Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Amanda Owen1  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2017 07:09:52(UTC)
Amanda Owen1

Following the tragic events in Manchester on Monday evening, the National Counter Terrorism Policing Unit have recommended that all businesses consider the National Stakeholder Menu of Tactical Options (see link below), in particular recommending that businesses consider the following: Increase security presence, Staff Vigilance, Partnership working, CCTV

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-stakeholder-menu-of-tactical-options

The NCTPU have also recommended that employers direct their staff to the Citizen Aid app and Run, Hide, Tell on YouTube. Stating that 'The number of casualties last night highlights the importance of understanding first aid'. 

http://www.npcc.police.uk/NPCCBusinessAreas/WeaponAttacksStaySafe.aspx 

http://citizenaid.org/

Edited by user 24 May 2017 07:15:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Amanda Owen1 for this useful post.
RobA on 25/05/2017(UTC)
DaveBridle  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2017 07:28:39(UTC)
DaveBridle

Whilst the incident in Manchester was tragic and another event in the recent catalogue of attrocities that have taken place around Europe in the past few years, I feel that this is where the Government must take the lead.  The Government, Police and relevant agencies can only issue guidance.  It is then down to business leaders to either accept it and act upon it or not.

As H&S professionals I don't think it is down to us to implement, but maybe suggest that this guidance is available and does the business want to do anything with it.

It is a tricky balance that firmly lays at board level.

I am not dismissing any guidance provided, but think it needs to be carefully implemented and not seen as a knee jerk reaction that could be perceived as "what do they know" or "are we at risk" and causing panic and concern.

Amanda Owen1  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2017 07:35:38(UTC)
Amanda Owen1

Dave, Whilst I appreciate that these messages need to be positioned carefully, what I have posted is a direct recommendation from the National Counter Terrorism Policing Unit refererncing government produced and supported material.  It is not a recommendation of my own, though it is one that I support. 

Edited by user 24 May 2017 07:41:48(UTC)  | Reason: to clarify that referenced material is government produced and supported

Invictus  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2017 07:42:34(UTC)
Invictus

I think it depends on the business that your in, prisons will be set at critical now, large companies possibly the same, local authorities might move it up the scale, railways particularly underground stations, airports etc..

I work in a background with th elderly and youngsters and we will continue as is. I will also continue my life. 

I do send my condolences, to the families who have lost loved ones and to Manchester in general.

RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2017 07:49:12(UTC)
RayRapp

I do not envisage any extra security measures being put in place due to this recent terrorist attack. We have certain security measures in place. I think there is very little which can be done to prevent such atrocities especially in public organisations where members of the public have access.

There is also a danger of an over reaction. I recall when working on public transport back in the 1980s and 90s after an IRA bomb blast there would be a spate of false alarms as a result of passengers being exceptionally vigilant. 

andybz  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2017 08:04:41(UTC)
andybz

I think that if your organisation is an expected target you (or a colleague) will already know and will be receiving direct and specific advice/support.  For everyone else, this guidance is really a prompt to make sure systems you already have in place for general security are working properly.

However, I would suggest that there is a business continuity issue, even if your organisation is not a target.  How will you cope if an neighbouring site is attacked, major transport routes are interupted etc?  Again, you should already have plans in place but this could be the prompt to review.

Ron Hunter  
#7 Posted : 24 May 2017 11:23:05(UTC)
Ron Hunter

I sincerely hope that this despicable act backfires on those who wish to visit terror upon us. To deliberately target young people is an evil beyond words.

The cynic in me says however that the Government have deliberately chosen this escalation based not on terror threat, but to suit their own political agenda.

DavidGault  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2017 12:38:02(UTC)
DavidGault

One of the biggest difficulties in reacting to the terror threat is the fact that we don't know any real details.  Presumably (and a big presumption here) the government has some specific information that lead them to deploy troops today.  Not only do I not have that information (nor should I have it) but the I don't have the resources to react in such a manner.

Which leaves the practicalities of vigilance and reporting any suspicious activity to the authorities, coupled with good evacuation and response plans.  

lorna  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2017 07:41:28(UTC)
lorna

Apart from viigilance, there are a few practical things that we can do - they're not 'biggies'. I've made sure that all the first aid kits are fully stocked, ordered some field/trauma dressings & extra foil blankets and made up emergency grab bags (using the Govt guidance & checklist).

It will take you less than 5 minutes to donwload the CitizenAid App - a small thing that could make a big difference. 

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
Amanda Owen1 on 25/05/2017(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 25 May 2017 12:29:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The main thing you need is Incident response plan (not the same as business continuity-it’s about getting everybody out and safe, not about saving the business) and an incident control officer who knows the plan and can make sure everybody follows it when things happen and can act as a contact point with emergency services.

The size and scope of this plan depends on how big your organisation is and how vulnerable it is.

jwk  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2017 08:30:54(UTC)
jwk

We are issuing guidance on enhancing our security to all our premises in the wake of the Manchester events. You might think that as a humanitarian NGO we'd have little need, but we do. There are people that don't like us (including some right-wing UK newspapers but they're only interested in blackening our name, not blowing us up... I think!) so we already have access controls in our premises, CCTV and the like. We also take part in civil defence exercises with the statutory authorities, so we are pretty well versed in all this.

