Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steven1980  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2017 12:45:37(UTC)
steven1980

Hi All

I am aware of the CAW regs and the requirement to deliver an asbestos awareness training course i.e. The individual must have adequate personal practical experience and theoretical knowledge of all relevant aspects of the work being carried out by the employer.

But have been looking for an Asbestos awareness training trainer course to supplement our asbestos coordinators knowledge so this course can be undertaken in house.

I haven’t come across such a course on my internet searches, does anyone know if such a course exists?

Thanks in advance

Steve

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2017 13:49:13(UTC)
RayRapp

Hi Steve

I don't know the extent of knowledge of your 'asbestos co-ordinators' but I would have thought a decent PP presentation is all they would need to deliver AAT, maybe supplemented with a little bit of homework on the subject might help.

AAT does exactly what it says on the tin, it's a heads up and does not require an in-depth knowledge of the subject. The main thing is to ensure anyone who comes across ACMs or suspects knows what to do. Do you not have an asbestos policy which articulates what operatives, supervisors or managers need to do in terms of managing asbestos?

There are companies who provide AAT and it might be worth considering sending some of your key staff on this prior to providing in-house AAT. PM me if you want more details.   

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2017 16:09:29(UTC)
JohnW

I created my own AAT course based on what is said in the regulation, so the certificate I give attendees says training is in compliance with Control of Asbestos Regulations (2012) Regulation 10.

Explain what asbestos is, the types, the products that contain it, the health hazards, what jobs are at risk, how to deal with suspect dust, PPE. 

Also the AAT is specific to the job of the attendee and ensures they are provided with the correct PPE and cleaning kit. For example an operative installing pictures/mirrors/ art in an old building, they know what to do if they get just a little suspect dust on their clothes (put on mask, use baby wipes, double bag them) or if something more serious where they may have got dust in their hair and all over clothes (put on mask, get help, undress, shower, all contaminated items double bagged.).

And then the attendees are given a 15 question multipe choice test. Often my attendees are Polish/Czech/Rumanian so it's important they understand, hence the test.

JohnW