Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ant C  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2017 15:25:49(UTC)
Ant C

Hi.

Does anyone know if there are any bespoke safety shoe manufacturers in the North West.

Thanks

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2017 18:25:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Okay I wil ask - how do you get a bespoke safety shoe?

Bespoke indicates the item is potentially a single one off manufacture e.g. for a non-standard shoe size.

Without trawling through the text of the relevant harmonised standards it is likely that to carry the appropriate EN reference several pairs would need producing for type testing by an accreditation provider.

Even assembling type approved components (toe cap, mid-sole, upper) does not guarantee the final product would pass assessment for the total assembly.

Or is this more a case you have a concept to pitch for a market niche?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2017 18:25:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Okay I wil ask - how do you get a bespoke safety shoe?

Bespoke indicates the item is potentially a single one off manufacture e.g. for a non-standard shoe size.

Without trawling through the text of the relevant harmonised standards it is likely that to carry the appropriate EN reference several pairs would need producing for type testing by an accreditation provider.

Even assembling type approved components (toe cap, mid-sole, upper) does not guarantee the final product would pass assessment for the total assembly.

Or is this more a case you have a concept to pitch for a market niche?

Zyggy  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2017 20:53:26(UTC)
Zyggy

"Bespoke" safety shoes are nothing new. When I worked in the gas industry I was heavily involved in the procurement of PPE & of the thousands of individuals who required safety footwear a significant number were unable to wear the standard shoes etc. Our supplier in the NW at the time was Goliath & any employee needing "specials" e.g. for foot deformities, was visited by a rep who measured their feet & individual lasts were made for future purchases. All the resulting footwear met the requisite standards of the day.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
score on 18/05/2017(UTC)
Ron Hunter  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2017 15:35:46(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Unfortunately costs of compliance with today's standards are likely to be prohibitive and beyond any contextual measure of "reasonable adjustment."

aiden  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2017 20:48:14(UTC)
aiden

I have faced this issue previously and dealth with it along the following lines - not perfect but...

We organised with the safety committee a safety shoe road show - with pre-selected safety shoes with the acceptable parametrs e.g. SRC, including a broadly acceptable cost range. We had approx 10 styles of safety shoe in all the available sizes- proably numbered 100 different pairs of shoes. Some at the same size were a broad fit, some narrow fit, couple of safety boots etc. Supplier ran this road show for approx 2 hrs/shift across all the shift paterns for about a week. Measuring feet, offering suggestions and occassionly bringing in an additional acceptable safety shoe. By the end of the week we had satisified about 98% of the staff  which numbered >700. The balance we dealth with overtime with insoles and some different shoes. We had to deal with various foot issues including  plantar fasciitis, bunions, spurs, etc. Over the following about four weeks we satisified all. Huge effort but suceeded. It was interesting that despite all the issues with peoples feet not one ever had to get a shoe made for their normal footwear! The following year we basically stuck with the same shoe issue- we had to modify the offering as styles change/cease production etc. But much reduced issues. Now two years later it is now a minor hassle at each safety shoe issue.

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2018 08:03:07(UTC)
Hsquared14

On a purely personal note has anyone any recommendations for ladies safety footwear with a high toe cap space?  I broke a toe some years back and it is now deforming and bent in the middle to the point where it rubs mercilessly on the topcap of my safety shoes, the pressure of the toe cap on the joint has also forced my toe into another toe and the nail has ripped into the flesh of my deformed toe.  This happened when walking round the site last week.  I am currently struggling with any shoes let alone safety shoes!  I know that the long term solution is to get the toe re-set but I need a pair of safety shoes I can wear otherwise as the Safety Manager I will have to exclude myself from most parts of my own site!!

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 28 March 2018 08:49:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Regulation 4 of the PPE at Work Regs states that employers must supply suitable PPE to employees who need it and that it should be suitable etc. Reg 4(3) (e) states that the PPE must comply with all relevant standards i.e.it must  be CE marked but if you look at Para 49 of the Guidance that accompanies the Regs:

Para. 49.  The requirement for CE marking may be relaxed to meet the needs of the disabled and allow PPE to be customised so that it can better protect them. However, there is no exemption from the regulations for disabled people, and PPE must be provided and worn if the risk assessment indicates that is what is required. For example, someone with one leg shorter than the other may require the manufacturer to adapt the safety shoe with a raised sole and this would be counted as manufacturing a new article of PPE. In this case, under a proposed amendment to the EC Directive, the custom-made article would not need the specific conformity assessment procedure that would normally be required for a CE mark. While the proposed amendment has still to be negotiated and transposed into UK law, enforcing authorities will not take any action against organisations who adapt PPE for legitimate reasons. The individual or company that customises an article of PPE must draw up a statement that contains the following:

1. Data allowing identification of the specific articles of PPE.
  2. A statement that the PPE is intended for exclusive use by a particular user, together with the name of that user.
  3. The name and address of the manufacturer.
  4. The particular features of the PPE.
  5. A statement that the PPE in question conforms to the principles laid down in Annex II of the PPE Directive.
  6. A statement of the medical or technical grounds for the custom-made PPE together with the scope and number of PPE items concerned.

Para 50 The statement must be kept for at least ten years after the PPE is placed on the market.

So you can have bespoke PPE but you must be able to justify it and it can only be supplied to named individual.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 28/03/2018(UTC)
Zyggy  
#9 Posted : 28 March 2018 09:24:38(UTC)
Zyggy

Hsquared14 - have you tried wearing safety wellingtons which could help?

Hsquared14  
#10 Posted : 28 March 2018 12:27:51(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Zyggy Go to Quoted Post

Hsquared14 - have you tried wearing safety wellingtons which could help?

I hadn't thought of that one but on second thoughts half our staff already think I look like a minion when I am in my hi-vis coat and that would reinforce their opinion!  Could be fun though - a health and safety minion  LOL

Edited by user 28 March 2018 12:28:32(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

Zyggy  
#11 Posted : 28 March 2018 12:41:33(UTC)
Zyggy

Perhaps if you ditched the blue dungarees & rounded spectacles, you might just get away with it :-) !!

CSteel  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2018 15:43:59(UTC)
CSteel

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

On a purely personal note has anyone any recommendations for ladies safety footwear with a high toe cap space?  I broke a toe some years back and it is now deforming and bent in the middle to the point where it rubs mercilessly on the topcap of my safety shoes, the pressure of the toe cap on the joint has also forced my toe into another toe and the nail has ripped into the flesh of my deformed toe.  This happened when walking round the site last week.  I am currently struggling with any shoes let alone safety shoes!  I know that the long term solution is to get the toe re-set but I need a pair of safety shoes I can wear otherwise as the Safety Manager I will have to exclude myself from most parts of my own site!!

Hi H

We offer the No Risk Rider Safety Trainer and people claim they have lots of room in them.

My own pair are the Topaz womens slip on shoe. I really rate these if you are looking for a smarter looking pair of shoes.

SNS  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2018 11:43:25(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Have you considred ther suitability of the 'overshoe' type for your use? they strap over ordinary shoes and provide the identified levels of protection without compressing the shoes.

Kate  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2018 14:50:14(UTC)
Kate

Disadvantages of "clown shoes" as they are often known are that you trip over them and they look comical.