Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thend  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2017 19:07:20(UTC)
thend

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a job in managing/supervising construction site. I hold AQP CSCS card. In most of vacancies, they are looking for person with SMSTS or atleast SSSTS.

1) Is it a must? Is it possible to get any onther qualification which would be equal to that? 2) I am afraid, my english could be not good enough to pass it, since there are some exams. What metarials could I use to learn to preapare? Are there test/exams hard?

Regards Rafal

boblewis  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2017 21:05:50(UTC)
boblewis

It is the responsibility of the trainer to assist any language difficulties and make suitable arrangements for the testing required.  Talk to a local trainer.

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2017 08:32:14(UTC)
RayRapp

These industry qualifications are not a legal requirement - so not a must. However many organisations require certain personnel i.e. supervisors, to hold this level of qualification as part of their company policy. So in this respect it will be a must.

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2017 09:11:08(UTC)
WatsonD

Technically I suppose the IOSH Managing Safely course is of equal standing - as per page 6 of the following build UK guide on training: http://builduk.org/wp-co...tandard-1-April-2017.pdf

However, I doubt this would be easier to undertake than SMSTS

As mentioned before, if that is what the employers are requesting, then that is what you will need to have to get an interview.

As bob says, contact the CITB as their entry requirements state: You must have a good understanding of spoken and written English. Please contact us if you have any concerns in this area.

Good luck!

thend  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2017 19:46:33(UTC)
thend

Hello, thanks for answers but I've got some unanswered questions

1. What metarials could I use to preapare?

2. Are these test/exams hard?

Regards

Rafal

WatsonD  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2017 07:11:20(UTC)
WatsonD

The SMSTS course covers the following, which you can research (HSE website is good for this):

• The Health and Safety at Work Act
  • Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations
  • Risk assessments/method statements
  • Recent changes in accepted working practices
  • Behavioural safety
  • Management of occupational health
  • Electricity
  • Excavations
  • Working at height
  • Scaffolding
  • Demolition
  • Confined spaces.

RayRB2014  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2017 19:52:57(UTC)
RayRB2014

Hi

There is no real revision material you can read before the course unless you read all the regs which isnt really required - you dont need a full knowledge of H&S Regs to work as a site manager or to pass the course

its more that the course is designed to teach you where to go for guidnce or to seek information on a topic, on your first day of the course you are given a set of books produced by CiTB for the course, the trainer will take you through each subject over the 5 days and teach you the basics. There are many small exams through the course to test your learning but you are allowed to refer to the books for the answers

The final test is multiple choice, you are given 1hr to complete it and for the last 15 minutes you are allowed to use your books

as you can probably see from my answer the while 5 days is training you to refer to the books for advice, not nesesarrily learn everything in the books - you will absorb straightforward things like the maximum height of a handrail etc but you would perhaps have to refer to your book to know how to manage a deep excavation if thats isnt something you did regularly

there is also a presentation to be done but its usually done in teams and based on a fictitious scenario which yo uare given and again the particular issues you are to resolve ar eall in the books

Sorry its quite a long winded reply! Its a good course and well worth enrolling on, the books are a great source of reference to brush up on a topic onsite

DaveBridle  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2017 06:43:22(UTC)
DaveBridle

CITB now offer an app that you can purchase for your smartphone or tablet.  The app provides you with a range of questions that you can practice and also take a "test".  These are very similar to the real final exam and well worth investing (approx. £6).  The bonus is that you get used to the format of the exam questions, there is no limit on the number of times you can take the test using the app and it is always updated once purchased.

I am in no way linked to CITB, but having just recently obtained my CSCS card for visitng site, thought it may be worth letting people know.  They also offer written material, but as they update each year, the app is the better purchase.

Shopland23872  
#9 Posted : 18 April 2017 13:00:54(UTC)
Shopland23872

With regards to SMSTS and SSSTS the HSE insist on competent supervision, which gaining either of the afore mentioned demonstrates that you have (although not legally required). SMSTS is to manage a whole site as PC, but SSSTS is accepted to manage your own people as sub-conctractor. As you have stated you have an AQP CSCS card, it will depend what the qualifications are? Because unbeliveably even though you have passed SSSTS or SMSTS the CITB will not issue a CSCS card to that effect, only if you have an NVQ3 or above which will state "site supervisor" or "site manager". The system is badly flawed in this respect, as passing either of the above deems you competent to supervise or manage a site but will not allow you to get a corresponding CSCS card. It would be advisable to go straight for SMSTS as this will cover all bases if you want to manage a site as PC or subby.

Stern  
#10 Posted : 18 April 2017 15:26:30(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: Shopland23872 Go to Quoted Post

With regards to SMSTS and SSSTS the HSE insist on competent supervision, which gaining either of the afore mentioned demonstrates that you have (although not legally required). SMSTS is to manage a whole site as PC, but SSSTS is accepted to manage your own people as sub-conctractor. As you have stated you have an AQP CSCS card, it will depend what the qualifications are? Because unbeliveably even though you have passed SSSTS or SMSTS the CITB will not issue a CSCS card to that effect, only if you have an NVQ3 or above which will state "site supervisor" or "site manager". The system is badly flawed in this respect, as passing either of the above deems you competent to supervise or manage a site but will not allow you to get a corresponding CSCS card. It would be advisable to go straight for SMSTS as this will cover all bases if you want to manage a site as PC or subby.

The CSCS system is not flawed, it is people's understanding of the system which is flawed. A CSCS card is designed to demonstrate your qualifications (typically in the form of an NVQ). SSSTS and SMSTS are not qualifications, they are a health & safety biased training course for supervisors/managers which must be renewed regularly.

Simply passing an SSSTS/SMSTS course does not make you a competent site manager/supervisor. Having experience in the role and then having this "certified" in the form of a level 3/4/5/6 NVQ is what makes you competent As an example, around 10-12 years ago i was working as a labourer. I was given the opportunity by a mid sized PC to come on board as a trainee manager. First thing they did was put me through an SMSTS course (which i passed). Would you consider that a labourer with exactly 0 days experience in site management is now suddenly a competent site manager becuase he passed a H&S course?

Edited by user 19 April 2017 08:56:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stern  
#11 Posted : 18 April 2017 15:45:00(UTC)
Stern

Originally Posted by: DaveBridle Go to Quoted Post

CITB now offer an app that you can purchase for your smartphone or tablet.  The app provides you with a range of questions that you can practice and also take a "test".  These are very similar to the real final exam and well worth investing (approx. £6).  The bonus is that you get used to the format of the exam questions, there is no limit on the number of times you can take the test using the app and it is always updated once purchased.

I am in no way linked to CITB, but having just recently obtained my CSCS card for visitng site, thought it may be worth letting people know.  They also offer written material, but as they update each year, the app is the better purchase.

I think you are talking about the HS&E test required to apply for a CSCS card. The poster is asking about SSSTS/SMSTS courses which are something different.

DanielUk  
#12 Posted : 21 December 2020 06:33:45(UTC)
DanielUk

it is not must. but having a SMSTS Test Certificate will make good impressions on recruiters.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 21 December 2020 10:32:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Must have taken some searching to find a suitable post to breach forum rules - REPORTED

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 21/12/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 21/12/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 21 December 2020 10:32:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

Must have taken some searching to find a suitable post to breach forum rules - REPORTED

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 21/12/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 21/12/2020(UTC)