Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Griffin40369  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2017 10:55:25(UTC)
Griffin40369

Hi all,

I'm trying to find the lightest weight possible safety footwear for an employee with a knee condition. I've found that most suppliers don't state the weight of the shoes they are supplying which is making this difficult.

The lightest safety shoe I've found is only available in the US ( the Jetsream Carbonmax). These are around 300grams, but they don't supply into the UK :/.

Has anyone managed to get hold of a safety shoe at S2 level of protection at under 500 grams? If so please kindly share where you got them from.

hilary  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2017 11:06:39(UTC)
hilary

Be careful with this, Arco did a study and found that 6/10 composite toecaps in their range did not meet the 200 Joule standard impact protection.  We changed all ours for steel toecaps.  Have you thought about a knee brace as an additional support?

Below is an SHP article about the study:

https://www.shponline.co.uk/45605-2/

Adams29600  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2017 15:34:30(UTC)
Adams29600

In a previous role with an electronics company, we had non conductive safety footwear with Kevlar toecaps. very light and very comfortable. Purchased through ARCO, but not their own brand. An added advantage was they don't set the detectors off in airports!

jay  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2017 17:01:13(UTC)
jay

My understanding from reading the SHP Online article and the ARCO Toe-Cap Advice Sheet is that there is a difference between a "Composite Material Toe-Cap" and an "Injection Moulded Thermoplastic Toe-Cap as both are not steel toe-caps

It goes on to state that :-

The toe cap and sole design is crucial to ensure the ‘defended space’ principle works. The footwear sampled from the market was a combination of thermoplastic and fibreglass composite footwear. Only the footwear with thermoplastic toe caps failed to meet the European safety standard requirements.

The use of thermoplastic toe caps in non metallic styles of footwear appears to be prevalent in the market. The toe cap itself may well meet the requirement of EN 12568 but safety footwear sampled utilising this type of cap failed to meet the requirements for the whole of footwear compression testing requirement as defined in EN ISO 20345: 2011.

mike350  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2017 14:09:54(UTC)
mike350

Not sure on the construction of the mid sole or toe cap because I don't have a data sheet to hand but know Cofra make safety boots/shoes with a composite material that are very light and comfortable. I do know that they are updating their spec and most are an S3. Might be worth checking with Arco or your local supplier.

Mike