Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stuart Smiles  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2017 13:27:50(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

given link below from iosh magazine,

https://www.ioshmagazine.com/article/legal-ruling-could-threaten-companies-right-keep-privileged-documents-enforcers , and 

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/sfo-wins-disclosure-bid-in-legal-privilege-case/5061012.article?utm_source=dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%20GAZ141016#commentsJump

when an organisation wants/needs to conduct investigations, how can these, and associated records be gathered in a private manner to obtain appropriate advice ?

the benefit of timely investigation is available to the regulators, but not to the defendent? 

surely if such a situation were allowed to stand, then only commensurate measure would be: regulators should provide copies of all interviews taken at the time to the organisation affected, say within 5 working days?  

which i think they would view as somewhat unlikey...

or am i missing something? 

thanks

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 31 May 2017 13:52:50(UTC)
RayRapp

Stuart

It is my understanding that legal privilege is very narrow and often misunderstood. I looked into this matter somewhile back and received the information below from a reliable source:

Legal privilege only exists to allow a client to take legal advice from a solicitor or barrister. Therefore, the report in question must have been commissioned by a lawyer for the sole purpose of him providing legal advice to the client. There are therefore a number of ways of testing whether the report is privileged or not:

i. Is there a contractual obligation on the organisation to investigate accidents or does it have a policy of doing so? If the answer is yes, you might be able to argue that the report cannot be privileged.

ii. Was the report prepared by or commissioned by a lawyer for the purposes of him giving legal advice? If not, the report cannot be privileged.

iii. Is the report in any way in the public domain, by that I mean, are you or is anybody outside the PC organisation aware of what the report contains (i.e. has there been any leak about the report's contents)? If yes, then arguably the organisation has deliberately or inadvertently waived privilege, which may entitle you to a copy of the report.

Zyggy  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2017 14:16:30(UTC)
Zyggy

Stuart, as Ray has stated it's not always as simple as many people think!

We were always advised by our solicitors to add specific wording to our Accident Reports to gain legal privilege:

"Privileged: Legal Advice and/or in contemplation of Legal Proceedings"

This advice was acted on & the wording duly added to reports, however, when I acted as an Expert Witness in a fatality prosecution, the Crown Court Judge declared that my report could be submitted as evidence & that legal privilege did not apply.

Despite objections from our barrister, his decision stood.

Xavier123  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2017 09:35:59(UTC)
Xavier123

Thanks for posting Stuart, I'd missed this.

Fascinating.

I've long held that the whole process of seeking legal privilege was likely flawed.  The mere involvement of a solicitor in the initial investigation (by whatever means) always struck me as somewhat artificial and purely to deny information to other parties.

The ruling appears to address that - investigations undertaken following commencement of litigation are different from investigations taken in anticipation of one (where this process has recently been misused).

And I think the point is, your own investigation isn't guaranteed to be private nor do you necessarily have a legal right to arrange/assume it will be.  Not sure about your timely investigation comment?  Nothing about a regulator investigation stops you from also asking questions/investigating unless they've detained or taken away equipment etc. in which case they should share findings and allow appropriate access too.

A mature organisation will tend to be open with the regulators anyway about their own findings and hopefully demonstrate a level of higher safety culture as a consequence.  Of course, then you have to trust the regulator to realise this....

imwaldra  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2017 08:21:55(UTC)
imwaldra

The free IOSH guide 'Learning the lessons' covers this issue from an OSH perspective. Some lawyers may recomend trying to use legal priviledge, but an OSH professional wishing to ensure learning should recommend the opposite. Ultimately it's a management decision, so you need to ensure the decision maker(s) have thought it through before the issue arises 'in anger'.

djupnorth  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2017 14:38:15(UTC)
djupnorth

Stuart, The recent Court of Appeal decision in SFO v ENRC (2017) has clarifie the situation on both litigation and legal advice privilege. Following this case, documentation created for the purpose of any investigation, whether or not it is created by a solicitor is not legally privileged. This includes witness statements and accident investigation reports. Documents will only be privileged if they are created for the sole or dominent purpose of the giving or receiving of legal advice and documents will only attract litigation privilege once litigation (whether criminal or civil) has started or it is in contemplation (i.e. it is probably rather than possible). I trust this helps.
chris42  
#7 Posted : 08 June 2017 15:44:34(UTC)
chris42

Hi DJ

Just to check, has this gone through the court of appeal as All the references last one being 8th May 2017 said they were going to go to the court of appeal (as in it had not happened yet).

Question to anyone, where in legislation does it say you Must conduct and accident investigation. There is a requirement to review a risk assessment if there is any question of inadequacy, but no actual requirement to do an investigation is there?

