and remove a payment which is already in place for existing First Aiders, and no doubt you will not be inundated with volunteers should you want to replace these with unpaid staff in the future.

WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2017 08:21:21(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Some people unfortunately know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Excellent. I think I might get that quote put on a t-shirt.

Oh and...

1. No

2. N/A

3. Private

Agree with previous posters regarding taking the money away. That valuable 'life skill' has a very limited shelf life.

Snwdrp84  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2017 09:57:14(UTC)
Snwdrp84

1.  Yes

2.  N/A

3.  Private

Our payments are decided by each location, having looked into it some were paid and some not, these  may be sat across a table from each other, they were also on differing amounts.  Some are aware others are paid and it did not go down well! I wish we were not paying any of them, and it was a purely volentary role.

UncleFester  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2017 10:49:59(UTC)
UncleFester

1. No.

2. N/A

3. Private

At least that's the situation with my current client. The £150 payment you mention is coincidentally the same figure that i've seen at two clients in the past - I now wonder where that figure orginated!

It's never easy taking something away - please let us know your final decsion.

MikeKelly  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2017 11:59:00(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi Sam

Yes, pay the responsibility payment to all people carrrying out these roles-you might even increase the amounts given that many unions [and TUC] have concluded that the 'average' worker gives up to £4000 a year in unpaid overtime anyway.

You can also compare the amounts paid to the senior management/directors with their LTIP/bonuses, allowances and would not appear to consider working unless rewarded for all their activities however peripheral they might be!

Rant over [not really]

Regards

Mike 

SamJen1973  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2017 12:40:56(UTC)
SamJen1973

Hi

Thanks for your responses so far.   I agree it could be difficult to remove the £150 we pay to existing first aiders and to be fair it's looking unlikely that we will do.  But I think you either pay everyone or pay no one, so we need to explore both options, including whether we could introduce some other means of thanks/recognition for people taking on additional roles.  

In this particular organisation there are also some assertions that first aiders aren't making themselves available to respond to calls for assistance (ie not answering the "hunt" telephone call and assuming another first aider will respond).  This leads me to wonder if the fact there is a monetary amount associated with the role means people volunteer to get a bit extra cash and a few days out the office training but with no interest in actually doing the role.  If we removed the payment and introduced some other means of recognition then we may get volunteers who actually want to do the role.  All the existing first aiders have been in place since before I came on board (relatively recently) without any formal process/procedure in place for recruiting, which is something I will be addressing. 

Sam

Matt34  
#12 Posted : 28 March 2017 13:07:06(UTC)
Matt34

Could you look for volunteers from your existing First Aid Responder pool and top up their thank you payment another £50?

Yes
No
Private

I also had a Financial Manager take the payment away and had all but 2 First Aid Responders quit and no-one would volunteer to become First Aid Reponders.  Funnily enough the payment got re-instated when i suggested we may have to send everyone home. ;-)

jwk  
#13 Posted : 28 March 2017 14:45:50(UTC)
jwk

Well, this is a bit different for us because 1st Aid is one of our core activities, as is 1st Aid training. We also have in house psycho-social support, so:

1 No

2 No

3 Voluntary sector,

John

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 28 March 2017 14:54:20(UTC)
A Kurdziel

No

Yes (sort of )

Public

I am still feeling my way around the current job but in the previous one we did not pay our first aiders but we generally got a good response when there was an emergency. What held people back was not any issues with the first aiders themselves but with their managers complaining that they were spending too much time away from their “proper job”.

simon73  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2017 12:24:34(UTC)
simon73

1. Yes

2. Yes

3.Public

Only fair IMHO

Bigmac1  
#16 Posted : 06 April 2017 19:56:28(UTC)
Bigmac1

No

No

Private

But try and take it off your guys and duck lol

RobFitzmaurice  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2017 11:49:12(UTC)
RobFitzmaurice

1. Yes

2. N/A

3. Private sector.

I was coerced into becoming a First Aider several years ago - The payment was £30 per month! I still didn't want to do it, though... I only chose to do it because we needed an additional First Aider and nobody else would step up.

I agree with the others who have said that the removal of a payment would be a bad thing. It might only be £100 a year or so, but the "life skill" of First Aid is no more of a perk than being trained as a Fire Marshal. Some people will readily take on these skills and responsibilities, but many won't. I worked for one company who struggled to get First Aiders simply because there was no incentive other than the "life skills" element.