Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benek84  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2017 19:34:48(UTC)
benek84

I ve done FRA in my workplace and just considering if do I need the emergency escape portable ladder for first floor... On the first floor we have boardroom , 3 offices and 2 toilets. All officces have fire door. Max distance to only one exit is about 10m ...we evacuate in 3 min, fire station is literally 2min away. Number of people on first floor is 4 plus meetings in boardroom so could be up to 8. What do you recommend? Thank you
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2017 19:45:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Recommendations are for the assessor - if you aren't confident in what you are doing don't put other peoples lives at risk - get a professional in.

And don't count on the local station being 2 minutes away - we are in the next street to our local station but when we had need to call out there was a 15 minute wait as the local tender was across town as part of a major incident

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 30/03/2017(UTC), jwk on 30/03/2017(UTC), jodieclark1510 on 30/03/2017(UTC), jwk on 30/03/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2017 19:45:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Recommendations are for the assessor - if you aren't confident in what you are doing don't put other peoples lives at risk - get a professional in.

And don't count on the local station being 2 minutes away - we are in the next street to our local station but when we had need to call out there was a 15 minute wait as the local tender was across town as part of a major incident

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
jodieclark1510 on 30/03/2017(UTC), jwk on 30/03/2017(UTC), jodieclark1510 on 30/03/2017(UTC), jwk on 30/03/2017(UTC)
rickstefanetti84  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2017 07:19:34(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

Fully agree with Roundtuit! You cant always guarantee the fire appliance at the local station is going to be available, it could be on a call elsewhere.

With regards to the ladder, it doesnt sound like a suitable means of exit to me (but i could be wrong). How would a wheelchair bound person or person with limited mobillity be able to use it? do you have a picture of the ladder that you could share?

rickstefanetti84  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2017 07:23:13(UTC)
rickstefanetti84

you may find these guidance documents helpful...

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/

WatsonD  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2017 07:46:35(UTC)
WatsonD

Hi benek84

In a direct answer to your question 10 m does not seem too far:

If there is only one escape route, the travel distance should not normally be more than 18 metres. This distance should be shorter (12 metres or less) in any parts of the premises where there is a high chance of a fire starting or spreading quickly. The distance can be longer (up to about 25 metres) where the chance of a fire starting or spreading quickly is very low.

(From https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/14879/making-your-premises-safe-short-guide.pdf )

However, as others have stated there are further factors to consider, like disabled employees and whether those on the first floor would be aware of a fire i.e. fire alarm, etc. I doubt the portable ladder would be a good answer - by the time this was set-up the office could be evacuated.

P.S. I'm also sure that your could get that 3minutes down with a bit of drilling

Bazzer  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2017 13:26:54(UTC)
Bazzer

Is it 10m to the final exit or 10m to the exit onto the stairs; is the staircase a protected area. Are smoke detectors and a fire alarm system installed

benek84  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2017 19:44:14(UTC)
benek84

10m to stairwy exit another 10m to final exit..fire detectors, fire extinguishers, 2 fire marshalls per area all in place.only offices upstairs.nothing danger apart from computers and monitors..regular fire drills.
chris42  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2017 08:45:02(UTC)
chris42

When I read the quote a while back referenced in post #5, I took it to mean what was on the ground floor opposed to specifically what was on the 1st floor was what determined if the distance could be shortened or lengthened. On the advice of a FRA we have closed a room on a first floor as the 18m came half way into the store room (stored paper only), downstairs was office, but also a parts store which could have some limited flammable items, but only general electrical things that may start a fire. I I took it to mean what we had below to be the issue.

So, I think you should also consider what is on the ground floor.

Bazzer  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2017 17:18:22(UTC)
Bazzer

b

Bazzer  
#11 Posted : 31 March 2017 17:30:32(UTC)
Bazzer

Depending on many issues, such as fire resitant construction of the exit route, smoke detectors in rooms off the exit route, any inner rooms, but if the maximum distance to a place of reasonable safety e.g. a protected stairway (with final exit to total safety), separate fire compartment (with final fire exit) or the nearest final exit is less than 18m (if normal fire risk) then you should be ok.

I have a client who has a simialr situation, with only one exit but the distance exceeds the recommended limit, so they have made the exit route fire resistant, installed smoke detectors in every room, including along the exit route, have regular fire drills, and have made the end room a safe haven in the event the exit route is blocked by fire or smoke; they would then wait for the fire and rescue service to rescue them, either vis the exit route or window. This has been approved by the fire and rescue, as the it is extremely unlikely the room would be needed