Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fiesta  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2017 19:42:22(UTC)
fiesta

Hello All,

I have a difference of opinion with one of my Directors in the following scenario:-

We do refurb projects for one of the big 4 Supermarkets. The projects cover all parts of the store front of house and back.

Some of the work is carried out by our direct labour.

Some sub-contracted out by us.

Some by contractors nominated by the Client, but paid by us.

Some by contractors nominated by the Client & paid by the Client.

I'm maintaining that none of this matters. We are the PC and we are responsible for ensuring the H&S of everyone on site.

My Director feels that the last option on the list above, because they are paid by the client, fall outside of our sphere of control. I'd be happy to here any and all opinions on this.

Thanks in advance

Andy

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2017 05:08:35(UTC)
RayRapp

In principle the PC responsible for site safety and the co=ordination of the work, regardless of contractual arrangements. However, others have duties pursuant to CDM including the client.

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2017 07:01:01(UTC)
WatsonD

I would be inclined to agree witth you. The client has nomiated you as their PC, so regardless of how the contracts have been won then it bears down on you to run the site.

Make sure with your client that they are aware that any sub-contractor appointed by them will be subject to your own checks to ensure you fulfill your obligations.

The only way I could see that this wouldn't directly involve you would be if they were working completely independently from you, but if its your site they are accessing then simply turning a blind eye to them and their activities will absolve you of any responsibility.

andy.f  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2017 07:11:12(UTC)
andy.f

Being in the same industry as you, I would certainly agree the as PC you have overall responsibility for the site and therefore all contractors regardless of who appointed them.

Even when the developer overruns and the fit out commences ( which is quite common for us on new stores) it’s very difficult to separate the works and generally we end up inheriting the developer under our works as PC while they finish up their work.

Stern  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2017 07:27:30(UTC)
Stern

Fiesta,

I spent 7-8 as a H&S advisor in retail construction, working predominantly for the big 4 supermarkets. In fact, i probably know you!

Your question has been asked, and answered, a million times and you are 100% correct in your stance. Anybody who walks through that gate is your responsibility, regardless of who they are or how they are paid.

So far as overlap with the developer, this was something i've encountered a few times. Generally when we arrived for the fitout stage the developer would be finishing off external works. In these cases, the front doors would be locked and we access/egress via the rear. We would be under our own F10 as a completely separate site.

Where the developer needed to access the internals for the odd bit of snagging, they would come roud the back, be inducted, provide RAMS etc. Worked well.

MaxPayne  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2017 08:16:12(UTC)
MaxPayne

It makes no difference!  If the client has appointed you (in writing) as the PC then regardless of any client preferred contractors you remain the PC.

jay  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:28:24(UTC)
jay

Under CDM 2015, the PC has the responsibility for H& S during Construction Phase

However, if the construction work is undertaken in a operational supermarket, there will  be interfaces with the Client operations. These need to be  aprt of and clarified in the Construction Phase H & S Plan.

Therefore it will depend upon the details-if you have completely segregated areas or not.

MaxPayne  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:40:03(UTC)
MaxPayne

Originally Posted by: jay Go to Quoted Post

Under CDM 2015, the PC has the responsibility for H& S during Construction Phase

However, if the construction work is undertaken in a operational supermarket, there will  be interfaces with the Client operations. These need to be  aprt of and clarified in the Construction Phase H & S Plan.

Therefore it will depend upon the details-if you have completely segregated areas or not.

Agreed, but that's not what was described in the initial query.  I've seen clients fall foul of the regulator by attempting to split was is essentially a project into several just to avoid for example submission of the F10.  Obviously if the supermarket has a construction project running on their site they'll have other seervice and maintenance contractors coming and going, but they should be separate from the project in question and so the PC would only have cause to liase with them if they'd need to come onto the "construction site" etc.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/51/part/4/made

RayRapp  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2017 10:50:57(UTC)
RayRapp

My earlier response was short due to other matters and others have filled in the blanks. Nevertheless I feel I must add the spirit and the law of the CDM regs is about co-operation and communication. It's not about bureaucracy.

The client should ensure everyone involved in the project is aware of the programme of works, including contacts of other contractors and being invloved in site meetings. If they are not, I suggest the PC raise the issues formally with the client. The regulators will not be interested in excuses after the event.