Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swebster  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2017 13:38:51(UTC)
swebster

I'm hoping someone can help me out! We have recently (completely) demolished an old factory. The factory contained a fire sprinkler system, as part of the demolition work the system was decommissioned/drained. Our demolition contractor used a sub-contractor to do this bit of the work. They have provided us with a copy of the original report recommending the system be decommissioned and how, a copy of the quote for the work and then a copy of the invoice paid on completion. The demolition contractor has not got any other paperwork from the company that undertook the decommissioning.

My question is, should there be some form of decommissioning certificate or final report or is what we have above sufficient for the H&S file. (If it makes any difference, the site is now completely flattened and nothing goes on there anymore. It is secured (as it is in a town) and the plan is that we will hold onto the plot of land and then sell it at a later date, possibly with outline planning for housing).

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2017 14:17:49(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Am I missing something, if the factory is flat and just the land remains, what relevance is the fire sprinkler system in the H&S file. As you have a flat piece of land don't you just need to record information such as the site history, information on ground contamination. The route/location of under ground services - electrical/sewerage/water etc. Ground conditions as left after demolition.
thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
swebster on 17/08/2017(UTC)
Alfasev  
#3 Posted : 13 June 2017 14:50:08(UTC)
Alfasev

The decommissioning should have been carried out by the Client before the demolition contractor was on site and written confirmation included in the site report as part of the preconstruction information.

BS6187-2011 Code_of_Practice_for_Demolition is what the HSE expect you to work to. It states:-

The health and safety file should include the following information, as appropriate.

a) Description of the works undertaken and site location details.

b) Description of the site as is, including topographical details as necessary.

c) Any known underground residual risks remaining, i.e ground conditions, buried objects, voids and chambers.

d) Known service runs/locations and/or termination points in and around the site.

e) Details of the structural principles and safe working loads for floors and roofs.

f) Remaining proximity hazards for oncoming contractors or users of the site.

g) Water courses, drainage or soakaways remaining.

h) Safe access and egress points, boundaries and security concerns.

i) Any other information deemed relevant.

In addition, all service disconnections, drainage terminations, etc., should be recorded in the health and safety file that is compiled as the work progresses and is usually coordinated on behalf of the client.

As Ian Bell2 said, the risks associated with the sprinklers no longer exist.

thanks 1 user thanked Alfasev for this useful post.
swebster  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2017 15:27:41(UTC)
swebster

Thanks for the replies. The work took place before I was in post so I have none of the history for the site - am just picking up the pieces and trying to make sure we have everything! (I have been unable to track down at this stage all of the pre-construction information etc, it is very piecemeal and the person that kicked off the work is no longer working for us!). There has been a QS involved in the work and they are looking to release the remaining retention but they raised a query over the sprinkler system and if it contained contaminated water, how had that been disposed of and were there any remnants of the system anywhere. Not knowing how sprinkler systems run/work I wasn't sure if there would be tanks or such like anywhere which may still be in place which we would need to know about, hence asking the question!

stevie40  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2017 16:30:47(UTC)
stevie40

Originally Posted by: swebster Go to Quoted Post

Not knowing how sprinkler systems run/work I wasn't sure if there would be tanks or such like anywhere which may still be in place which we would need to know about, hence asking the question!

There are two types of sprinkler system, towns main and those that have pumps and tanks. 

Towns mains systems were prevalent throughout much of the 20th century in urban areas. They are fed from the towns main, from the unmetered side of the mains supply (fire fighting water is not metered). Decommisioning would have required severance and capping of this supply and would normally require water company involvement to isolate the supply while work is undertaken. 

Pump and tanks systems would have a pump room with electric and or diesel driven pumps. Water supply would come from above ground tanks, private reservoir, elevated or pressurised tanks. Pump room would be around 5m x 4m in size and will normally be external to the main building. 

Pump and tank systems are commonplace nowadays due to unreliability of the public mains. Up until the 1970s they were the preserve of properties where:-

a) were too remote from public main / insufficent mains pressure. 

b) additional pressure was needed due to the height of the property. 

c) there was a free, reliable source of water such as reservoir or stream that could be used instead. 

The companies property insurers will have carried out annual inspections of the sprinkler system whilst it was operational. If you can establish (usually from past EL certs) who insured it, their local surveyor may well have details of the system. Most insurers retain these reports for between 6 and 10 years. 

If you want to PM me, I might be able to find something on our systems if we insured it, or take an educated guess as to what you had if I can find historic photos of the site. 

thanks 1 user thanked stevie40 for this useful post.