Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ADALE  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2017 09:15:31(UTC)
ADALE

Hi all,

I'm looking for opinion on how the differences between amendments or new regulations have applied here. I can't see an obvious replacment for the 1992 Reg 6 for assessment, other than 2002 Reg 10 for 'PPE to be safe' or it's not to be supplied.

This implies an assessment and an old employer of mine still carried them out at the time of my leaving. But more and more other practitioners are sounding surprised at the term 'PPE assessment' during discussions. Have I missed something? How are people on here documenting the suitability, compatibility and person considerations regarding PPE assessments?

Thanks in advance

djupnorth  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:04:42(UTC)
djupnorth

Adale,

The 2002 regulations are 'consumer protection' rather than 'health and safety' regulations.  The applicable health and safety regulations are still the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992 (as amended), which require that PPE is properly assessed before use to make sure it is fit for purpose.

I trust this is of assistance.

DJ

ADALE  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:13:48(UTC)
ADALE

It is DJ

Thank you. No-one has ever discussed that before now, and I've never had cause to query it. Thanks again

I still wonder why so few have recently understood the original regulations (?)

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:53:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

Difference in what is being assessed

1992: suitability of a conforming device to control the hazard associated with the task in the workplace

2002: conformity of the device to the essential requirements of a harmonised european standard issued in pursuance of the directive

Nothing to do with understanding the regulations more a case of issuing mandatory PPE as one size fits all in support of blanket policy so the employer appears to be fulfilling their duties - a hard hat, a dust mask, a pair of boots, etc. - is less work than sitting down to conduct meaningful research, draw up a shortlist of suitable items, conduct employee trials and review their feed-back.

Posts regarding clean shaven policies for dust masks as RPE are a recent manifestation of your query - the RPE device fails assessment due to face fit so lets change the employee rather than resolve the issue at source or spending more money on a better suited device.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2017 12:53:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

Difference in what is being assessed

1992: suitability of a conforming device to control the hazard associated with the task in the workplace

2002: conformity of the device to the essential requirements of a harmonised european standard issued in pursuance of the directive

Nothing to do with understanding the regulations more a case of issuing mandatory PPE as one size fits all in support of blanket policy so the employer appears to be fulfilling their duties - a hard hat, a dust mask, a pair of boots, etc. - is less work than sitting down to conduct meaningful research, draw up a shortlist of suitable items, conduct employee trials and review their feed-back.

Posts regarding clean shaven policies for dust masks as RPE are a recent manifestation of your query - the RPE device fails assessment due to face fit so lets change the employee rather than resolve the issue at source or spending more money on a better suited device.

Ron Hunter  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2017 22:46:13(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Unlike reg3 of the management regulations, reg6 of PPE regulations makes no reference to a requirement to record that assessment. It may be inferred or implied, and it's surely best practice, but it isn't law. Nothing to stop that reg6 assessment being incorporated within the task assessment proper, and I suspect that's what most of us do.