Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 10:00:38(UTC)
chris42

While looking up some gloves specifications I came across a standard? That I had not previously taken note of. The gloves specification listed the usual EN388 (mechanical properties) and EN374 (Chemical) which I understand, but in the same section (standards) it listed 0086 CE.

Does anyone know what this is? Is this just CE marking or do those numbers mean something particular?

Chris

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 10:18:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Testing to EN standards that support various directives and regulations is undertaken by Notified Bodies - these are national organisations which the european comission has listed as competent for variuous duties against the various standards and directives

CE0086 is the notified body number for British Standarsd Institute

http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/nando/index.cfm?fuseaction=country.notifiedbody&cou_id=826

Edited by user 19 June 2017 10:21:10(UTC)  | Reason: added link to UK Notified Body listing

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 10:18:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Testing to EN standards that support various directives and regulations is undertaken by Notified Bodies - these are national organisations which the european comission has listed as competent for variuous duties against the various standards and directives

CE0086 is the notified body number for British Standarsd Institute

http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/nando/index.cfm?fuseaction=country.notifiedbody&cou_id=826

Edited by user 19 June 2017 10:21:10(UTC)  | Reason: added link to UK Notified Body listing

chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2017 10:24:37(UTC)
chris.packham

Chris

In all my dealings with gloves I have never come across this. A quick search on the Internet did not reveal anything relevant either. You mention EN374. I assume you are aware that whilst this categorises gloves according to permeation breakthrough time, the data provided bears little relevance when considering how the gloves will perform in practice. There are several factors that will affect how a glove performs under actual working conditions. For example I can show you a glove that according to EN374 has a permeation breakthough time in excess of four hours for each of toluene and MEK. Mix these 50:50 and the permeation breakthrough time drops to just 9 minutes!

Chris

chris42  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2017 12:16:08(UTC)
chris42

Thanks Roundtuit, it makes sense now why it is on the glove and why noted in some specifications. For once Google did not help me no matter what I typed in.

Thanks Chris, Yes I have noted you make this comment before, however in this instance it will only be for one chemical at a time and for splash protection in an emergency. Hopefully never used, but there is a requirement for us to have them.

I intend to come on your course at some point, hopefully soon.

Cheers

Chris