Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joanna  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2017 11:37:21(UTC)
Joanna

It may seem a fairly obvious answer but . .  if drivers need to wear prescription specs when driving on HM Highway - should they be made to wear them when driving on private property around a production site?

I'd be interested in opinions taking into account the site is on private property, there are few cars, 2 FLTs working at any one time and good segregation between pedestrian and vehicular traffic.  FLT's move skips, reels and pallets inside and out.

Thank you

Edited by user 09 June 2017 11:41:45(UTC)  | Reason: additional word

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2017 11:54:21(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

Whether on private property or not people selected to operate lift trucks should be free from physical defects that might pose a threat to their own health or safety or the safety of others who might be affected by their operation of lift trucks.

Distance vision should be of the same standard as for driving a car on public roads. If distance vision is corrected by glasses or contact lenses these should always be worn while operating a lift truck.

This should form part of your risk assessment of the activities/equipment and your standard operating procedure.

I hope this helps?

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
Joanna on 09/06/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2017 12:05:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whilst I would concur that if the driver has prescription spectacles to satsify licence requirements for driving on the public highway these should also be worn whilst operating an FLT on private property.

However what about those employees who could be employed as an FLT driver and do not hold a standard driving licence so may be unaware of defective / deteriorating vision?

I have worked at two employers where our best FLT driver at each did not hold a UK road licence - here we had RA controls requiring an annual appraisal of vision using a number plate read at 20m conducted and signed off by their supervisor (and if they required glasses to read the number plate they had to wear them whilst on the FLT).

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2017 12:05:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Whilst I would concur that if the driver has prescription spectacles to satsify licence requirements for driving on the public highway these should also be worn whilst operating an FLT on private property.

However what about those employees who could be employed as an FLT driver and do not hold a standard driving licence so may be unaware of defective / deteriorating vision?

I have worked at two employers where our best FLT driver at each did not hold a UK road licence - here we had RA controls requiring an annual appraisal of vision using a number plate read at 20m conducted and signed off by their supervisor (and if they required glasses to read the number plate they had to wear them whilst on the FLT).

Joanna  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2017 12:11:36(UTC)
Joanna

A very valid point. However, our FLT drivers do have current driving licences for driving motor vehicles on HM Highways.

I would assume all FLT drivers would undergo health checks from time to time which may throw up anomalies such as prescription glasses and driving! As in this case.

Many thanks for your post.

lisar  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2017 17:35:05(UTC)
lisar

As a business we only give out free eye test vouchers to VDU users but I issue them to all our distribution centre workers who request them,so would agree with all the above comments
Bigmac1  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2017 10:01:57(UTC)
Bigmac1

Its not about whether they have a driving licence, they need to see what their doing lol

thanks 1 user thanked Bigmac1 for this useful post.
DavidGault on 03/07/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 11 June 2017 12:24:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Never assume - check, review and if wanting implement correction.

When health surveillance was introduced at one site (where it had previously been lacking) we discovered one of the drivers had early stage tunnel vision they had kept hidden through fear of losing their job.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 11 June 2017 12:24:26(UTC)
Roundtuit

Never assume - check, review and if wanting implement correction.

When health surveillance was introduced at one site (where it had previously been lacking) we discovered one of the drivers had early stage tunnel vision they had kept hidden through fear of losing their job.

sappery760  
#10 Posted : 12 June 2017 06:53:40(UTC)
sappery760

If your findings indicate that glasses are needed U then have to ask 'who should provide them' as driving on the public road for ones own pleasure is different to helping out an employer by driving for them in the course of their undertaking - 'who pays' is a management issue not a H&S issue

RayRapp  
#11 Posted : 12 June 2017 08:26:14(UTC)
RayRapp

I guess the simple to your question is yes - operators should be able to operate FLTs safely and if that includes wearing spectacles, regardless of whether they use them for highways, then they need to wear them. If there is any doubt I suggest an eye test in-house on a periodical basis.

Joanna  
#12 Posted : 12 June 2017 09:34:39(UTC)
Joanna

Thanks to you all for your opinions on this topic, its been interesting and helpful to read your thoughts.  Many thanks

DProsser  
#13 Posted : 12 June 2017 18:34:56(UTC)
DProsser

Hi Joanna,

As some have already stated. I would complete a risk assessment of the activity. Include your drivers in this process so they become aware of the hazards and risks involved. They are more likely to comply with control measures this way. 

They should be competent to drive the type of FLT they are using which includes being suitably qualified via training. I would ask did they pass the training wearing spectacles or not?

