Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ryangavin777  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2017 14:32:41(UTC)
ryangavin777

Hi all.... what do you think to this comment on a DSE Assessment?

"Regularly experience back pain when at my desk. Believe this is due to the vibrations in the floor

when pallets or bins are moved past the desk.

The desk is also located next to a bubble wrap machine that is noisy and packaging that is dusty

The desk is also exposed and could be knocked causing injury to the person using it."

Any direction would be great..... :-) thank you!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2017 18:27:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

blatantly obvious question can the work station be moved?

Edited by user 22 June 2017 18:27:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2017 18:27:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

blatantly obvious question can the work station be moved?

Edited by user 22 June 2017 18:27:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JohnW  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2017 18:59:52(UTC)
JohnW

Originally Posted by: ryangavin777 Go to Quoted Post

"Regularly experience back pain when at my desk. Believe this is due to the vibrations in the floor....

Nonsense. I expect she gets more vibration driving to work.

How tall is the employee? I did deal with a legitimate back pain complaint once for a 6'3" lady. We solved it by putting her monitor on top of two Argos catalogues and clearing stuff from under her desk so she could regularly adjust her posture.

​​​​​​​.

WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2017 07:28:22(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

"Regularly experience back pain when at my desk. Believe this is due to the vibrations in the floor....

How tall is the employee? I did deal with a legitimate back pain complaint once for a 6'3" lady. We solved it by putting her monitor on top of two Argos catalogues and clearing stuff from under her desk so she could regularly adjust her posture.

​​​​

Just a thought, but could you not have used the argos catalogue to source a nice monitor stand?
thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
DavidGault on 23/06/2017(UTC)
hilary  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2017 07:58:06(UTC)
hilary

I would consider moving the workstation firstly,  or if not possible installing an acoustic screen to cut down both noise and dust.  I think there are some valid points and having been made, you really need to be seen to be doing something.  The vibration issue needs some deeper investigation so perhaps you could sit there and have someone move pallets and other stuff around to see if this is a real issue.  You can get AV matting, but you would need to cover a large area to ensure that the chair did not roll off the mat and cause a fall issue.

I don't think any of this stuff should be dismissed without deeper investigation.  You asked the question and you got a response.  Now you need to deal with the fall out.

thanks 1 user thanked hilary for this useful post.
Invictus  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2017 08:00:43(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JohnW Go to Quoted Post

​​​​

Just a thought, but could you not have used the argos catalogue to source a nice monitor stand?

I could hear the dooh! from here.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 23 June 2017 08:18:47(UTC)
A Kurdziel

How much time do they actually spend at the desk?

Does the desk have to be there?

What do they do at that desk?  If it is just updating the data base then surely you could invest in something that runs on  a tablet?

achrn  
#9 Posted : 23 June 2017 08:51:11(UTC)
achrn

Argos catalogues are cheaper than monitor stands, and no less effective.  I generally recommend people use a book if they want to raise their monitor just a little.  Personally, I used a maths textbook (Kreyszig) for many years (but then IT replaced my monitor for other reasons and it was no longer required).

WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:43:31(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

Argos catalogues are cheaper than monitor stands, and no less effective.  I generally recommend people use a book if they want to raise their monitor just a little.  Personally, I used a maths textbook (Kreyszig) for many years (but then IT replaced my monitor for other reasons and it was no longer required).

Nothing says 'we undervalue you' better than a cheap, quick fix solution

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
JohnW  
#11 Posted : 23 June 2017 10:59:14(UTC)
JohnW

WatsonD wrote:

Nothing says 'we undervalue you' better than a cheap, quick fix solution

The lady later informed me she was grateful for her improved condition, and the quick solution.

Yes, we had conducted a full DSE assessment/review first. I think clearing out under her desk was just as important, she had been restricting her posture by squeezing her knees between the PC tower and boxes of files.

Edited by user 23 June 2017 11:01:24(UTC)  | Reason: typos

JavierGaspar  
#12 Posted : 25 June 2017 09:52:02(UTC)
JavierGaspar

Hi Ryan,

I would need more detailed information to be able to advise.

It seems the comments were made by the DSE user, perhaps via a self-assessment questionnaire, am I right? If so, such comments should only be used to inform a more comprehensive assessment.

As you know, back pain can be triggered by both work and non-work related factors. In case of the former, we are obliged to risk assessing any potential factors at work that could contribute to/aggravate/exacerbate the employee's pain. I would therefore suggest that a trained DSE assessor risk assesses the workstation as postural issues may be playing an important role. If the problem persists, either calling in an ergonomist or a referral to occupational health may be beneficial.

The DSE assessor should not only be looking at desk, chair, monitor and peripherals, but at user-workstation fit, exposure to MSDs, opportunities for breaks, frequency of breaks, lighting, noise levels - these are a source of distraction and stress which could lead to discomfort and pain - etc. She/he should also bear in mind both, DSE and Welfare regulations.

Sorry I cannot be more specific but don’t like prescribing without carrying out a good diagnosis first.

thanks 1 user thanked JavierGaspar for this useful post.
JohnW on 25/06/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#13 Posted : 26 June 2017 09:46:02(UTC)
Hsquared14

You need to do a one to one assessment with this person.  Firstly have they adjusted the chair correctly - most people do not adjust the back rest and a common cause of back pain is the fact that the lumbar support is not situated correctly in the lumbar area putting stress on the lower back.    Then look at the height of the chair, the monitor etc.

In response to the other issues I would look at whether the workstation needs to be in that location, especially if she is sitting at it full time.  Being in an environment that is not conducive to the work being carried out can be stressful which can be expressed as muscular tension and back pain especially if she doesn't feel physically safe.   Whilst the noise and vibration is not the direct cause of the back pain it will be an underlying cause of the stress and tension which is the most likely cause.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
JohnW on 26/06/2017(UTC)