Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stevie  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2017 13:56:48(UTC)
Stevie

Hi All

I would like some assistance and views on lifting items with cherry pickers. There seems to be a contrast to guidance and common practice. Looking at the guidance it says that the cherry picker should only be used to carry the persons within it and handtools, but should not be used to carry equipment, however it seems common practice to use the cherry pickers to carry equipment. I want to focus on carrying scaffolding tubes for hand rail systems and lightweight purlins for steel framed buildings, however I know they are commonly used for carrying windows, cladding etc. I have looked at common practice and reviewed several RAMS which state using the cherry picker to carry the hand rail/scaffold tube, I would like to state that by doing so this does not overload the mewp. What are peoples experiences and views on whether this is permitted or not and if not, is it an ignored common practice that should be challenged?

Ron Hunter  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2017 16:00:28(UTC)
Ron Hunter

A telehandler would be my preferred option for lifting or lowering bulk materials. Nothing to stop you taking materials in a MEWP providing the materials are secure and SWL isn't exceeded. I wouldn't think scaffold tubes or cladding sheets etc, would be suitable for MEWP, and you shouldn't undersling from a MEWP - use a telehandler.

Blackburn31728  
#3 Posted : 05 May 2017 08:51:51(UTC)
Blackburn31728

Look at nation wide platforms they have sky racks for this but lifting plan must be in place also

Bigmac1  
#4 Posted : 07 May 2017 08:45:07(UTC)
Bigmac1

I agree with Blackburn, There are racks for carrying different items.

boblewis  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2017 12:13:04(UTC)
boblewis

I think you have to be very careful if you go outside the manufacturers stated two persons and tools.  These are work platforms and NOT lifting machines.  I personally have never accepted a method statement that intends such use. 

Shopland23872  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2017 18:11:49(UTC)
Shopland23872

I completely agree with boblewis, a MEWP is exactly that.... A work platform, yes people and tools are within the manufacturers recommended use and safe weight loads, transporting materials is a job for a telehandler or crane. I have also never agreed any RAMS for using a MEWP for anything else other than personnel and light tools. If a MEWP was to be used for example to take a small piece of guttering or a couple of tiles upto a roof then as long as they are secured during transit then there is no realistic problem with that, but anymore than that would not be acceptable.
Invictus  
#7 Posted : 08 May 2017 07:07:27(UTC)
Invictus

They shouldn't be used for lifting materials etc.

try here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/geis6.pdf

boblewis  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2017 11:29:39(UTC)
boblewis

Originally Posted by: Shopland23872 Go to Quoted Post
I completely agree with boblewis, a MEWP is exactly that.... A work platform, yes people and tools are within the manufacturers recommended use and safe weight loads, transporting materials is a job for a telehandler or crane. I have also never agreed any RAMS for using a MEWP for anything else other than personnel and light tools. If a MEWP was to be used for example to take a small piece of guttering or a couple of tiles upto a roof then as long as they are secured during transit then there is no realistic problem with that, but anymore than that would not be acceptable.

I would not give way to any materials on the basis that there will then be a tendency to say well I thought it was small enough!!!!

Stevie  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2017 14:13:22(UTC)
Stevie

I have had a look at the HSE guidance note GEIS6  and it has a section on material handling using mewps : -

If MEWPs are to be used to install materials, it is essential to know the weight and dimensions of those materials and to properly consider any manual handling and load distribution issues. Boom-type MEWPs generally have smaller baskets and lower lift capacities than scissor-type MEWPs and their platforms can ‘bounce’ at height due to the boom structure flexing. This may make them less suitable to use for installing long or heavy materials, or bulky materials that may obstruct the control panel. Materials should never be balanced on the handrails of a MEWP. Instead, you should consider using a second boom-type MEWP, a scissor lift, a crane or a telehandler of appropriate capacity in conjunction with an appropriate material handling attachment where necessary (see Figure 3). The combination of a MEWP used for access, with other plant to handle the materials, reduces the risk of overturning and minimises the risk of injury due to manual handling. Remember, all people, tools, materials and material handling devices add to the safe working load of the machine. Never disable the platform overload system. Where the overload alarm has been activated or movement functions have cut out due to overload, remove the overload immediately if possible before attempting to recover the machine. If you plan the work properly, the need for outreach may be avoided by, for example, preparing or reinstating the ground conditions in the area directly beneath planned overhead work or by adjusting the work schedule to delay the construction of low level structures until work overhead has been completed. 

What are people views on this?

RayRapp  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2017 14:40:09(UTC)
RayRapp

Good and sensible advice from the HSE as far as I'm concerned. 

JohnW  
#11 Posted : 20 June 2017 17:46:44(UTC)
JohnW

Materials might weigh less than the SWL but the SWL applies to the floor of the platform. If the cage barriers are taking the weight then that's a problem, but the main issue is risk of instability. Also using MEWP as a crane (suspended under the cage) must be prohibited, again instability is the risk.

Edited by user 20 June 2017 17:48:32(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Stevie  
#12 Posted : 21 June 2017 12:26:36(UTC)
Stevie

If this is the case then why are attchments sold for the purpose of carrying items in a cherry picker? please see http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/geis6.pdf for an image.

Also by introducing for example a telehandler to lift the purlins up, is this making it more dangerous by introducing more moving plant, slinger signaller, poor communication in to the mix?  

JohnW  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2017 16:20:49(UTC)
JohnW

Stevie, with regard to material handling attachments, GEIS6 is saying that if that option is used then the persons must be in another MEWP or scissor lift.

Quote:
consider using a second boom-type MEWP, a scissor lift, a crane or a telehandler of appropriate capacity in conjunction with an appropriate material handling attachment where necessary (see Figure 3). The combination of a MEWP used for access, with other plant to handle the materials, reduces the risk of overturning and minimises the risk of injury due to manual handling.

​​​​​​​.

Stevie  
#14 Posted : 22 June 2017 09:04:26(UTC)
Stevie

So what are they recommending there that the mewp is operated with no persons in the basket? i.e. from the emergency ground controls?
Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

Stevie, with regard to material handling attachments, GEIS6 is saying that if that option is used then the persons must be in another MEWP or scissor lift.

Quote:
consider using a second boom-type MEWP, a scissor lift, a crane or a telehandler of appropriate capacity in conjunction with an appropriate material handling attachment where necessary (see Figure 3). The combination of a MEWP used for access, with other plant to handle the materials, reduces the risk of overturning and minimises the risk of injury due to manual handling.

​​​​​​​.

JohnW  
#15 Posted : 22 June 2017 13:40:33(UTC)
JohnW

Originally Posted by: Stevie Go to Quoted Post
So what are they recommending there that the mewp is operated with no persons in the basket? i.e. from the emergency ground controls?

The diagram/image in geis6 shows no-one on the platform with the material

​​​​​​​

Stevie  
#16 Posted : 23 June 2017 12:18:18(UTC)
Stevie

So just to clarify the advice is that is can be done from ground level if using an attachment as pictured?
Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Stevie Go to Quoted Post

The diagram/image in geis6 shows no-one on the platform with the material

​​​​​​​