They should also be fit to work. Paragraph 52 of ACoP L117 - Rider operated lift trucks  - " For most work with lift trucks, a standard of fitness equivalent to that for the Group 1 entitlement (ordinary driving licence holders) would be appropriate. Activities such as working in a particularly demanding environment, working at night or moving highly toxic or explosive materials would probably be more appropriate to the Group 2 entitlement (heavy goods vehicle licence holders)." This would suggest that if they wear spectacles to drive on HM highways then they should wear them to drive FLT's.

I would also ask if they use spectacles for any other purpose, reading etc? 

If they are moving skips, reels and pallets and going from light to dark i would assume their vision is going to be reduced already, without 20/20 vision provided by glasses this would increase the risk of not seeing a pedestrian or obstruction and cause an accident. 

If they are not wearing spectacles when they should be, they will likely squint, leading to headaches, struggle to focus on safety signs, identify correct controls, not see potholes and spills on floor etc which could casue accidents. 

I do not think it would be unreasonable for you to request that they wear their spectacles whilst operating the FLT's.

Ultimately you need to ask, would this situation be safer if they wore their spectales when operating the FLT's? I would say yes.

thanks 1 user thanked DProsser for this useful post.
Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Stuart Smiles  
#14 Posted : 13 June 2017 19:55:51(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

You need to be able to deal with the question "he couldn't see and, if you had dealt with it there wouldn't have been an accident, would there???". 

As has been stated in other posts, for systems like FORS, a test every 6 months per person at a distance of 20.5m reading a number plate is what is in the driving test, but an occupational health regieme may be more of where you will want to be eventually. 

For drivers, we had a group of number plates, testing them on 3 to show compliance with a little form. Those who failed (or self reported) could then have a follow up, and catch issues with vision before they become more serious, had a line at end of corridor for testing at a measured distance. 

Book them a test at specsavers or vision express (other optomotrists are available)  for "driving", they also do safety glasses for a reasonable figure and a report. The test will ensure vision is tested in accordance with the driving test requirements,  Vision Express have a system of taking a picture of the eye so can "see" degeneration over time. Some may ask for a test for "reading/tv" rather than driving, which is why you need to book appointment and get some evidence of test results for file.  

Ask for a report/fitness and or prescription and you can get relatively in-expensive Safety glasses if required, (some are under £10.00 - can't complain ref cost)

You then need to enforce wearing, (and clean inc screen, mirrors, etc), to ensure compliance if/when issues are identified, inspections on forklifts prior to use. 

Also be aware that conditions such as Diabetes put you on a monitoring regieme and some eye tests have had the ability to detect conditions such as brain tumors so worth going to get a positive bill of health. 

consider the person to be the same as a machine - they need regular checks & maintenance to be "fit for use".

thanks 1 user thanked Stuart Smiles for this useful post.
Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:06:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ensure any spectacles required are fit for site purpose e.g. impact rating.

A general cheap pair for driving would not be suitable where the FLT driver frequents an area where pallets are fabricated with nail guns.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC), Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:06:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Ensure any spectacles required are fit for site purpose e.g. impact rating.

A general cheap pair for driving would not be suitable where the FLT driver frequents an area where pallets are fabricated with nail guns.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC), Joanna on 14/06/2017(UTC)
Stuart Smiles  
#17 Posted : 29 June 2017 21:03:58(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

At the she show last week, spoke to bolle: 

they are going to be doing a new service of prescription safety glasses "kit boxes", which you can give to person to take to opticians, and then they get to choose frames etc and safety glasses will then be sent out. 

other people do safety glasses too, however, their glasses are cool as well as safe, always helping people to wear them.

extract from email below:

Safety Eyewear Catalogue

http://app.box.com/s/0emj9mu9pld3iyydwhxueb7wk1qd8cro

Also our web site www.bolle-safety.com which features all our products as well as technical data sheets, info on European standards and answers to frequently asked questions is available for you to use. Please take the opportunity to register and use this excellent tool for any questions/queries you have. 

I love my contour's and think they are best sunglasses going. 

Joanna  
#18 Posted : 03 July 2017 09:38:09(UTC)
Joanna

Hi Stuart

Thank you for taking the trouble to communicate this latest information.

I will look into it.

Many thanks Joanna

DavidGault  
#19 Posted : 03 July 2017 14:47:44(UTC)
DavidGault

You should also consider depth perception checks.  Most OH providers and opticians can do that.  As others have said, cover it in your risk assessments and safe systems of work.