Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lisar  
#1 Posted : 09 June 2017 17:22:31(UTC)
lisar

My landlords sent someone to do an asbestos sampling. He came in just t shirt and jeans with no RPE or PPE. Scraped on all the walls and left the scrapings exposed. Is this correct as I don't dip into asbestos. When he scraped he's left debris on bread bin etc
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2017 19:01:42(UTC)
RayRapp

Lisar, it does not sound like a very good professional asbestos surveyor. That said, apart from wearing a facemask I cannot think of any other PPE which should have been worn. Taking very small samples (scrapings) on suspected materials will leave some small marks. Normally a surveyor will sample from a high corner or low down towards the floor to prevent any visable markings and use a small paint brush to repair if at all possible. They should then use a damp cloth to remove any debris. 

I suggest you advise your landlord or alternatively find out the name of the asbestos surveying company - they may be glad you have raised these issues. 

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2017 09:58:24(UTC)
Bigmac1

Shocking

Adams29600  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2017 08:26:28(UTC)
Adams29600

It would be expected that the person doing the sampling was trained and competent(?) and worked for a licenced company.

Normally, the analysts don't work for the asbestos removal companies.

If the analyst is taking samples, that suggests he suspects ACMs are present. If the sampling involves scraping, then the suspected ACMs are being disturbed.

For the analyst's own protection (remember he does this every day and has potential for frequent exposure) I would expect him to use a disposable suit, gloves and RPE for this work (but perhaps not for sampling that involves simply picking something up and bagging it). I would then expect him to strip off the disposable gear and bag it before getting in his van and driving off.

In a domestic setting, I would expect that the scrapings where the suspected ACMs have been sampled would be sealed before the analyst left (a dab on paint or PVA solution would be adequate) and any residues resulting from the sampling removed and bagged.

Otherwise, if the sample is confirmed to be ACM, the analyst has effectively disturbed the ACM and left it exposed for the residents to come into contact which would (I believe) be an incident notifiable to HSE.

A phonecall to your local HSE office would no doubt cause a response, but may leave you on bad terms with your landlord.

ACMs - Asbestos Containing Materials

Edited by user 12 June 2017 08:37:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified