Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rob E  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2017 18:51:45(UTC)
Rob E

can anyone clarify the requirement for window restrictors on windows above ground floor to prevent opening too wide. I understand the Management Regs requirements, ( keeping employees safe etc) but is there any specific legislation or Building Regs that apply. It seems preventing opening over 100mm appears common place. I suspect older buildings have restrictors that are easily overridden, in which case, significant investment may be required!
Tobin26388  
#2 Posted : 13 June 2017 22:01:18(UTC)
Tobin26388

Hi, the need for restrictors will depend on the risks in the building and the design of the existing windows. I hospitals and similar we install restrictors on all patient or public accessible windows to prevent deliberate self harm or confused elderly people climbing out. There was a court decision this week where a private care home was fined £0.5m following a resident falling to her death from an unrestricted window. There are numerous types of restrictors available. I usually specify jaclocks. These are about £20 each and usually simple to fit to existing windows. If you have vulnerable people in your buildings I recommend following the HSE guidance on falls from windows in health and social care (Google). There are also several NHS safety alerts on this topic which can be found on the web. Just ensure you specify tamper proof ones or remove the keys once fitted and locked. Otherwise staff will override them in Hot weather; defeating the object!
jay  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2017 08:53:38(UTC)
jay

Workplace Health , Safety & Welfare Regulations, Regulation 15  for Windows, skylights and ventilators

(1) No window, skylight or ventilator which is capable of being opened shall be likely to be opened, closed or adjusted in a manner which exposes any person performing such operation to a risk to his health or safety.

(2) No window, skylight or ventilator shall be in a position when open which is likely to expose any person in the workplace to a risk to his health or safety.

Refer to ACoP & Guidance for more details