Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve 40  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2017 16:00:42(UTC)
Steve 40

Hi, can anyone please clarify a queation posed to me. Does a lanyard, full body harness and other equipment used for lifting a person fall under LOLER and therefore require a 6 monthly LOLER thorough examination ?

thanks in advance. 

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2017 18:02:59(UTC)
RayRapp

I think I am correct in saying that if it is a workplace environment e.g. care home, hospital, etc, then LOLER applies. If the lifting equipment is in a domestic setting and a member of staff visits i.e. care worker, then LOLER applies again.

I am sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Steve 40 on 16/06/2017(UTC)
grim72  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2017 08:50:05(UTC)
grim72

Hi Steve I've sent you some info by PM but you might also find this HSE link of use: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg367.pdf

thanks 1 user thanked grim72 for this useful post.
Steve 40 on 28/06/2017(UTC)
chas  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2017 10:28:33(UTC)
chas

If you are talking about lifting equipment in a social care setting you may find the link below of interest....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hsis4.pdf

HSIS3 may also be of use.

thanks 1 user thanked chas for this useful post.
Woolf13  
#5 Posted : 16 June 2017 12:27:34(UTC)
Woolf13

Hi,

In short, yes it comes under LOLER. A device used for supporting the lifting and lowering of people, includes: harness and slings used when lifting patients.

If you are referring to harness/lanyard when working at height then depending on your risk assessment and inspection regime, if the equipment is used more frequently and in arduous conditions, the advice is to increase to 3 months. This is due to the increased chance of damage and degradation etc.

I hope this helps?

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.