Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew Sharman  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2017 15:20:24(UTC)
Andrew Sharman

Talking with a group of safety advisers this week and they shared a big challenge - how to influence people to do what we want them to do when we're not their line manager.  It's certainly something I have to think about in my job as a consultant in safety, and I recall clearly my days as a Safety Adviser in organizations where I'd have to influence - without having the authority over my stakeholders.

There's a classic Harvard Business Review article on the topic you can access here: https://hbr.org/2008/02/exerting-influence-without-aut

The article advocates 'lateral leadership' (itself a fascinating topic, Google it!) and key points are:

1. Build a network of influencers around you
  2. Get buy-in by asking questions
  3. Think of your audience as a 'peer' rather than a 'target'

Hope that this is helpful - please do share your thoughts.

thanks 4 users thanked Andrew Sharman for this useful post.
JEB104 on 17/07/2017(UTC), aud on 29/07/2017(UTC), Conkcity on 14/08/2017(UTC), dwf76 on 09/10/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2017 12:35:56(UTC)
Hsquared14

That's very interesting - in my experience people generally termed "charismatic" display those three characteristics so can charisma be taught / learned / acquired? 

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Andrew Sharman on 07/07/2017(UTC)
JohnW  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2017 13:04:38(UTC)
JohnW

Andrew, I haven't read the link you have posted (yet) just wanted to add a comment that I find it also a challenge talking with clients' employees where my work experience is well outside theirs, but I need to convince them that I know what I'm talking about.

My background is chemical/paint industry and automotive production, but since becoming a consultant I've had to get involved with other businesses (in order to get enough work!) so most of my clients now are machine tool engineering, joinery, plastic manufacturing etc. I'm able to understand most of the technical processes in their manufacturing, but examples of what becomes a challenge include:

- talking to groups of fork-truck drivers about safe working/lifting (I've never driven a fork truck),

- talking to machinists about recommending guarding against the hazards of old lathes and grinders (I've never operated an old machine tool machine)

- persuading a team to improve their manual handling when I don't actually do their job

- I often have to rely on 'case histories' of serious accidents within their industry but they will often think I am just trying to scare them into doing their job differently.

I've found it important to have always previusly discussed the issues with their supevisors / managers, must have their support first.

John

thanks 1 user thanked JohnW for this useful post.
Andrew Sharman on 07/07/2017(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2017 10:06:00(UTC)
Hsquared14

JohnW  I've always taken the approach with groups of people whose job I don't do of asking them what the dangers, difficulties or risks are and opened up a debate about what can be done to make it safer.  Then you can get your messages and ideas across by getting them to explore various options in terms of ways of working.  This approach has always seemed to work for me - I've gained valuable insight about how the job is done but established that I am not telling them (imposing) different ways of working but helping them to identify a better way of doing the job.

thanks 2 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Andrew Sharman on 27/07/2017(UTC), JohnW on 01/08/2017(UTC)
Andrew Sharman  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2017 10:33:58(UTC)
Andrew Sharman

Thanks Hsquared14 for your comments, I think these add some real value here.  After all - great leadership is not necessarily about having all the right answers, but more about being able to ask the right questions.  One of the questions I like to use when speaking with shopfloor folks - especially when I don't know much about the process they are working on - is:

"If I were working ehre with you today, what would I need to know in order to be able to work safely?"

When asked sincerely and with curiosity it's always got a really good conversation going.

thanks 2 users thanked Andrew Sharman for this useful post.
JohnW on 01/08/2017(UTC), Hsquared14 on 08/08/2017(UTC)
Swygart25604  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2017 15:14:50(UTC)
Swygart25604

Hi Andrew,

A good question and I could see that in the right context (as you say) that would work a treat......thanks for posting it!

thanks 1 user thanked Swygart25604 for this useful post.
Andrew Sharman on 25/08/2017(UTC)