Yes people are correct, we would want to do one and learn, and improve but not necessarily “wash our (company) dirty linin in public” so to speak. I wonder if this in future could put companies off carrying out a proper investigation?

Stuart Smiles  
#8 Posted : 08 June 2017 15:50:22(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

I would contend that:

Contemplation point in time:

The contemplation of the legal action from the prosecution side realistically starts at the call for Ambulance/Police to attend site, the hse inspector on arrival is looking to see if there is a basis for a realistic prospect of conviction, in the public interest, after all.  

as such the clock should start ticking at the same time and should apply to the defence side as well. 

Ability to properly advise/defend case ,access to relevant information:

Whilst it may well be said, a nuber of times, "there may not be a prosecution" during the investigation phase, realistically, in a large proporion of cases, it is likely that an prosecution will likely follow, and the purpose of the visit is "contemplation of a case" through an investigation.  

As such, as the effect of the decision, (un-amended) is that the prosecution can gather evidence and hold until a decision has been come to on pleading not guilty for access to the "unused evidence", then fairness and balance should dictate that the same should apply for defence throughout. 

It is extremely one sided to say that all activity done on behalf of the organisation be handed over whilst the prosecution wouldn't offer the same. 

Perhaps I am looking at it from a perspective of wanting to see fairness and equality under the law, rather than another hand tied behind the back of defendent. - should one not be equal under the law? 

already the defendent will:-

have to pay ffi for investigation costs, have to pay for own investigation, lawyer/barrister costs, and then a fine of significance.(if convicted), additional ongoing insurance hikes etc. 

Consequences:

Whilst there will be lots saying, "good, that's because you didn't take safety seriously in the first place", I would contend that it is a step too far, one-sided for the prosecution, leaving only the largest in a position able to attempt to challenge assertions of the prosecution or defend oneselves.

As such, I anticipate that there will be a number of cases set aside once people think about the consequences - retrials, challenged and unsafe prosecutions because the defence was hamstrung. 

- last things anyone would want would be to have to go through whole process again. 

Xavier123  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2017 08:23:48(UTC)
Xavier123

A few things there Stuart.

1. Main reason for investigation is, officially, to prevent a recurrence, not to find a reason to prosecute.  Your views may differ. ;)

2. With that in mind though, 90% of HSE investigations end in no prosecution (up to date figures direct from HSE Head of Operations) albeit maybe have IN's etc so still incur FFI. I suspect the figures are even less for LA invstigations but these numbers are not gathered uniformally across the UK.

3. Doesn't this just reset the clock back to exactly how it was (and still is for many) prior to the attempted use of legal privilege?

4. Your point about contemplation of legal action will undoubtedly form part of any appeal so may still be meritorious but I refer you to point 2.  Prosecution remains significantly less likely than you believe although circumstances for any individual accident will be different - some accidents are definitely more likely than others to result in enforcement.

Stuart Smiles  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2017 12:23:37(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

I would agree the prevention of a recurrance is an objective in the first instance. 

Severity: I was thinking about serious accidents / KSI compared to minor events

I was trying to imply this through reference to lawyers/barrister costs etc being significant.

There may well be a line drawn between those that have significant impacts vs low consequences, and I think there may be scope for a line there, however I don't see an accident with serious outcomes not being taken through to a conclusion, as with all there will be exceptions to the rule, however that should in no way impede the ability of the organisation to investigate in a no-holds-barred way. 

the sentencing guidelines are now based on a matrix approach, and as such, would suggest that perhaps complexity will have to follow with the investigations too.

It appears to me it is now likely companies will decide it is too important/costly/variable to do a blanket hold hands up and to not challenge the narrative provided. this will then be something which will get in the way of achieving an agreed "what happened and why", drawing out the process, and bringing argy-bargy into what was once a more civilised affair.  

it sets a precident whichever way things end up, but there needs to be a better answer than everything going one way, and nothing the other. 

djupnorth  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:20:41(UTC)
djupnorth

Chris, 

No, the case has not yet been appealed.

Stuart,

On your 'contemplation' point, contemplation means a prosecution must be 'likely' rather than 'possible' and as the HSE always say that it cannot make any enforcement decision until after its investigation (and in the case of a death, the Inquest) is complete.  In the SFO case, the court made it clear that an investigation is a 'fact finding exercise' and so no prosecution can be in contemplation during the HSE's investigation.

On the issue of whether or not there is a duty to investigate accidents, there is no express legal duty, although there is an implied Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations, regulation 5 duty to monitoring and review.  

I trust this is of assistance.

DJ 

thanks 2 users thanked djupnorth for this useful post.
RayRapp on 12/06/2017(UTC), chris42 on 12/06/2017(UTC)