Our shops of course don't have access controls, so we have to deal with them slightly differently, but it's still all about awareness and being prepared to take things seriously.

Simple stuff is what's needed, take care everybody, be safe,

John

rs10  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2017 12:38:11(UTC)
rs10

All

My job role covers safety & security for a major crowded place venue therefore the guidance we follow has a lot of relevance.

If anyone is unsure what to do then I would recommend you initially contact your local Counter Terrorism Security Advisor (CTSA) based at your local Police force.  They can offer advice and point you in the right direction for security measures - and if your venue is applicable will carry out a survey.

NaCTSO has refreshed its latest guidance on recognising the terrorist threat and I would recommend you access this at www.nactso.gov.uk

The following links provide also some additional information:

http://www.cpni.gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stay-safe-film

http://www.cpni.gov.uk/advice/physical-security/cctv

thanks 1 user thanked rs10 for this useful post.
lorna on 09/06/2017(UTC)
rs10  
#13 Posted : 14 July 2017 15:03:16(UTC)
rs10

Further to my previous post please see the latest Crowded Places Guidance document produced by NaCTSO. Apologies if you have already seen it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/619411/170614_crowded-places-guidance_v1.pdf

Hsquared14  
#14 Posted : 17 July 2017 12:48:22(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think the response depends on whether you are a target or not.  For most of us the threat levels mean little have little impact except perhaps that knowing that the threat level has increased means I keep my eyes open a bit more for odd or unusual behaviour, unattended parcels in public etc.  For most businesses it makes no difference but if you are theatre or conference centre then more security and a reminder to staff about emergency procedures, bomb threats etc might be a good idea.

lorna  
#15 Posted : 18 July 2017 06:58:10(UTC)
lorna

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

I think the response depends on whether you are a target or not.   

I'm near Manchester & have recently attended a seminar with speakers from the Police & Counter Terrorism. Two comments came across strongly;

- the bar that was attacked in Paris was a distraction target - they wanted to keep the emergency services occupied while they attacked their real target, an international match at the Stade de Paris.

- many businesses, including Chethams School, were caught within the cordon after the Arena bomb. Staff couldn't get in & parents were worried about their children who couldn't come out.

Even if you think you'll never be a target, who knows what goes through those murderous minds? Emergency procedures should include 'what if'...

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
JonCushen on 18/07/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 18 July 2017 08:04:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

What if....?

Such a short phrase leading to so much effort and anguish.

How do you know when that particular question has been adequately answered given all the potential variables?

Once in a hundred years weather event coupled with power workers strike coupled with major traffic grid-lock then add to the mix...all valid what if scenarios

Roundtuit  
#17 Posted : 18 July 2017 08:04:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

What if....?

Such a short phrase leading to so much effort and anguish.

How do you know when that particular question has been adequately answered given all the potential variables?

Once in a hundred years weather event coupled with power workers strike coupled with major traffic grid-lock then add to the mix...all valid what if scenarios

stevedm  
#18 Posted : 20 July 2017 07:19:29(UTC)
stevedm

Amanda

The references you have posted are good...I have emergency plans for major hazard facilities across a number of countries and have regular visits from CTSA in the UK and other services outside of the UK.

You can go overboard, unless you are in the centre of the intelligence flow to truely undertsand the threat to you facility or staff you can only put the basics in place including planning and perhaps going as far as building and facility design. The only thing I would add to your list is to review emergency plans against the JSIP model (you can also download a free app) this will give you a flexible enough framework to deal with any combination of incidents.

http://www.jesip.org.uk/home

During what people refer to as the 'trouble' in NI my then employer had a number of vehicles bricked by youths as they were going about thier deliveries, mainly because the headboard said 'British'  we removed the headboard so the youth's didn't have a chance to pick up the stones by the time the vehicle go to them...just little to show that things help.

I have been involved in activities from Environmental Activities, Animal rights to threats too numerous to mention in the Congo and South Africa where you really didn't know what would be coming next...it did involve making sure that the staff at risk new what it meant and knew what to do to check and what to do when it happens.

You can't plan for everything but you can put simple things in place to help mitigate the impact.

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
lorna on 20/07/2017(UTC)
Safety Shadow  
#19 Posted : 20 July 2017 10:33:12(UTC)
Safety Shadow

Hi All,

There has been a new accredited training course realised that goes hand in hand with the CitizenAid App. This course builds on the governments advice on RUN,HIDE & TELL by adding a practical element for dealing with multiple causalities and likely injuries in the event of a terror attack.

I am currently in the process for delivering this 3 hour course myself to all my staff to build resilience within the company.

We can’t plan for every eventuality but we can provide staff with the basic fundamentals of life saving skills. It’s very unlikely that the sector I work in will be involved with such an incident but the skills taught on the course will provide staff with a plan of how to react in such an event either at work or when they are in the community.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked Safety Shadow for this useful post.
lorna on 20/07/2017(UTC)
lorna  
#20 Posted : 20 July 2017 10:40:32(UTC)
lorna

Hi dazlalley

I'd be interested in some more info about that training - I'm reviewing our first aid training so it might be a good one to add to the mix. 

Edited by user 20 July 2017 10:41:32(UTC)  | Reason: typo