Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JHF  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2017 14:08:38(UTC)
JHF

Are you allowed to travel in a scissor lift when extended?

paul.skyrme  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2017 14:25:41(UTC)
paul.skyrme

It is not prohibited during IPAF training, in fact you are taught to travel with the platform raised.
JHF  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2017 14:27:37(UTC)
JHF

Thanks, presume you must be clipped on when travelling?

paul.skyrme  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2017 15:17:24(UTC)
paul.skyrme

You must never wear a harness clipped on to a scissor lift, only ever a boom platform which has suitable anchor points.

It is doubtful you will find suitable anchor points in a scissor lift for a fall restraint harness.

Also, they are too restrictive when worn correctly to safely operate a scissor lift.

So, in short, no not clipped on, you must never be clipped on with a harness in a scissor lift when driving it according to IPAF training.

JHF  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2017 15:40:40(UTC)
JHF

THANKS Paul. Should they be in the lower position only when travelling?

Edited by user 06 June 2017 15:49:48(UTC)  | Reason: update

paul.skyrme  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2017 17:21:22(UTC)
paul.skyrme

They can be raised when being travelled.

You wouldn't drive from one side of a rough site to another in the raised position, just travelling, but, they can be moved around the work location for example moving along a pipe securing hangers, or painting at high level, or fitting curtain walling/windows along a long run.

You wouldn't come down from full height, move the length of the lift, then go back up again.

You would travel elevated.

However, remember, the operators must be competent, and ground assessments are part of that copetence, if in doubt, they must be asking, it is also one of the reasons you can't wear a harness, if you did, you would be locked to one place and could not check around the periphery of the lift to check around as you are looking to travel etc.

thanks 1 user thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
gerrysharpe on 06/06/2017(UTC)
JHF  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2017 17:56:31(UTC)
JHF

Thanks Paul, You have clarified a few points. Not easy to explain in a few words - great to get to the end.

brianw88  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2017 19:36:55(UTC)
brianw88

Hi JHF

The reply from Paul is not strictly true. The need to wear a harness and landyard is dictated by a job specific risk assessment. If you look at IPAF recommendations you will see this, also most scissor lifts are fitted with lanyard anchor points.

paul.skyrme  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2017 19:58:52(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Originally Posted by: brianw88 Go to Quoted Post

Hi JHF

The reply from Paul is not strictly true. The need to wear a harness and landyard is dictated by a job specific risk assessment. If you look at IPAF recommendations you will see this, also most scissor lifts are fitted with lanyard anchor points.

Well Brian, I think I'll pass the details of the trainer and training organisation that I did my IPAF 1b, 3a & 3b with in August 2015 over to you and you can report them for being wrong, because that is what I was taught on the course, and my card is still valid, and it's not my first card either.

Would you like the details to report them for being wrong?

JHF  
#10 Posted : 07 June 2017 21:29:30(UTC)
JHF

Thanks for all the replys. My initial understanding was that you didnt clip on in a scissor lift; if you needed to move it you came down then move it then raise it up again. Still open to suggestions.
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#11 Posted : 08 June 2017 09:50:33(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Vertical Lifts

'The need for a fall protection system will be the outcome of a job specific risk assessment undertaken prior to work commencing and taking into consideration the manufacturer’s operators’ manual.'

http://www.ipaf.org/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/en/CatapultLeaflet.pdf

Invictus  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2017 09:57:16(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: Mr.Flibble2.0 Go to Quoted Post

Vertical Lifts

'The need for a fall protection system will be the outcome of a job specific risk assessment undertaken prior to work commencing and taking into consideration the manufacturer’s operators’ manual.'

It also says 

'It is not normally necessary for personnel working from a vertical lift to wear fall protection equipment, other than in exceptional circumstances.'

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#13 Posted : 08 June 2017 16:07:14(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Originally Posted by: Invictus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mr.Flibble2.0 Go to Quoted Post

Vertical Lifts

It also says 

'It is not normally necessary for personnel working from a vertical lift to wear fall protection equipment, other than in exceptional circumstances.'

They will never directly say that you do not need to wear them, hence why I posted that statement. They would not leave themselves open to someone not wearing one, getting injured and them claiming its because the trainer said they didn't have to.

JHF  
#14 Posted : 08 June 2017 17:35:05(UTC)
JHF

Wow, thanks for all the responses. So, is it that if they are using a scissor lift to for example inspect guttering, they dont need to clip on, minimal / almost no risk of over reaching (coming out). If removing roofing sheets(actual job) -  real risk of over reaching etc - clip on. The Risk Assessment (as mentioned above re IPAF guidance) should reflect this. Hope this is what is being suggested.

paul.skyrme  
#15 Posted : 08 June 2017 20:43:14(UTC)
paul.skyrme

We were told during my MEWP operator course a couple of years ago that you do not clip on in a scissor lift.

In fact the lift I did my test in, had no anchor points.

If you are over-reaching out of a scissor lift, it is not the right tool so is being misused.

Hence preventing the mis-use by demanding a harness is not right.  You need a different access method.

JHF  
#16 Posted : 09 June 2017 09:53:43(UTC)
JHF

Never thought we were using the wrong equipment!! if there isnt an anchorage point(s), and potential for over reaching (removing roofing sheets) then a "cherry picker" might have been the best option - must be clipped on!!!