Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phil H  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2017 19:03:25(UTC)
Phil H

I'm intersted in hearing what steps health and safety professionals and enforcement officers are doing to stem the seemingly acceptable practices in some kitchens which include breaching working time regulations, abusive and often violent behaviours towards other staff members. Food hygiene is easy to monitor, not so the mental health and wellbeing of young staff members.What can (or is) the industry doin to stop these practices?

Brian Campbell  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2017 20:10:21(UTC)
Brian Campbell

When you say health & safety professionals, is this not more a Human Resources issue??

lorna  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2017 09:12:35(UTC)
lorna

As an EHO in the 90's & then as a consultant 10 years later, I saw junior chefs & kitchen porters being assaulted, sometimes with pans. In the first job, I could raise it as a concern with the licensing magistrates and I had enforcement powers. In the latter, I informed the manager, included a reference to it in my report and told the Area Manager / Head Office.

But the previous poster is correct, it isn't the responsibility of a H&S professional or even an enforcement officer to stop it - the responsibility lies fair & square with the employer. 

kinning  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2017 19:15:48(UTC)
kinning

Having experienced bad behaviour in a kitchen under my watch, it immediately went to the HR department. this behaviour was quickly nipped in the bud and certainly was not tolerated.  I agree it is an HR issue.

Edited by user 12 June 2017 19:16:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

watcher  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2017 09:08:40(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: Phil H Go to Quoted Post

I'm intersted in hearing what steps health and safety professionals and enforcement officers are doing to stem the seemingly acceptable practices in some kitchens which include breaching working time regulations, abusive and often violent behaviours towards other staff members. Food hygiene is easy to monitor, not so the mental health and wellbeing of young staff members.What can (or is) the industry doin to stop these practices?

I'd be interested to hear what you think the H & S industry should be doing.

Invictus  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2017 09:16:06(UTC)
Invictus

Doesn't it also depend on what kitchens if it is a small independant restraunt they will not have an HR department, If it is s scool or company type kitchen then yes you can report it to the HR department of the company or school, but would they be breaching the working time directive, smacking workers etc. not sure that would go on.

fairlieg  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2017 09:39:14(UTC)
fairlieg

There is a little guidance available

http://www.hse.gov.uk/violence/preventing-workplace-harassment.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/violence/toolkit/reporting.htm

S Gibson  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2017 09:42:18(UTC)
S Gibson

Violence at work is a criminal offence whether verbal or physical and should be treated as such